Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Lets see your 29er Scandals
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve had a frame (nice raw finish) since xmas and the build is finally coming together thanks to the Halfords wheelset PSA (Hope/Crest) and a Reba RL fork from Merlin. Rest of the components will be parts bin or a raid on the xcracer store. First foray into big wheels and I’m quite excited.

Be cool to see your finished articles for inspiration 🙂

wwaswas

Not raw and not the best shot but;

Was running it SS for a while too.

Quite liked it (did the Brighton Big Dog on it and it was good) but it was one bike too many when a new one arrived.

DrP has it now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas, like it. Toying with SS but will probably go 1×10. Will probably end up trying a few different builds as it’s going to be a bit of a 29er experiment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Currently being stripped before selling the frame!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Its been a great bike for the money, will be getting a dropper soon too.

More musings here > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=218402

Muke
    Free Member

jasonm945
    Free Member

Not the best picture and not my garden!!!

nbt
    benman
    Free Member

OP, your build sounds a lot like mine…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all, nice photos.

YoKaiser, thanks, shall check out your musings later. (Liking the x-lite clamp!)

Benman, spent ages hovering over the white or black fork buttons! Went for black in the end but had I seen yours I may well have gone for white! Will probably go flat bars, 1×10, and more xc race than trail but other than that it’ll be quite similar.

Btw, anyone know what diameter the head tube is? Can’t see it on the on-one site.

nbt

headtube is tapered – 1.5 at the bottom, 1.125 at the top

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks NBT, that’s the steerer tube though. Wondering what the actual head tube diameter is? I think it’s 44 top and 49.7 bottom but the frame is in the loft and I need to get it down to check. Fork is tapered so I think I need a 2F Hope headset (or is it tapered E2?) Anyone know for sure?

cp

Here’s mine, with a very similar base build to what the OP is suggesting. Reba RLT with Hope Pro2 Evo on Crest.

They ride so well! A superstar T2 fits and is so far so good on mine.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=425

cp

assuming you’re using a taper fork, the SHIS identification is ZS 44/28.6 | EC 49/40

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks cp, nice bike 🙂 Looks like it is ZS 44/28.6 / EC 49/40, or Hope 2F then. Shall try and do a bike build thread when I’ve got the parts and time.

scud
    Free Member

Here’s my STW box ticker (1X10 with Works Components thick/ thin ring, rigid 29er, smattering of Hope anodized parts and tyres that look nice, but aren’t actually that good!)

Built up on the cheap for the winter.

Gutterball
    Free Member

Great looking bikes. Now discontiuned – I procrastinated too long and missed the bus.

cp

Now discontiuned – I procrastinated too long and missed the bus

According to an email I have from On One from a couple of weeks ago, they reckon they have more on order/on their way. I’d heard the discontinued rumour so I quizzed them when deciding between 18 & 19.5 after the 19.5 had gone out of stock… but they told me they’d checked with purchasing and were on order. ‘It’s one of our most popular frames’.

cp

and tyres that look nice

that’s debateable!

mrblobby
    Free Member

scud, a bit of a dogs dinner that 🙂 Not bad as a winter bike though!

Gutterball
    Free Member

According to an email I have from On One from a couple of weeks ago, they reckon they have more on order/on their way. I’d heard the discontinued rumour so I quizzed them when deciding between 18 & 19.5 after the 19.5 had gone out of stock… but they told me they’d checked with purchasing and were on order. ‘It’s one of our most popular frames’.

Really? I emailed them a couple of weeks ago too, and was told ‘discontinued, no more coming’. I was surprised – as you say, they seem very popluar and well received.

I’ll keep checking.

scotroutes

I didn’t have it for long

mattmbk
    Free Member

vorlich
    Free Member

Now running Jones bars and Arch Ex

ratherbeintobago

I’d heard the discontinued rumour so I quizzed them when deciding between 18 & 19.5 after the 19.5 had gone out of stock… but they told me they’d checked with purchasing and were on order. ‘It’s one of our most popular frames’.

On a slight tangent, anyone know if there’ll be any more 16″ frames?

(If you say his name three times on a thread…)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite a variety of builds and uses on here! Anyone racing on theirs?

cp

I am, it’s what I built it for 🙂

Bontrager 29-1 2.2 tyres set up tubeless
    2×9 (on an XT triple crank, granny and 36t middle), 11-34 cassette
    It’s now sporting a PX saddle, Giant Connect SL stem, Answer flat bars.

I reckon I might soon make it 1×9, I never seem to use the granny ring.

Gets me to some decent finishing spots on local (peak district) MTB orienteering events 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not done any xc racing for a while so may try and do a Brass Monkeys and the xc spring series on it but with second kid on the way in Feb I think it’ll mostly be training/local rides for a while. My trail bike build is just too cumbersome for local stuff (unfortunately not in the Peaks) so something racier will be good, probably should have got a CX bike!

tommid
    Free Member

fatladridesbikes – Member

Currently being stripped before selling the frame!

I’d be interested in the frame Simon. Drop me an email (address in profile).

Cheers

mrblobby
    Free Member

…. you do realise it’s pink, right? 🙂

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Very early one, still going strong.

Like the sounds of a pink one though…..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Monkeyfiend, I rather like that. I did seriously consider those forks.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

This is what it looked like for the past few years.
    The idea now is that I go out regardless of the weather, so the forks are ideal.

Rorschach
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Monkeyfiend, well the first build picture was nice!

Rorschach, are those Jones’d XTR cranks? I have a set in the parts bin that I’m tempted to tackle with an angle grinder. Which ring are you using for the stupid BCD size?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blackspire Mono Veloce.CRC had 33t ones on offer for £25 a while back….so I bought all of them (2 down,2 to go!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lucky find! Getting hold of rings is the only thing that puts me off really. Could go homebrew but I’ve heard the wait can be months 🙁

Bazz

Bit late to the party but here’s mine

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice build Bazz. Old skool with a triple and bar ends. I like.

carlphillips
    Free Member

deffo discontinued i called them today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Lets see your 29er Scandals’ is closed to new replies.