Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Let's Play Fantasy Forum Features…
  • Jamie
    Free Member

After the advent of the highly useful, and I imagine wildly successful, share function. Imagine there are many new exciting features coming to STW. As a result, I was thinking about the features other forums have, that would be genuinely useful on STW.

In no particular order:

1. PM Functions – Would allow easy communications between members, particularly in the classifieds, and would negate the need for paging threads, obfuscated email addresses in profiles, and also may help mods/admins contact users if they have out of date email addresses.

Obviously, it also gets around the issue of some members not having emails in profile, which is not always the case that the member doesn’t want to be contacted. They may have just forgotten, or assumed their account email is used.

2. The option to have absolute dates, rather than relative – When searching through old threads, it would be handy to know when information was posted. As, for example, any thread posted 12-24 months ago, is simply logged as ‘posted one year ago’

3. Being able to quote a users posts via 1 button – Anyone who says its the most efficient way to quote a users post, has never been on any other web forum. It would totes amazeballz to just be able to have a ‘reply” button on every post. You could have it next to the share one.

….I know none of the above will happen, but the thread kills a few mins while I wait for the washing machine to finish.

P.S Oh, and animated avatars, and sigs, of course.

scotroutes

A Tapatalk interface (for Premier members only – obviously!!!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Likes*

Posted from my lethargic old Samsung laptop while quaffing a Caesar Augustus.

scotroutes

A search function that actually works (e.g. it has a list of all user names or a username can be input manually).

Duffer
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    After the advent of the highly useful, and I imagine wildly successful, share function. Imagine there are many new exciting features coming to STW. As a result, I was thinking about the features other forums have, that would be genuinely useful on STW.

In no particular order:

1. PM Functions – Would allow easy communications between members, particularly in the classifieds, and would negate the need for paging threads, obfuscated email addresses in profiles, and also may help mods/admins contact users if they have out of date email addresses.

Obviously, it also gets around the issue of some members not having emails in profile, which is not always the case that the member doesn’t want to be contacted. They may have just forgotten, or assumed their account email is used.

2. The option to have absolute dates, rather than relative – When searching through old threads, it would be handy to know when information was posted. As, for example, any thread posted 12-24 months ago, is simply logged as ‘posted one year ago’

3. Being able to quote a users posts via 1 button – Anyone who says its the most efficient way to quote a users post, has never been on any other web forum. It would totes amazeballz to just be able to have a ‘reply” button on every post. You could have it next to the share one.

….I know none of the above will happen, but the thread kills a few mins while I wait for the washing machine to finish.

P.S Oh, and animated avatars, and sigs, of course.

POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

The problem with the ‘Quote’ idea is that people tend to re-quote huge reams of text and/or images.

Good ideas otherwise.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Some kind of remote detonation button beside each forum members name.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Duffer.

True. Some forums get round that by having the quote box collapse, if the quote runs over a certain length.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The problem with the ‘Quote’ idea is that people tend to re-quote huge reams of text and/or images.

CoughcoughJunkyardcoughcough

Jamie
    Free Member

CoughcoughJunkyardcoughcough

He’s more of a bite-size nugget quoter, than a huge reamer.

tenfoot

A VIP forum for mag subscribers 😀

piemonster

He’s more of a bite-size nugget quoter, than a huge reamer.

I don’t think we should be discussing his sexual preferences tbh.

bruneep

What about a coffee forum?

thegreatape
    Free Member

quaffing a Caesar Augustus.

Is this a euphemism?

thepurist

How about a “posts since your last visit” option, and an “email me when someone posts on this” option…

CountZero

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use the Share facility? I do like the idea of a one-touch ‘quote’ button.

stevied
    Free Member

The option to leave a message on a user’s profile. That way it would be easy to leave feedback for classified sales/purchases..

toys19
    Free Member

editing they have this on ride.io:
    You can edit/delete your own posts for ever
    OP can delete thread or any post in thread

I do not use the share feature.

piemonster

*stalks toys19 posting history to see what he’s got to hide*

toys19
    Free Member

loads!!!

Nah, just sometime’s you wish you hadn’t that’s all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t think we should be discussing his sexual preferences tbh.

Also, size isn’t everything.

Is this a euphemism?

I’m now lapping up a Bad King John. Make of that what you will.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Toys19

Agreed. I think they should keep the editing time lock in the classifieds, though. Just to stop people changing descriptions at a later date.

I’m now lapping up a Bad King John. Make of that what you will.

Also, who says lapping? I can only assume CFH is a Furry.

leffeboy

A forum that mods can’t see

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Editing time should be at around 12 hours…so, when you’ve sobered up reasonably.

Northwind

The editing lock works well I think, considering the edit wars that can go on in that 15 minutes in a Heated Debate. And making quotes easier would probably ruin it for Junkyard.

But yes search engine is just broken.

Jamie
    Free Member

4. Mandatory pictures in adverts. – Just one would be enough.

…as for search, I just use Google, but it would be nice if clicking advanced search actually went to the advanced search.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or cancelling a mistaken tap on “Report Post” in iOS didn’t bring up another box saying “Report Cancelled. Please provide a better description.” 😡

spooky_b329

Don’t agree with the quote function…some users will default to quoting everything they reply to. Perhaps if the quote button just entered a single line stating ‘In reply to post 6 by Jamie that would be a good compromise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But then you need to read back to that part of the thread

Like I dont have a Chrome extension that does that for me 😉

I think Jamie has nailed the essential bits.

Drac

A forum that mods can’t see

Isn’t that called mlehworld?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think Jamie has nailed the essential bits.

Was he a tender lov[Stop that right now. Mods]

bearnecessities

Some kind of remote detonation button beside each forum members name.

That has some merit.

Obviously, it would need to be democratic. Say, 10 people vote for the remote detonation, and then it’s all go.

However, I like the simplicity of the forum and Google solves any search issues. Let them fork the squilliions into an effective seach function.

HOWEVER. It should be mandated, that any poor sod with a stolen bike to report, should state the make, model and location in the thread title. Reasons are obz.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would like to have all of bearnecessities opinions struck from the record. On the basis that they do not agree with my own.

mogrim

No no no NO. As is, any posts that might have been made in, ahem, work hours rather neatly disappear from the record.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d like to see a simple icon that identifies if the poster is pissed or not.

That would solve a lot, I mean a lot, of replys and inane conversations 😆

nickdavies

Nah, just sometime’s you wish you hadn’t that’s all.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiV-B-XZ3tA[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d like to see a simple icon that identifies if the poster is pissed or not.

Done.

P.S: Lay off the meths, bikebouy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ta!! Much appreciated, akchuwally I have ad two pints of Ho-Hum from the Hampshire Bowman.. And now watching Coxy on Yesterday 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

now watching Coxy on Yesterday

I have no idea what that means. Guess it’s the meths talking.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, should be a gin bottle, shirley?

Am also watching Cox on TV. Make of that what you will.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

A **** of the week poll.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Let's Play Fantasy Forum Features…’ is closed to new replies.