Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Lets have your summer recipes then, oh culinary mastercheffy types
  • binners

Following on from winters Slowcoookertrackworld thread, where you came up trumps with some belters, lets have your favourites for when the suns out.

I’m thinking of doing Chargrilled tandoori tuna steaks, or spiced lamb kebabs tonight

Anything that involves me having to fire up the barbs for the first time this year gets extra points

Lets have ’em then. GO!!!

bearnecessities

Have a glut of courgettes from gardening efforts?

Knock up this easy and suprisingly nom-nom little accompaniment for your BBQd meats.

Grated courgette (coarse)
    Olive oil
    Lemon Juice
    Lots of coarse Pepper & an ickle bit of salt
    Grushed garlic.

Refrigerate for 30 mins max, or it starts self-destructing.

dawson

Pork pie.

oh, wait, you can’t barbeque pork pie, that would be wrong

jambalaya
    Free Member

Buy Ottolenghi’s book Plenty, wonderful salads (warning: you’ll have to buy lots of “middle class/poncy southerner” ingredients)

Steaks marinated in red wine and Worcester sauce (ideally overnight) – cooked on bbq at last minute. New Potates rolled in olive oil/plenty of salt and pepper and roasted in oven (30-40 mins), rocket salad with simple oil/vinegar dressing. Steak marinade recipe is from an old Delia Smith cookbook 😳

For summer BBQ season make your own chilli oil and keep it in the cupboard ready to go (recipe in an old Ainsle Harriet BBQ cook book – ready steady cook 🙂 )

Bregante

lemonysam
    Free Member

Jerk chicken – Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipe

1½ tbsp cayenne pepper
    1½ tbsp paprika
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1½ tsp mixed spice
    ¾ tsp ground allspice
    60g brown sugar
    3 tbsp honey
    1½ fresh green jalapeño chillies, chopped (or any fresh green chilli)
    1 red bird’s-eye chilli, chopped
    1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
    4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped

Salt and black pepper
    Lumps of chicken

Fry off the spices and then blitz with the other ingredients. Stick it in a freezer bag with as the lumps of chicken and squoosh around a bit. Leave it for a few hours whilst you marinade yourself and then barbeque.

Also, virtually everything off this site: http://amazingribs.com/

atlaz
    Free Member

If you’ve got any stale bread, a panzanella salad with some BBQ’d meat/fish is excellent

binners

jambalaya – that steak in red wine sounds like a sure-fire winner. Think I’ll get a couple in on the way home, and marinate them for barbing tomorrow. Inspired sir!

khani
    Free Member

Buy an ice cream maker, make up some custard with a few extra drops of vanilla essence and leave it to go cold, make some rhubarb crumble and leave that to go cold, chuck it all n the ice cream maker, eat.. 😀
    Ok there’s no bbq involved, but apart from that it’s really really nice..

binners

Bregante… we’re a bit more adventurous in our house

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tell em’ to bring thier own… 🙄

maccruiskeen

As above Ottolenghi stuff is great – tends to require a lot of shopping though.

Although the books are good he’s had so much good stuff published online, particularly in the guardian I just google whatever looks nice in fruit and veg isle plus ‘ottolenghi’ on my phone and something nice pops up

This tomato and pomegranate salad is a really good bbq accompaniment

This one Pasta with Red Snapper and Harissa is an absolute stonker too (I do it with Sea Bass)

The great thing about his stuff is all the flavours hold their own rather than merge together so every mouthful is really interesting – its a proper conversation killer.

But anyway my summer not-ottolenghi fave is

Dead fast, dead easy, dead fresh Aspargus and Lemon Soup:

Supermarket bunch of asparagus (chop off anything woody)
    supermarket bag of sugar snap peas
    1 onion
    about half a bunch of celery

1 litre of chicken or veg stock

1 lemon
    a dollop of creme freiche to serve if you like that sort of thing (boak)

Chop all the veg up fairly fine then fry them for on medium heat 10 mins – till they are greener, softer and maybe caramelise here of there

Add the (boiling) stock and simmer for 5 mins

Liquidise all that with the zest of the lemon

season and add the juice of the lemon to taste – prob somewhere between half and all of it depending on what you like

Tastes like summer

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Feta, tomatoes, basil, cucumber.

edhornby

While the BBQ is on get 2 peppers and an aubergine on while it’s hot, when grilled pull the skins off and put the flesh into a bowl with generous olive oil and seasoning. Serve on crusty bread

Superb

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Just bung some reggae reggae sauce, some chicken breast and a chopped onion in a bowl. Leave for a while in the fridge. Then barbecue. Eat in a pitta with some coleslaw. Boosh.

Konastoner
    Free Member

There ain’t none better than this: –

BBQ university recipes

maccruiskeen

for desserts -this Jamie Oliver grilled strawberries with pimms and shortbread

Rather than grill it I cook it in a big skillet over the last of the heat from the BBQ

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get BBQ going, BBQ some good dry cure bacon, toast some ciabatta rolls on the BBQ too, fire bacon in toasted roll with whichever strong cheese you like, and some caramelised onion chutney too.

Wash down with a couple of bottles of Arran blonde, and a cheeky wee homemade bramble whisky chaser….

Oooft.

daftvader
    Free Member

chicken zorba…
    chicken breast cubed/filleted (also works with lamb)
    2tsp ground coriander
    2tsp ground cumin
    2tsp ground turmeric
    1tbsp mint sauce
    1 lime juiced and zested
    1tsp honey

mix all together and marinate for 20 min to 2 hours. stick it on a stick (disposable gloves are very useful for this) and bbq till cooked.
    can be served with pittas and (sp?)homous or on its own

binners

jambalaya – I did your marinated steak and new potatoes recipe last night. It was bloody awesomz!!!! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners, do you drink milk? Of course you do, you’re a normal, well balanced person! So, thou shalt eat veal. It’s lovely! It has to be British rose veal (Sometimes called pink veal) though, nothing else will be accepted.

Nice simple way to prepare is to do a schnitzel with it. Decent dry breadcrumbs, with a good helping of powdered almonds mixed in. Season the veal escalope with salt and pepper, then cover in plain flour, then dip in a beaten egg and then cover in the breadcrumbs. Decent heavy frying pan, with a good dollop of hot olive oil in it. Couple of minutes both sides, until nice and crisp.

Serve with a good salad and new potatoes, or pasta with a slightly spicy tomato/chilli sauce on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners – excellent my pleasure but really thank Delia and the makers of Worcester Sauce ! Perhaps that’s why you’ve been posting so eloquently, steak is brain food. 8)

I do like my food hence the login name.

johndoh
    Free Member

Get the slowcooker back out, slow cook a shoulder of pork for, ohhh I don’t know, about 3 weeks, then take out, glaze with Levi Roots Reggae Sauce and finish it off on the BBQ.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You need some pudding as well
    whip some cream with some whisky and toasted pinhead oatmeal
    mash some brambles with some honey
    fold the bramble mix into the cream mix
    decorate with brambles and toasted oatmeal.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Levi Roots Reggae Sauce

top tip from @johndoh – I remember when he came onto the Dragon’s Den, instant winner.

binners

Jambalaya – I marinated it for 24 hours, then briefly introduced it to a very hot pan! It was bloody gorgeous! Uber-tender!

Just doing smoked salmon and scrambled egg bagels. Mmmmmmm. Proper summer food!

Flashy – I’ll give that a go! I bloody love veal!

binners

For the best summer breakfast ever: break your eggs into a bowl, whisk with plenty of black pepper, cut smoked salmon into small pieces, whisk in with the eggs, go back to bed and read the papers for an hour or so. Then cook your scrambled eggs, and it lightly poaches the salmon as they cook. Serve on toasted bagels with loads of butter! Result! 😀

grum
    Free Member

Butterfly leg of lamb marinated with garlic, oil and rosemary then BBQed is amongst the finest things I’ve eaten. Kettle BBQ and meat thermometer needed really. Will post a recipe later.

colournoise

Sometimes simple is best. Get a couple of racks of pork ribs. Poach very gently for about 2 hours in beef stock, carrot, onion, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and (most importantly) a few star anise. Let cool in the poaching liquid before seasoning really well with salt and black pepper and throwing on the barbecue (or even in a hot oven) until it gets a nice bark on it. No need for a sticky sauce, just serve with a simple salad and some warm bread. Best ribs ever.

somafunk

Deck hair in middle of lawn, large bucket of iced water into which I sink my bottle of Hendricks gin and bottle of tonic, if I wish to impress the ladies I throw in a whole cucumber. Take large glass and recline in deck chair, fill glass with 1 part gin, 3 parts tonic and drink, for added effect take a bite of cucumber – repeat till you see double or bottle is finished.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Lets have your summer recipes then, oh culinary mastercheffy types’ is closed to new replies.