Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • lets have some cyclist friendly low cholesterol meal ideas
  • iainc

following the other threads, which I think have made a lot of us reappraiase things….

I’m dropping the lunchtime crisps and chocolate biscuits.

I love a salad at work, with mixed leaves and mixing in some timnned fish and some spicy stuff, nuts, seeds.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

why low cholestrol ?

iainc

yeah, thought provoking thread going on there and I for one am keen to see some new meal ideas, particularly ones that fit in to an office ‘bring from home lunch’ environment

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As the book ‘the great cholesterol con’ reckons – high cholesterol is likely a marker for some other issue that is the problem, not the problem itself.

The body need cholesterol to function, and will synthesis it if it not getting enough, so religiously sticking to a low cholesterol diet is a mistake, the book reckons.

Interesting and persuasive book – particularly on the advice to avoid statins like the plague.

boxelder

Go veggie, or at least 4 days a week.
    You’ll feel all sorts of benefits.

iainc

aye, I reckon I could do that, just about, as not a huge meat addict.

Inspire me with some tasty lunches then please 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

But TurnerGuy if we do that for everything we see – base our approach on the outliers – then nothing will happen.

The body need cholesterol to function, and will synthesis it if it not getting enough, so religiously sticking to a low cholesterol diet is a mistake, the book reckons.

Yes, but your cholesterol is artificially high due to diet surely that’s a bad thing?

If the author was so enthused about his subject he wouldn’t be selling it as a book, but surely giving the information away for free? Phrases such as ‘the Great Cholesterol Con’ remind me of ‘The Great Global-warming Swindle’ which, lets face it, told complete lies and a touch of paranoia.

Give away the book, lets get the scientists to look at the evidence and respond accordingly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Give away the book, lets get the scientists to look at the evidence and respond accordingly.

But they don’t have a fad diet to push.
    Good list to check
    http://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but your cholesterol is artificially high due to diet surely that’s a bad thing?

Well, as I understand it, simply eating cholesterol doesn’t increase your blood cholesterol. It’s more complicated than that. I have read somewhere that high GI carbs are implicated in this – that if you eat high GI carbs AND saturated fat/cholesterol, then this causes high whatevers in your blood that leads to furry arteries. But only if you have the genes for it.

Although as I’m sure you’ll have sussed out by now I’m not a doctor so that’s just forum chat and interest rather than advice.

Nobby

Yep. That way you could still have your crisps & choccy biscuits and even top ’em up with some nice stilton. 😉

As my lil sister knows, veggie does not mean low cholesterol.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m not sure that’ll help with high cholesterol, a mate of mine is veggie and has been for about 30 years and his cholesterol was sky high when he was recently checked by the GP.

geoffj

But lay off the dairy

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But they don’t have a fad diet to push.

neither does the book – doesn’t suggest anything on the diet front at all, as far as I can remember. And it is only one guy – a GP.

Ends up reckoning that stress, and often stress from social displacement, is one of the main causes of heart attacks, but also talks of the mechanisms for heart attack.

Also interesting how many long-term studies there have been on cholestrol and how little few conclusions any of the statin pushers can extract from them.

I think I lent the book out otherwise I would include some quotes.

Giving it away for free might not actually work – people have a tendency of associating cheap/free with useless.

legolam
    Free Member

Also interesting how many long-term studies there have been on cholestrol and how little few conclusions any of the statin pushers can extract from them.

Can people please stop peddling this conspiracy theory guff about statins. It’s bad for my blood pressure.

We had a debate here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/statins-450-million-a-year-set-to-increase/page/2

Please look at the links and graph I posted on that page of the statin discussion. It’s one of the best researched and most understood bits of cardiovascular medicine. No-one gets rich off statins any more. We all still “push” them. They’ll put me out of a job one day (cardiologist).

legolam
    Free Member

Odd that the author of that sells a book called “The 24 hour diet”…

iainc

c’mon, where’e the food ideas ? 🙂

Surely the docs and the wannabys are all tucking into something tasty and healthy as I type ?

Macavity
    Free Member
    legolam
    Free Member

Don’t have youtube at work 🙁

But I’m sure your link has been peer-reviewed in the highest quality journal 😉

Interesting that the author of the above “Cambridge Med Science” document has also never published any peer reviewed articles on cholesterol…

Anyhoo, I have to go and finish my salt and vinegar crisps and full fat coke before heading back to theatre to unblock someone’s arteries… 😉 😉

Solo
    Free Member

What bothers me about this thread is that you all appear to have missed an important point about the MI thread.

The OP suffers a gentic disorder which gives rise to the condition known as hypercholesterolemia. So, while that thread was started out of someone’s concern for their fellow man/woman, please remember that the OP’s issue is a rare one.

A diet higher in carbs appears to generate an increase in VLDL, which is stuffed with the triglycerides produced by your liver in reaction to all the carbs you may be eating, especially if they are man made / refined carbs. Once the VLDL has donated most of its triglycerides as its floated around the body. It has then become small, dense, LDL. Which has been observed to adhere to the linning of your artery walls, and thus giving rise to the development of atheroma.

😯

iainc

The OP suffers a gentic disorder which gives rise to the condition known as hypercholesterolemia. So, while that thread was started out of someone’s concern for their fellow man/woman, please remember that the OP’s issue is a rare one.

errr, no I dont (as far as I know), I started the thread looking for healthy low cholesterol meal ideas !

xherbivorex
    Free Member

okay, well for lunch today i had a salad made up of red quinoa (cooked in veg stock and a heaped teaspoon of turmeric), chopped radishes and spring onions, very thinly sliced fennel bulb, sliced brussel sprouts sauteed in olive oil with fresh red chillies, sliced avocado and the juice of half a lime.

not for everyone, sure, but very healthy and tasty too IMO.

my cholesterol has never been out of normal range and i have it tested every 6 months or so (amongst other things) due to having a history of heart problems.

Solo
    Free Member

errr, no I dont (as far as I know), I started the thread looking for healthy low cholesterol meal ideas !

I was referring to the thread spawnofyorkshire linked to.

And a rquest for low cholesterol shows you up a bit. Cholesterol is produced by your liver to a genetically predetermined level. Trying to lower it will only force your liver to try to make up the short fall. Better perhaps you look into why cholesterol has been villified and then deciding (forming an opinion) on whether cholesterol deserves the wrap its been given.

However, this may require the purchase and reading of a book or two. Which I know is cheating, by STW forum standards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had 2 cheese tomato and chorizo toasted rolls and an apple. It tasted great so try one of them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Porridge is a pretty good bet. If you can get organic oats, and raw milk, have it 30/70 with milk/water. Mix in fruit if it need livening up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And organic oats are low cholesterol?

GHill

So, does anyone have any suggestions on tasty food as a bring to work lunch, preferably something healthier than crisps and chocolate biscuits?

Wait, what site am I on again…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Salad, some of last night’s dinner to reheat. Some nice sandwiches on thick bread with lots of nasty carbs 🙂

Most things will be better than crisps and chocolate biscuits

legolam
    Free Member

Why are sceptics only ever sceptical about the things they don’t believe in, not sceptical about everything?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think, though am quite happy to be corrected, that you’ve got this arse about face so to speak.
    The scientists have already looked at the evidence. What the author of the book is doing is publicising existing scientific research and how more recent science is contradicting previously held beliefs to a wider audience.

AdamW
    Free Member

And a rquest for low cholesterol shows you up a bit. Cholesterol is produced by your liver to a genetically predetermined level. Trying to lower it will only force your liver to try to make up the short fall. Better perhaps you look into why cholesterol has been villified and then deciding (forming an opinion) on whether cholesterol deserves the wrap its been given.

My ‘opinion’ would be worthless. I know next to nothing about the cardiovascular system. Such ‘opinions’ are the reason there’s so much controversy about climate change, when anyone, regardless of knowledge or ability, has an ‘opinion’.

Thanks but I’ll go with what the current medical views are, and change mine if they change theirs as I don’t have the knowledge to make a reasoned ‘opinion’. If I’m told to take statins on Wednesday I may just have to, even though I don’t particularly want to. Previously I have managed to reduce my cholesterol level due to radical change in diet and a lot of exercise so my ‘genetic’ level of cholesterol must vary based on that.

Anyhoo, going back to the OP, I have a really nice recipe for a pork cobbler. Topping made with flour/fromage frais/parsley and filling with pork, carrots, swede, celery, parsnips, leeks, beef stock, tomato puree and pearl barley. Very nomish and very low fat (you don’t use any).

EDIT: And no, I will never buy “What the doctors don’t tell you”, a type of scaremongering rubbish “magazine”!

iainc

However, this may require the purchase and reading of a book or two. Which I know is cheating, by STW forum standards.

oh well, I stand corrected and will scurry off to Amazon for some books….oh, hang on, some of those are just part of the fad diet gravy train 🙂

anyway, I managed to skip the choccy biscuit and have had 3 of my 5 plus bits of fruit, and a nice salad for lunch !

I wholeheartedly agree with the intentions of the post I made initial reference to and firmly believe that balanced diet and exercise is a big chunk of a healthy lifestyle

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

And organic oats are low cholesterol?

Organic oats, more likely to be representative of actual food than non-organic. Actually should have said organic milk too. Same goes for any food. I’m not suggesting that non-organic food is necessary bad, just you have a better chance of it being good if its organic.

If you’ve not read it, I recommend…
    http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/
    …fascinating read on so many levels.

slowoldman

As a change from tinned fish how about some scrummy smoked mackerel?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

may have missed it earlier in thread but dont statins cause muscle wastage or something or make more prone to damage?.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

fad diet gravy train

is that the same train that the iDave diet was part of and which found a lot of support on this forum ?

The book I recommended was written by a Doctor and, as I say, is quite persuasive and presents some good opinions.

He points out that the evidence around at the time he wrote the book did indeed show that statins reduced your risk of another heart attach once you had had one, but didn’t show any change in your mortality rate, so you just died of something else.

There are too many lipid hypothesis skeptics around – if the evidence was really that compelling then they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on – but it doesn’t appear to be.

Some of the trials have been quite large and long but they have still have had to make meta-analysis conclusions from them to draw any conclusions, which seems a bit dodgy to me.

It’s not as if the side effects from statins aren’t significant…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

may have missed it earlier in thread but dont statins cause muscle wastage or something or make more prone to damage?.

lots of people complaining of side effects here :

http://www.saga.co.uk/health/medicines/statins-case-against.aspx

zilog6128

My top tip for healthy lunches is simply to cook a healthy dinner (or tea, or whatever you call it!) but do extra so you can take it in a lunchbox the next day, or even freeze it if there is loads extra.

My “emergency” lunch if I haven’t bought anything is stuff I can keep at work, normally a sweet potato done in the microwave, a tin of tuna & a small tin of chickpeas with a nice load of full-fat, no sugar salad dressing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘lets have some cyclist friendly low cholesterol meal ideas’ is closed to new replies.