Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Lets have a campervan thread
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Ours is treated like a member of the family now.

Seen twice a year and the cause of arguments with the wife?

simonm
    Free Member

must post pics of my bongo

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Some more Bongo shots for you SimonM:

France:

Time to relax by NeilCain, on Flickr

Slovenia:

blip-20120729DSC_0127 by NeilCain, on Flickr

France again, in awkward company:

Bit of a fish out of water. First stay at a French aire. by NeilCain, on Flickr

Steveo

After looking at many campers, this has been near on perfect us;

Its one of the best I’ve seen for mtb’ing and travels.

We’ve had it for a few years and due to job changes, we no longer get the time off needed to justify it. So its for sale, if anyone is interested.

Its on ebay.
    ebay link

If you want any more info, just ask.

NZCol

OOh will you lot stop it, i’ve been having a few ‘mares getting a California (long story) and had decided to give up. Then this thread starts and i read it, then a Cali appears and I am now going to look at it. This could be an expensive thread, i’d have to make the Cali my everyday car (to work 3x a week circa 20kms). How bad would it be ?

evolution-graffix
    Free Member

Here is my van with a fresh respray

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…to work 3x a week circa 20kms

My better half does that in the Bongo, so I’d presume it’d be OK.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is that another T4 Multivan owner Mr Glover?

Yup, mines a German Multivan II with the swivel and slide middle row seats and the 150
    Engine.

Bloody love it !!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

NZCol – Member
    OOh will you lot stop it, i’ve been having a few ‘mares getting a California (long story) and had decided to give up. Then this thread starts and i read it, then a Cali appears and I am now going to look at it. This could be an expensive thread, i’d have to make the Cali my everyday car (to work 3x a week circa 20kms). How bad would it be ?

T4 or T5?

As above, my T4 is my daily driver and used as a second family vehicle as well as holiday home. It’s fine for both despite being 17 years old, and to be honest I think it’s generally been more reliable for being in daily use than it would have been if it had been parked up in the drive for half the year. It’s a SWB pop top so I can take it anywhere I could take a normal car. Fuel economy is fine and it’s a 1.9TD so mechanically pretty simple (albeit a tad underpowered sometimes). 2.5TDI is more powerful, but more complicated etc.

If I want to get somewhere fast or we’re going a long distance to visit family etc we’ll still take the car though – it’s more economical and I try to avoid putting too many unnecessary miles on the van given it’s age.

T5 Cali is a cut above the T4 in terms of comfort, drive and gadgets etc. If I was lucky enough to be able to afford one, I wouldn’t hesitate to have one as my only vehicle – ideally the 4Motion version.

Mark_K

Morzine
    Do motorhomes count ??? My home away from home done me proud everywhere from the Alps to wales and even use it just for days away riding (nice to be able to have a brew afterwards :p)

Mark_K

However if you realy want to mix your riding with a camper !!!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Another Freda/Bongo here

Unconverted, so basically a big pop-top MPV that doubles as a tent on wheels. By far the best thing we’ve ever bought.

steveastbury
    Free Member

[/url]null[url=http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=434240549955103&set=a.421710321208126.101125.349036601808832&type=3&theater]null[/url]Here are a few of the coach ive just fitted out.
    This sleeps 8, has running hot water, shower, gas, sky tv etc!!! same you couldnt fit it all in a van!

Dave
    Free Member

I think I prefer the simplicity of having just a bed in the Multivan.

Don’t want/need cooker, shower, toilet or TV.

wors

Thanks for all the photo’s, been looking for a VW or similar, so I can use it as a ssecond car, but be able to get away for weekends or so without the hastle of packing the car with tent etc. Trouble is as there is 3 of us, the prices for vans with pop up roofs are massive.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

wors – Member
    Thanks for all the photo’s, been looking for a VW or similar, so I can use it as a ssecond car, but be able to get away for weekends or so without the hastle of packing the car with tent etc. Trouble is as there is 3 of us, the prices for vans with pop up roofs are massive.

Define massive? You can get a good Mazda/Ford Bongo/Freda (same thing) for well under five grand

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Our Freda has eight seats and the rear rows fold down into a bed that is bigger than the double one at home 🙂

would certainly second not needing cooker/shower/jacuzzi. Just take a camping stove. Quecha Base Seconds a an awning for under £200 more

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Trouble is as there is 3 of us, the prices for vans with pop up roofs are massive.

Pop up is great but does add to the cost. You could also look at a fixed roof van conversion with cab hammocks. Pop up roof can be retrofitted later if required.

http://vw-beds.com/products/cab_bunk.html

alfabus
    Free Member

@ormondroyd – which base seconds tent is that? how have you attached it to the side of the van?

Dave

Shmikuk
    Free Member

Pictonroad, nice bus, saw one last weekend on the m3, looked big from our hitop t3. Is your t3 for sale? If so, I’d be interested in details please. Thanks, ian

Simon

alfabus – Member

@ormondroyd
    – which base seconds tent is that? how have you attached it to the side of the van?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-living-area-id_8208602.html
    We use one or two of these as alongside our Bongo as an awning, doesn’t attach to the van but canopy above tent door matches up with the van door pretty well.

gazc
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of our 1986 VW T25 on a moody day in the lakes. Bought it from the nice chap who owns the Holy Trail in Mach, fitted it out myself with new carpeting, new crash tested RnR bed, seat belts, Ikea units, 12v LED lighting and a nice combined cooker/sink unit etc etc. My girlfriend made the curtains 😉 Head gasket went in February though so we’ve put a 2.0L Impreza engine in it 😛 Goes like stink now 😆

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Yep, what Simon said about the Base Seconds. No point in attaching, it fits great anyway and works as a drive-away awning

pictonroad

[pendant] It’s a T3 not a T25….[/pendant]

gazc
    Free Member

Type 25 and Type 3 are the same, but there are two variations split between early and late models

cozz
    Free Member

ive got his astro v6 4.3 litre, like driving your living room down the road, big leather armchairs, and bench seat folding electronically to make a bed

off to scotland in it soon, 1500 miles i reckon, budget is £500 for fuel ! but it’ll be a lovely trip!

pictonroad

gazc – Member
    Type 25 and Type 3 are the same, but there are two variations split between early and late

Type 3 is a rear engined car. All Transporters are Type 2 and the T3 variant of a Type 2 is a Transporter built between (roughly, excluding syncros) 79 and 90. T25 is a made up code used in the UK, maybe GSF started it.

And there is a rough cut off on between early and late vans, 85-86 but the changes are minor.

Sorry, I’m a massive Volkswagen stalker…

pictonroad

And you have a Dodge Dakota too now Cozz, see you on Friday!

James

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Mrs KoB and I have been considering a T4 California for a couple of years. We hired one this year for a Scottish road trip which sealed our love for one.

Therefore I’d be interested in VW owners opinions about living with a LHD vehicle in the UK. I didn’t find it an issue during the week we had it but Mrs KoB didn’t feel confident driving it.

Gravy
    Free Member
    Sancho
    Free Member

anyone know if you can get an awning for the back doors of a T5

pictonroad

Mrs KoB and I have been considering a T4 California for a couple of years. We hired one this year for a Scottish road trip which sealed our love for one.
    Therefore I’d be interested in VW owners opinions about living with a LHD vehicle in the UK. I didn’t find it an issue during the week we had it but Mrs KoB didn’t feel confident driving it.

I’ve had loads of LHD vehicles, cars and vans. It’s never bothered me from the first time I drive one, I change several times day without thought, even had LHD with dog leg boxes. However, the Mrs hates it, and from my experience, it’s the same with my friends with California vans..

Make of that what you will…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

We brought the missus’ Golf over from Germany when she moved and it wasn’t ideal swapping back and forth between left and right hand drive. It wasn’t too bad, just not ideal.
    I certainly wouldn’t go out and buy a LHD camper van.
    Having said which I wouldn’t buy the new Cali anyway, can’t believe they got type approval for it with the sliding door on the wrong side. Typical VW.

pictonroad

Typical VW?

Based on what?

therag
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

My T4 Multivan is LHD. I bought it in Germany because the Multivan II was never imported to the UK and its the one I wanted.

I got used to it in a couple of weeks, and since then can change between LHD and RHD no problem, at home or abroad.
    I know loads of people with LHD (cali’s/Multivans etc) and everyone says the same.

Don’t let it out you off.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

To be honest I do most of the driving anyway and have never had a problem with adjusting to LHD and back again. It’s more the missus but I’m sure she’ll get used to it 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Heres mine 20 years old this year and still going great a couple of pictures from this morning!

Probably have to sell it soon 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Lets have a campervan thread’ is closed to new replies.