Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Let's go nuclear
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Donald. There is a clear large majority against new nuclear power stations in the scottish political bodies and amongst the public. Nor is there any need for new nukes to supply power for scotland. Over tha past years the amount of power exported to England is equivalent to the amount generated by nukes in Scotland.

I do not believe any new nukes will be built in scotland. Certainly not in this review nor whilst there is a SNP administration

rkk01
    Free Member

Scotland will not be nuclear free, irrespective of who is in the Scottish Parliament,and irrespective of whatever enrgy reviews or needs…
    .until there is no further need for Faslane

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rikk – faslane will go as soon as the scots parliament has the power. Its one of the main reasons I support scots independence and I bet its within a decade

mt
    Free Member

TJ – "Its the wrong answer to the wrong question. Energy saving and renewables could easily fill the gap if the same money was spent."

Partly right on renewables but (not) if you include wind. Energy saving process is already starting in lots of industry I can assure you, however the message is not getting to everyone. We do not help wasting power on the interweb. In fact many technologies that are in common use in homes now are much more power hungry than those that they replace (flat screen tellies etc).

Lets assume that we have 5,000 windmills it's winter, very cold due to the high that is covering most of the country (this happens at some point each year, maybe for a day sometimes a week our more), it will not be windy on most of these days. Cover will be required for times like this, so the choice will be coal or nuclear as the rest of the renewables will be at full stretch. With the increase of powered airconditioning in summer a similar situation can (nearly did last year) occur, not enough power produced for that being used. We will have CHP/waste to energy or incinerators in old money as the programme for building these is now well underway but it will not be enough to provied cover for windbased renewables.

At some point someone is going to get there head round the idea that everyone can be a micro generator and provied small amounts of energy for themselves, perhaps all it will do is keep acouple of lights on but alternatively it may be just enought to keep the electric central heating pump running on their gas central heating, oh and the pilot light on.

Power generation is a strategic issue in the UK now and the enviroment is sadly not at the top of the list of issues to solve. It could have been if plans had been made ten years ago. But hey who'ed trust a politician to see past the next election of a vested interest and think of the good of the country.

Thats say on the subject, off to look at making a small windmill for the garage. Had to edit as usual.

donald
    Free Member

Certainly not in this review nor whilst there is a SNP administration

Which is why I say in twenty years time.

tankslapper
    Free Member

TJ

This from a Labour Party campaign leaflet for Beaconsfield 1982 for a T.Blair.

“Labour is the only party pledged to end the nuclear madness.”

I guess people change their minds 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[tongue in cheek]

good for you TJ, and when you run out of energy/money I'm sure England will be more than happy to supply you with more than enough energy to keep you in deep fried battered cream eggs indefinately. At a price though obviously? I mean it's not like being one big union benifits both countries at all does it, in fact f*** off the lot of ya!

[/tongue in cheek]

On an asside, there's some bolloks on this thread about what to do with nuclear energy. For example;

Did you know you could quite happily handle the fuel rods before they go into the reactor with your bare hands? The white gloves are just to keep your grubby fingerprints from spoiling the fuel. They'r too hot afterwards and take a while to cool down, which is why they'r sat in concret baskets up in Cumbria.

Build them in towns……
    Heysham 1&2
    Dungerness A&B
    Ok, Morecambe and Dungerness are hardly the cosmopolitan capitals of the world, but last time I checked neither was a smouldering hole in the ground.

Moses

Hartlepool, on the other hand, probably should be a smouldering hole in the ground.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

maybe is should be, but given nuclears safety record, unlikely to happen any time soon.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Lets assume that we have 5,000 windmills it's winter, very cold due to the high that is covering most of the country (this happens at some point each year, maybe for a day sometimes a week our more), it will not be windy on most of these days. Cover will be required for times like this

Look up CAES on google and Sirius PLC.

The UK have a leading company in the use of compressed air energy storage for this exact situation.

ransos
    Free Member

Given that nuclear will require a large public subsidy, it's reasonable to look at what we might do with that money instead. TJ is right to point out that the most efficient option is to stop wasting energy in the first place – so subsidy could be used to provide free insulation for every house in the UK, for example.

Once we've done that, then lets return to the discussion of how much power we actually need to generate.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

the most efficient option is to stop wasting energy

I believe the market is doing a pretty good job of forcing this issue at the moment. £2000 a year energy bill anyone?

ransos
    Free Member

"I believe the market is doing a pretty good job of forcing this issue at the moment. £2000 a year energy bill anyone?"

You'd think so, but it isn't translating. Mind you, there are a couple of good reasons:

1. Private rented accomodation – no incentive for the landlord to invest.
    2. Solid-wall housing – expensive and difficult to insulate.

As I alluded to earlier, if every house had adequate loft and wall insulation, then it would be reasonable to explore how we go about generating power. But we're nowhere near that stage. Unfortunately, the giovernment has left it too late, so it seems as though nuclear is the inevitable medium term solution.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

If you're Pro-Nuclear:
    Please name 1 thing you need power for so badly that it justifies creating nuclear waste.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Please name 1 thing you need power for so badly that it justifies creating nuclear waste

Hospitals,

And whats so bad about nuclear waste (without geting hysterical, please give me facts)

mt
    Free Member

Lardy_biker – very interesting they got a mention recently on some work I was involved with, did not realise they were so far on. Can see that there are the existing places to do this. If it works it'll be another addition to renewables (is it?) but will not get us away from the requirement for power station building. The countries needs(wants) are to big, can you imagine what would happen if the Xfactor was not on one night due to a power shortage.

I'm all for a mixed solution meself with many ways to make power. Using less would be the first place to start though. Can't help feeling that we are a bit trapped by the national grid thinking which is wasteful it's self.

mt
    Free Member

ooOOoo

This forum.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is not a spoon. the toxicity with no way of safe disposal or storage. The history of leaks of radioactivity causing multiple cancers. The radioactive soup that is now the Irish sea from illegal and accidental discharges from Sellafield.

The storage ponds at sellafield are in a really dangerous state – and they are the best solution we have?

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

mt.

They just bought the patents to do the CAES thing using CO2 which has been caught and is being stored. Its an interesting company. Would you care to allude where they were mentioned?

As ever, mixed IS the way forward.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Much as I love a good lynching,

Sellafield is not run by the bunch of cowboys Greenpeace would have you believe.

Cancer (and other clusters) occour everywhere. The Greeks discovered it as a disease (the name comes form the spiders web type apperance of the skin of some of the corpses looking like crabs). And Im pretty sure the Pathenon and temple of Zeus were famous for their architecture, not their nuclear power.

Cornwall is pretty radioactive too, must be all those nuclar power stations disguised as cute seaside cottages. I mean, it's not possible for an area to have a higher than average background radiation naturaly is it?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hospitals – yes a good answer, but what about personally, in your home?
    STW – ridiculous. This is a trivial use of electricity.

I'll admit nuclear has a good safety record, but we're only 50 years into its use. The repercussions of a problem could be horrific.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Sellafield and legal / illegal discharges from it are clearly responsible for irradiating the Irish sea. Many leaks and intentional discharges over many years.

http://www.lakestay.co.uk/hot.htm

and loads of others. An estimated half tonne of plutonium has been dumped into the irish sea

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

but we're only 50 years into its use.

How about being a little more positive and changing use to development in the quote above. Refining and deverloping processes has to make the use more efficient stable and safer?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ooOOoo – safety record good? Windscale / 3 mile island / chernobyl / dounray. How many cancers?

The problem is that once the radioactive pollution is in the environment it is very hard to remove – plutonium is constantly being found on the beeches around dounray

rootes1

actually a key waste of power if the national grid system itself…

why do you think birds sit on power lines? why? as they are warm due to the resistive losses. Transmission losses are huge.

a move to decentralised power would help and is happening but only on a small scale at the moment.

the key to future energy security is a. to get the mix of sources right – this will include nuclear and to get on and build stuff now rather than wingeing about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd say 50 years and I can only think of 3 big events
    Winscale – very old crap design

3 mile island – pilot relief valves are never 100% reliable, I'd be suprised if they'r stil used in the industry (we dont use them if we can help it)

Chernoble – crap design (no containment) , crap controlls (they didnt actualy know it was going to blow up) , crap procedures (safety systems turned off for an experiment)

higgo
    Free Member

Again, this statement as if it were fact…

The storage ponds at sellafield are in a really dangerous state

how are you defining danger?

A small child could drown in a storage pond – is that enough to call them 'very dangerous' or do you have some rationale to back up what you regurgitate as 'fact'. What level of quantified risk are you equating to 'really dangerous'?

rkk01
    Free Member

We deal with human health risks at work, including excess cancer risks.

It is undeniable that radioactive particles wash up at Dounreay (very low population access to that area), and that there are cancer risks associated with civil nuclear power programmes.

However, this is all about risk perception. The numbers (in the UK / W Europe) affected by radiological contamination are incredibly small – especially when compared to other anthropogenic contamination sources that are widely overlooked by society and the media.

The use of coal and oil as fossil fuels (and chemical feedstocks) also has a legacy of carcinogenic contamination – but these are chemical carciongens, not radiological carcinogens, so do not attract the same dread factor as the N word.

How many people have died of asbestos related cancers (mesothelioma) as a result of exposure to asbestos lagging material in thermal energy plants??? (power stations and boiler / heating plants). How many people are exposed to combustion residues and poor air quality as a result of oil and coal burning??

I don't claim that nuclear is energy generating panacea. Personally I would like to see a mix of hydro, tidal, wind and micro generation – but for the moment we need to address the huge gap between our electricity generating potential and our energy demands.

Wasted energy should be a criminal offence – but how would you set the boundaries?? It really winds me up to see office / reatil space fully lit up at night – but would you also criminalise house owners for leaving security lights on if they are out of the house, for example…??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dounray I've not studied

Windscale's problems were mitigated by the filters (ironicaly added as an afterthought to the cooling chimneys and though and unnececary and expensive addition)

3MI – cancer and illness rates are aknowlaged to be too low to detect even if they do exist.

Chernoble – As I said, it was a horrendous f**** up by the soviet union. Would not and could not happen again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

And whats so bad about nuclear waste

LOL what a daft question.

Until Chernobyl I believe they said this Would not and could not happen ….

mt
    Free Member

Lardy_biker – Subject of compressed gas generation came up at meeting about another type power generation. I was under the impression that it was a concept and had not been trialed yet.

With you all (and Rootes1) the way on mixed solution from big power to domestic generation. We should stop looking at it as a problem and see it as a marvelous opportunity, in fact I find the ideas that are comming really exciting. Don't have problems with some nuc though nor a bit of coal for that matter. Considering all the waste we make CHP in cities has got to be a must. What about a small windmill on every building, street light and road sign, you could go mad with ideas and designs.

rkk01
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

And whats so bad about nuclear waste

LOL what a daft question.

On one level it is….

But there is a coal fired power station near me – surrounded by hectares of landfill containing PFA (pulverised fly ash) – which is reputedly contaminated with asbestos dust. The large city located downwind is unable to achieve air quality standards on the days when that power station is operating….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What about the half tonne of plutonium in the irish sea?

I agree that there are risks in all ways and that the risks of nukes are oft overstated. However the helath risks from the radiacivity are far greater than many would have yu believe.

Teh ponds at Sellafield – sounds like you guys know more than me – but my understanding is that they are not sure what is in them, the concrete containment is cracking up leading to groundwater leaks and that they are full anyway – no one has any clue what to do with this stuff in them now – it cannot remain there for ever but no future disposal method has been found.

I say again – tell me how to gt rid of the dangerous high level waste and I'll accept nukes. No one anywhere in the world has a solution to the disposal of the high level waste

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and I believe I said Chernoble was a complete and utter f**** up, a bit like riding offroad without a helmet (safety systems turned off), blidnfold (poor controll systems), and experimental work (riding the rangers path at speed), then wondering why its all a bit painfull.

The reactor design was never used outside the soviet union for a very good reason.

kimbers

lets be honest growing global population, a middle class explosion our electricity usage is gonna go through the roof what happens if electric cars become the norm when the oils gone??

nuclear and maybe fusion- go iter!!!
    and look the oils going soon, we are gonna have to dig up the amazon and the antartic but eventually well run ou

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/09/peak-oil-international-energy-agency

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Windscale – large accidental release of radioactivity after a fire in the 50s and continual release of contaminated water even now.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Mt

There is an operational CAES plant in ireland and one on the go in germany (Huntorf). Ithink these will grow in use over the comming years through (in part) eco concerns but in reality the carbon credits attached to there use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I say again – tell me how to gt rid of the dangerous high level waste and I'll accept nukes. No one anywhere in the world has a solution to the disposal of the high level waste

Ironicaly NIMBYism is the way foreward on this, the argument in the USA about where to burry it (Yukka Mountain, etc) has gone on for so long that keeping it in above ground concreet baskets as it cools is begining to be looked on as the long term solution (well guarded, accurate inventory, no leaks etc etc etc).

And in case the idea of half a ton of uranium in the irish sea is scaring anyone, there's proababy several times that in the Solent, Valencia harbour, Aukland harbour.

rkk01
    Free Member

So, can anyone explain to me why we shouldn't have a Severn Barrage??*

20% of the UK's energy demand in one hit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its not uranium – its plutonium – rather more nasty. Thousands of times as toxic.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Let's go nuclear’ is closed to new replies.