Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Let's build a shed….
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Bit of a hiatus to do some proper work and a long weekend away with the family.

Ply-lining done and insulated the walls. Will insulate the roof on Wednesday I think. Hopefully get the cladding at the end of the week or early next week.

Must build the doors and shutters some time…

For those that wanted to know, Ive just had the bill from the builder’s merchants in.

The shed is 10′ x 11′ and 6’8″ to the verges. Another 3′ to the ridge.

I get between 30% and 50% off list so these prices are for me. That’s not to say list isnt overinflated in the first place, but if you want to compare with your own merchants then I pay £13 per 8’x4′ sheet of 9mm ply.

Ply lining 16x 8’x4′ = £210
    Insulation (40mm Xtratherm) 16x = £189
    roofing sheets for the lean-to = £50
    Synthetic Slates for the shed = £117

Cladding will be about 45p psf, so about £200.

I cant find the invoice for the stud timber. Will add it when I can find it…

I’ll probably use a roll of membrane in there too.

Stoner
    Free Member

£300 of timber for stud, frame and trusses.

So about £1k for the whole shed.

surfer
    Free Member

Wheres the van? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How much was the Paslode?

Or was it borrowed?

molgrips
    Free Member

That is one bad-ass shed.

Stoner
    Free Member

Paslodes borrowed from my builder mate who is now on a diving construction course somewhere north of Hadrians Wall.

love using them (got the brad nailer and the heavy artillery one), but they can be a bit frustrating as the battery connection can be a bit ropey and it wont fire just when you’ve got everything where you want it and your arm muscles are going into spasm 😉

van’s cowering in the corner away from the nailguns.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

battery connection can be a bit ropey

Oh yes, tell me about it. You’d think that in a £300 piece of kit, they’d be able to sort out the battery thing…as I frustratedly said to the guy working where I’d bought mine…when he said “Yeah mate, they all do that…” Reminds me, it’s due its inspection and clean tomorrow.

Site’s looking a bit untidy in some pics though Stoner. But you’re an amateur. I’ll let it go. 😉

Nice shed. Good effort. 8.5/10

Stoner
    Free Member

Nice shed. Good effort. 8.5/10

The Supreme Being!!! He noticed me!!! I’m a chosen one!!!! 😯 😯 😯

Spongebob
    Free Member

BTW, that’s an outbuilding, not a shed!

I NEED a shed like that!

Sorry, outbuilding 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

depending on Mrs Stoner it might become my home 🙂

Where can I get a cheap flue for a pot bellied stove…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why not get a little pot-bellied pig?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why not get a little pot-bellied pig?

Mrs Stoner’s already got one.

matt_outandabout

Where can I get a cheap flue for a pot bellied stove…

Old cast drain pipes?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Has she? I don’t know if I believe you. There is no evidence to back up your claim.

Stoner
    Free Member

nice thinking there matt…

Stoner
    Free Member

I have concluded that I f*****g hate roofing.

Planning layout hurts your brain, too much up and downing and my tool belt keeps pulling my jeans down and takes effin’ ages. That’s most of this morning’s work. And I havent even got near the ridge yet. 😡

Anyone with a spare ladder is warmly invited to come and lend a hand…

At least the shed is in use already…

woodsman
    Free Member

Stoner – how much would it cost to have some thing like that built professonally (how much would you charge)?

miketually
    Free Member

nice 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

stoner – make sure you quote woodsman based on your normal consulting rate 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

My normal rate is £100 ph so, if you factor in all the faffing and coffee breaks I couldnt do it for less than £30k. And Id be robbin’ myself, I really would.

+ VAT obviously.

woodsman – serious answer: Id allow £1000-1200 for materials and say 8 man days at maybe £150 per man day depending on where you are in the country.

EDIT: Oops, forgot the slab. Dont forget to allow for a 150mm concrete base on some hardcore, at, say £65-80 per cubic metre.

EDIT2: and really seriously I wouldnt pay me £150 a day to do it 🙂 But if you want any excel stuff doing, it will cost you £100 ph but Im a bit better at that than building sheds 😉

miketually
    Free Member

You’re making me even more determined to renovate our stable and tack room myself when we get around to it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

£150 a day? For Stoner? Har de har har. Best paid apprentice in Malvernshire.

Looking good. Bet that roofing’s a right bloody faff.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I see no evidence of Mrs Stoner’s little pot-bellied pig.

A chickeny-type thing, maybe. But no pig.

I’m beginning to suspect it’s all a lie…

alexxx
    Free Member

What operation is so critical in excel that allows clients to pay £100 an hour for someones services?

bruneep

What operation is so critical in excel that allows clients to pay £100 an hour for someones services?

Spreadsheets for costing a shed building.

…….and I would have put a membrane on the roof before the tiles went on.

Stoner
    Free Member

was considering a membrane but after a chat with a man who knows he said by the time it’s tiled and capped properly and since its on WBP anyway there’s little need to throw the cash at a membrane that’s just going to be full of tack holes anyway.

alexxxx, you can have a look on my web site if you like. Same domain as my email address.

I think Im currently working on about £1bn of projects. £800m of which will employ a few thousand people in the UK.

Now back to roofing….

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not as wonky as it looks by miketually, on Flickr

My ‘shed’ needs a little work. The plan is to carefully remove the abbestos roof, then knock everything back to brick/concrete level before rebuilding. It’s complicated slightly by the chickens living in the brick tack room on the right and having an enclosure built onto the other side of the stable, in the orchard.

It’s bigger than it looks – it’s actually a stable, so that door’s big enough to get a horse through and there’s room inside to turn it around.

soma_rich
    Free Member

A chickeny-type thing, maybe. But no pig.

Noo

That a baby robin.

GrahamS

A chickeny-type thing, maybe.

Lol, spot the towney! 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

mike, procrastinate no longer! That is a des-res in waiting!

You could always rig up a temporary shelter in the orchard for the chucks. Maybe a bit of poly-tunnel?

Liking the raised veg beds. Doing something similar next year when we get on with the landscaping.

miketually
    Free Member

There’s quite a lot to do in the house before we start on the outbuildings.

I’m sorting the roof and doors of the garage by the house before we start on the other buildings further down the garden.

This one will be last:

New Garden 6 by miketually, on Flickr

You can get a truck in there…

Stoner
    Free Member

you can never have too many man-caves.

I like the idea someone mooted earlier about building a secret compartment….maybe you have to pull a book on the shelf to open it 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

you can never have too many man-caves.

Maybe I should dig a network of caves under my neighbourhood.

bruneep

was considering a membrane but after a chat with a man who knows he said by the time it’s tiled and capped properly and since its on WBP anyway there’s little need to throw the cash at a membrane that’s just going to be full of tack holes anyway.

Ahh so all my years of doing that have been wasted then.

Stoner
    Free Member

quite possibly, but dont let me stop you 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was going to build a secret compartment in my shed after I got a bike nicked. Build what was effectively an inspection pit just the right size for two or three bikes. Keep the expensive ones in the pit keep the midrange locked as normal and keep the pub bike available as decoy.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think it would be easier to build a false wall than dig a pit.

Or maybe have a flying cage that zooms up into the roof on counterweighted ropes and then an automatic hatch closes behind it…

Spongebob
    Free Member

I just worked out what the Kingspan insulation is about on Stoner’s outbuilding.

Either it’s gonna be “special plant growing facility”, or a micro brewery. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

close.

Its for storing wine without too much fluctuation in temperature.

I will probably have to develop a chiller system to keep the temperature as close to 13degs in summer – there will be an insulated box inside the shed. I think I’ll rig up a 12v solar & battery to some kind of car 12v refrigeration coil and a thermostat.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think it would be easier to build a false wall than dig a pit.

Mine would’ve been fairly easy as the shed sits on top of a WW2 air raid shelter. I took the roof and about three brick courses off the shelter to get the level down low enough for the shed.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Let's build a shed….’ is closed to new replies.