Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Let the Train take the strain (to the Alps)
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I tend to ramble – if you want to jump to the point, it’s right at the bottom.

So with the weather turning to “keeping it real” riding weather and the nutters who like to drop the C-Bomb (Christmas) are sounding less and less nutty by the day so obviously talk between my friends and I has started to turn towards next years riding weekender.

I’ll save you from the full chaos that is “where” because it always goes the same way – short version – no ones got the money for Whistler, Sierra Nevada, looks okay, but no one wants to be the first to try it, Pila looks like a recipe for expensive insurance claims, BPW isn’t ‘quite there’ and anyway, it’s only 30 mins from home – so ‘**** it’ we’ll go to Morzine again, because we always have a great time.

I’ve driven 3 times – and despite what Google tells you and how ‘easy’ French motorway driving is, it always costs more than you think and takes FOREVER.

I’ve flown 2 times – it’s always stressful taking a bike on a plane, BA are lovely but only fly from London really and whilst sleazy jet are cheap and fly from Brizzle but you always think they’ll shaft you some way or other.

Until someone spouted up about taking Euro Star – pricewise it’s not bad – £130ish which is cheaper than flying and driving and time wise it’s 6 and a bit hours from London which seems like a nice compromise between the mind numbing tedium of 12 hours plus of 82mph and the hurry and wait, and wait, and hurry and wait and wait of flying.

Anyone taken the Eurostar to the French Alps, what’s it like?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I know plenty of people who have taken the ski train to the Alps. Eurostar to Paris, pick up the TGV and overnight journey to the Alps picking up a bus service to take you up the mountain. There is even a disco car where you can boogy through the night. I’ve fancied giving it a go, but the guys I ski with have never been keen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some mates have a couple of times, only real issue is that they can insist that your bike is oversize and will not fit so will be transported on the next available train (see the T&C’s) I skipped it as if that had happened I’d bhave not had my bike in time to make the last train out of London home. Also in Summer the Eurostar and TGV require a transfer across Paris.

Easyjet for all the shit that they are play fair with the T&C’s just be within them. Though my flying experience with bikes these days is with proper airlines.

lapierrelady

I don’t know about the ski train, but we did it 3 years ago changing in Paris, and it was a right arse as you had to navigate the metro with ski kit. It took longer than flying and was more expensive, even in Feb half term!

sandwicheater

I’ve taken the ski train a couple of times. Both a nightmare but no fault of the train company. Both times meant we got more skiing.

First time was the organised night train from London. Turns out there are two trains, one with a club/party coach and the one we took without said coach much to the annoyance of the pilled up twunts who made everyone’s life a nightmare.

Second time we ended up booking late and taking a selection of trains to get there. For some reason every conductor on every train had a clown (yes, a real clown with face paint, horn etc) accompanied them who insisted on keeping us awake/entertain us despite wanting to sleep.

Fun times. Would do it again

doris5000

For some reason every conductor on every train had a clown (yes, a real clown with face paint, horn etc) accompanied them who insisted on keeping us awake/entertain us despite wanting to sleep.

😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

According to Eurostar if you go London to Geneva there “one simple transfer in Lile”.

They also state that they’re super busy with bikes in July (because of the Tour) so you can pre-book a bike slot at no extra cost to avoid waiting for it.

My biggest issue so far is that you have to go from St. Pancras (obviously the planners were told that London is the centre of the universe and obviously – like flying, we must all fight our way into the South East to leave again).

That means either a 3.5 hour drive into London and associated parking nightmares from Cardiff, or a 3 hour train ride – I can’t help but think in a virtual Topgear race – leaving Cardiff I could be in Bristol Airport in an hour, arrive an hour before take off and just as we’d be arriving in London on the train, we’d be landing in Geneva on Easyjet – I think we’ll fly.

Shame, it sounded like a cool way to go.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve got a few mates who do this for our annual snowboarding trip, they say it’s no hassle at all in winter. Not sure if the direct alps trains run in summer though.

Bike carrying details here for eurostar. If your bike bag is less than 120cm and you can get a direct train to the alps then you won’t have to pay.

If you end up having to go London – Paris and changing for a TGV to the Alps, the TGV leg is free for a disassembled bike in a bag or 10€ for a fully built-up bike. However, in this case the only way to guarantee that your bike will be on the same eurostar is to pay £30.

lunge

I like the train and have taken it to the south of France a few times, never with bikes admittedly. It takes a little bit longer than flying but it’s a much more relaxing way of travelling. You feel less like you’re being herded and generally more civilized. The fact that you can pick up a good bottle of red and a baguette when you change in Paris to drink on the second half makes it even more relaxed.

legend
    Free Member

Go to the alps without my car/van full of spares and tools? Not for me.

We’ve always found driving easy from Glasgow, and the bonus of having a car with you is a huge one (2+ centre holiday, change of scenery, etc)

stevomcd
    Free Member

No direct trains in summer, you have to change in Paris. Really good for getting to Les Arcs. Morzine, not so much.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The man with all the answers: http://www.seat61.com/

I love train travel, much nicer than driving, flying.

Being able to take spares (a spare bike 🙂 ) is nice though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Done the Ski-train down to Borg several times it was dead easy. Also you get an extra day in. Also Eurostar to Borg not too bad but sitting bolt upright for hours got old fast but does it run in summer? I thought it terminated at Avignon. I like the ski train better, you can have a few beers, sleep and going past the mountain lakes at dawn is pretty special. We normally go to Paris and then change short walk from one station to the other and then it’s straight there. Saying that for the bikes driving is as quick, cheaper and easier.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Let the Train take the strain (to the Alps)’ is closed to new replies.