Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Lesser known Welsh DH tracks…
  • deviant
    Free Member

I’ve done all the usual (BPW, FoD, BMCC, Antur etc) but are there are less known about places without uplifts that are a little less groomed and natural?
    Looking for steep, rutted etc
    Based in mid West Wales so can travel anywhere in a few hours.

chvck
    Free Member

If you want uplift then Caersws, Llangollen, Revolution bike park, Moelfre, any of the pearce uplifts (ok not wales but border)?

SammyC
    Free Member

Wentwood? Is that still there?

jekkyl

On the border? Shropshire!
    The Wrekin I’ve heard is steep off the back, keep meaning to get out that way. & Hopton? and that other one round there I can’t name right now.

chvck
    Free Member

and that other one round there I can’t name right now.

Bringewood? See also, Bucknell

Mintyjim

How about the Reaper at Nant yr Arian – it’s good fun but best on a 160mm bike really

scruff
    Free Member

Rhyd y fellin, reola, Kinsham are all on the pearce list.

jam-bo

does mynydd du still exist?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Llangollen, Bala, Nant G, Mynydd Du, (if it’s still there?), Rheola, Mt Ash, CC OP.

danradyr1
    Free Member

In South Wales, 5miles north of Cardiff (you have The Garth, Castell Coch, Caerphilly, Rudry, Machen, Wylie, cwmcarn DH (smoother not as steep). My favourites are Garth and Machen. Most have road and fireroads climbs. Easily a couple of days riding,

nigew
    Free Member

Nant G is uplift only on the days that Antur arrange, they request not to ride there at other times!
    It is more natural than Antur and recommend booking on, watch out for days via Facebook, there is one this Sunday
    Some of the tracks at Revolution are more natural esp if its wet, but again uplift only

EDIT Nant G Uplift is full this week but this is the place to check

cyclelife
    Free Member

Abercarn

rob8624
    Free Member

Rheola…..it’s where many top dh riders have started. Massive fire road climb and a proper challenging downhill track. If you want steep head to the garw valley, if you are brave, that is!

welshfarmer

The lower part of the Dragon Track at Mynydd Ddu can still be ridden. It is pretty steep and increasing cut up by MXers making it very rutted. Sounds exactly what you are looking for 🙂

Best tackled on a 29er HT – NOT 😉

I can give you GRs for start if interested

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Used to ride the old “Scouse run” DH track at Nannerch. We walked up that way last year and the track is still there albeit overgrown in places (aah memories) 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Given your location you might already know…

If you’re genuinely good & promise not to die on it I can point you in the direction of an Atherton track you can conceivably self-uplift on (It’d be a **** long walk round).

Emailer in profiler

kayak23

Caersws too. Check fb page.
    Revolution is a must visit.
    Wrekin is a good shout. Lots of follow your nose, tons in fod too.
    Bucknell has been forested recently so a few tracks are gone. Bringewood is ace.
    We used to go and push up Rheola and Myndd du, Abercarn, and Gethin. All good except Gethin now 🙂

singlespeedstu

Can anyone direct me to the start of the reaper trail at Nant Y please?

plecostomus
    Free Member

Starts at the dead trees, goes all the way to the bottom of the valley through the quarry.

deviant
    Free Member

Can anyone direct me to the start of the reaper trail at Nant Y please?

Yeah, I was wondering this, some it looks properly sketchy near cliff edges etc.
    Where is it in relation to the car parks and cafe?

iolo
    Free Member

Foel Gasnach is fun

plecostomus
    Free Member

In relation to the car park and cafe nowhere near it. Use a map, have a look at contour lines, and use the features it shows on them and you can find it.
    Or ask a nice local…..

chvck
    Free Member

Reaper is a good trail but a DH track it aint.

Rickos
    Free Member

Possibly not quite what you’re after, but there’s the Black Mountains Cycle Centre north of Abergavenny that might be worth a look.

Homepage

singlespeedstu

Starts at the dead trees,

I know roughly where it is.
    Not 100% sure how to get to the start of it.
    Do you just turn off the main doubletrack and walk up the grass bank by the covered over mine thing?
    My email’s in my profile if you’d rather not broadcast it. 🙂

superdan

Foel Gasnach? Self uplift.

milky1980
    Free Member

welshfarmer – would be interested in that grid ref, rode it when it was open but then forgot where it is 😳 Stumbled across a bit of it last year but couldn’t find it again!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Used to ride the old “Scouse run” DH track at Nannerch. We walked up that way last year and the track is still there albeit overgrown in places (aah memories)

Used to ride that track as well, got an uplift of Steve Peat one day there too :-). The drop of doom halfway down was good fun for newcomers.

tillydog
    Free Member

Scouse run” DH track at Nannerch

Where was it?

(EDIT: No points for Nannerch, I know where that is.)
    (EDIT2: I know it was “replaced” by Foel Gasnach.)

chrispo
    Free Member

The Reaper: https://www.strava.com/segments/7697572

Does OP mean true DH or natural enduro? Plenty in Brechfa and Crychan forests if you want steep mud and roots

Mintyjim

get in! I’m third on the Reaper!

I’m totally humbled by the one minute whupping Roost Slayer has handed me. Time for a Rocky montage training session…

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve ridden with him, he’s very good!

Mintyjim

I reckon I could shave off 30 seconds if I was fit but I’ll never find the other 30s.

It’s a challenging track, not strictly DH, but a good mix including cardio.

Fair play to him and you’re lucky to ride with someone very good – riding solo makes you lazy!

chvck
    Free Member

Fair play to him and you’re lucky to ride with someone very good – riding solo makes you lazy!

Ahh just did a mates race, don’t actually ride with him! The guy in second is a nutter too haha.

Mintyjim

I’m gonna take Jonathan Lee down! Eventually…
    Watch this space

chrispo
    Free Member

Trouble is, MintyJim, I haven’t got round to riding that one yet but it’s on the list for this year. So then you’ll still be in third 😉

Mintyjim

Throwing down the gauntlet is it?

I’m gonna smash it on my full suss this time, not the xc hardtail like before. Honest.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Lesser known Welsh DH tracks…’ is closed to new replies.