Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Less than 18lb road bike for under £1000 possible?
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Looking to get a new road bike to replace my old steel frame (“that should be in the transport museum” wife April 12)

The current bike is really nice to ride, slightly to big 21″ frame (old school) and weights about 24lbs.

I want to get something light and decent and cheapish, i know it doesnt exist!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, easy. IF you buy second hand stuff and build it yourself.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Carbon frame/forks and 2nd had everything else

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilnevill
    Free Member

hunt around, take your time and you’ll spot some good deals. back in January I built up a p-x nanolight with full 105 except for ultegra cranks, p-x model b wheels, vitorria rubino tyres, fsa anatomic wing bars, ritchey stem, p-x twelfty post. Wheighed at the lbs at 18.09lbs with pedals (540s) and 2 bottle cages.

cost was £1050. everything was new, except for seat clamp (new but from my spares bin) saddle (old from spares bin) and pedals (new but from spares bin)

I did get an outstanding deal on the frameset, as the last ones were being sold off, and picked it up for £450. Simiarly the model b wheels don’t exist anymore I think, but there are good deals around (merlin had pairs of ultegra wheels for £209 recently).

check out planet-x, especially good for cheap and okay finishing kit I reckon and often for wheels,
    check merlin and rose bikes for groupsets and components, and merlin for wheels.

So yes it is possible, but you have to get really good deals….i was REALLY lucky with the framset!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Infact you could do it new I reckon. PX are selling their team alu frames for £140 at the moment.

Then get some:

Carbon forks off ebay

Cheap 270g road hubs off ebay

Stans Alpha rims and spokes from germany

Sram groupset (rival probably) as its quite alot lighter than shimano

Conti GP4000s tyres

Latex tubes

Maybe buy your seat/stem/bars/seatpost 2nd hand.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What DTF said, do able with nouse and patience. Mine’s 18.7, the F+F cost £130 and weigh 1.7kg, wheels were £250 and 1.5, latter could easily in down without much expense.

porlus
    Free Member

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2500

That comes in at around 17.5lbs. I’m guessing its for a medium type build.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That comes in at around 17.5lbs. I’m guessing its for a medium type build.

I doubt it

daleftw
    Free Member

Is this? – http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2501

The weight says 8, 10. I assume that’s 8.10kg? Which is around 18lbs?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The canyons dont have pedals, to start with!

porlus
    Free Member

most new bikes don’t come with pedals.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wonderful. A bike without pedals isnt a complete bike. A bike weighed without pedals isnt a complete bike weight.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Chinese unbranded frame and wheels?

meehaja
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone offers bike weights with pedals, as pedals, like pants are a personal choice and vary so much from person to person.

daleftw
    Free Member

I might sell my 3-month old, surprisingly never crashed, medium,18lb Canyon Roadlite 6.0SL in that case.

rooney
    Free Member

Px sl pro under 18lb.

lord
    Free Member

giant tcr 0 2011 all ultegra any good ? £800 🙂
    its hardly been used

stevewhyte
    Free Member

What size?

RustySpanner

Could I be cheeky and have dibs on your old frame & forks, depending on spec?
    Tubing, braze ons, headset size etc.

Thanks.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yes.

Roadies are even worse gear whores than mountain bikers.

I built up a 17lb Santa Cruz Roadster with full carbon finishing kit, Record 10s and Kysrium SLs for a hair under a grand. Only things I bought new were cassette, chain, tyres and tubes, cables and bar tape. All the secondhand stuff was immaculate.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

giant tcr 0 2011

its not under 18lbs though

MrSmith
    Free Member

why the obsession with under 18lbs though? plenty of nice bikes that weigh a little bit over that ‘ride light’
    would look for handling/ride quality over weight any day.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

Could I be cheeky and have dibs on your old frame & forks, depending on spec?
    Tubing, braze ons, headset size etc.

I doubt i will sell it, had it since i was 15 (25 years now) Its been re sprayed once and has very nice cut out lugs and Tange tubing.

I think its actually worth a fair bit, will probably get it stripped and re sprayed over time. I really like riding it, biggest issue is its slightly too big, and it needs some tlc. Still got old school campag friction down tube levers and untll a few weeks ago a 12-21 7 speed freewheel (ouch) stuck a 14-24 on it to try and save my legs.

mboy
    Free Member

A number of years ago up bought a roadbike on here (from Jedi actually!) that was only just over 17lb excluding pedals (so just under 18 including them), yet was still an ally frame! Think the Dura-Ace and Ultegra bits helped, as did the light wheels, but it only cost me £600 iirc.

I reckon 18lb is doable new if you really shop around for everything, though if you go 2nd hand on a few bits should be easy to do.

RustySpanner

I doubt i will sell it, had it since i was 15 (25 years now) Its been re sprayed once and has very nice cut out lugs and Tange tubing.

I think its actually worth a fair bit, will probably get it stripped and re sprayed over time. I really like riding it, biggest issue is its slightly too big, and it needs some tlc. Still got old school campag friction down tube levers and untll a few weeks ago a 12-21 7 speed freewheel (ouch) stuck a 14-24 on it to try and save my legs.

Fair do’s.

Although if it’s a bit too big now, it’ll still be a bit too big when you’ve refurbished it. 😀

Swap you for a 16 year old Easton Alloy Trek 1400, 50cm (20 inch)?
    No idea of the weight, but it must be light, it’s alloy, innit?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Lols your right but i just love steel frames, if i have the money i would get one the right size but am looking at over £1000 just for the frame.

Sentimental n all that!!!

lord
    Free Member

steve its a medium , tried a m/l but it felt wrong way to big , i am 5’10”
    email in profile

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well a tifosi CK3 weight in at 18.7lbs with heavy weight Miche Reflex wheels. If the bike was ordered without wheels and different wheels fitted/built along with lighter tyres then sub 18lbs would be possible.

I am sure this can be achieved on many bikes for £1000 or less.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Should be easy enough if you buy old stuff?

My CAAD4 is heading for 16lb hopefully.

2004 R500, about 20lb, £300

2nd hand DA 7800 groupset £200

2nd hand FSA SL-k chainset £100

Ebay novatec 288g hubs, stans alpha rims, KCNC QR’s, £250

New finishing kit and replace the OEM brakes and I’ll be happy with it, until I decide to get rid of the frame for something a big chunk lighter.

New would be harder, CAAD10 105 from pauls is probably as light as they’d get (carbon frames are ~200g lighter, but the bikes are generally heavier)?

So a CAAD10 105 now, and novatec/stans/ultremo’s when you’ve got another £300 as the cxp/shimano wheels weigh well over 2kg.

Gribs

My Ribble evo pro carbon with a Veloce groupset comes in at ~18lbs on my bathroom scales so probably weighs a bit more but still feels very light compared to my mtbs.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Lord I think that might just be a tad big, probably a similar size to my current bike.

look4now
    Free Member

Yes is possible,

Look 481 SL, full carbon frame and forks – now for sale, 55cm

Dura 7800 grounder

Fulcrum 1 wheels

Thomson seatpost, deda bars and carbon stem, arione saddle.

All in 17.5 lbs

look4now
    Free Member

Er should read 7800 groupset.

And it weighed 17.5lbs with look keo carbon pedals, bottle cages and saddle pack.

With lighter wheels 17lb would be possible.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Less than 18lb road bike for under £1000 possible?’ is closed to new replies.