Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Less "gnar" versions of a Hans Dampf ……..
  • letmetalktomark

To pair with a 2.2 Ardent Race on the back.

To be used for general mincing on the front of my Sherpa.

Loosing a bit of weight would be good but not essential.

All suggestions welcome

vincienup
    Free Member

The ‘new’ (2015?) Nobby Nic – the one with the more Dampf-like tread?

I was about to suggest Rock Razors and Trail Bosses etc but that was when I misread and thought you were running the Ardent on the front. I’m finding it quite hard to see beyond Vigilantes in various options as front tyres still, but I’d not really recommend one as being less gnar than a Dampf…

Maybe an HR2 of some description?

mboy
    Free Member

Minion DHF 2.3

Way better than a Dampf in every respect apart from sheer volume.

Trimix
    Free Member

Less gnarr, what – you want less grip ?

Well then just fit some Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs. Light weight and fast, but not round corners.

Northwind

DHR2 in 3C maybe? It’s not actually less gnar but it rolls a little quicker and is better at absolutely everything. (or you could use the 60a one, it’s a fair bit faster but it does suffer in wet conditions, I don’t think it’s a trade worth making)

vincienup – Member

Still shit tbh.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

“Less gnar version of Hans Dampf”

That’s like asking for a version of a vindaloo with less chilli….

As you’re talking about saving weight, I’m assuming you’ve already got a Hans Dampf, although you haven’t said what you do or don’t like about it.

If you like the tread and width of a Hans Dampf, and saving weight isn’t that important (which you’ve also said), then what’s the problem ? If you think the SuperGravity Trailstar version is too gnar, then buy the Performance Pacestar version.

Yes, you might find a slightly similar tread pattern on some other models of Schwalbe, but then you’ll also find a similar tread patten with other makes, and clearly you’re not fussed about going with Schwalbe or not.

So you could just buy any decent tyre (which isn’t a particularly useful suggestion !)…plenty of choice out there. Good luck 🙂

letmetalktomark

Oh yeah I have a HD already.

Just after something faster rolling but with cornering grip.

A bit like an Ardent Race but for the front.

jonnyboi

HDs are the most disappointing tyre I’ve ever owned, heavy, draggy, expensive, fragile and not that grippy when you need it. Bought them dear too, bah!

vincienup
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

vincienup – Member

Still shit tbh.

Fair comment. I’d more or less given up on Schwalbe by the time they were available, so no idea. I did see a couple of good reviews though, so I suspect there’s a lot of ‘depends what you want from a tyre’ about it.

From total left field then, maybe some sort of SS like a TrailBoss etc is what you actually want? Fairly low, fast centre with big grippy edges? Or maybe something really random like a Spesh Ground Control Grid 2bilss? I suppose a Slaughter, too although it’s a dumb name and it’s just another SS…

jam-bo

Wheelsize? Forekasters are good but only 29er

sirromj

Maybe a Maxxis Minion SS? I was looking at them the other day but alas, impossible to find for 26″ at a price I’d pay. Went with Specialized SLAUGHTER GRID 26″x2.3″.

sirromj

^^^oops helps if I’d read the ops post properly. I got the Slaughter as a rear.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Bontrager xr3 team issue, or maybe even an xr2.
    New Nobby Nic as mentioned above.
    X-King 2.4 maybe
    Not sure you’ll find anything maxxis like a HD as they tend to have a gap style transition to the edge knobs rather than a row of intermediate knobs.

sideshow
    Free Member

Personally I thought the nobby nic (2.25 29er pacestar snakeskin) was a fantastic front tyre grip/speedwise for 99% of dry trails. I still have a part worn one that will go back on the hardtail in dry weather. Only downside was the cheese sidewalls, pinch flat proneness and expense. So that would be a less gnar hans dampf I guess, though I’ve never run the HD having defected to maxxis anyway.

smatkins1
    Free Member

How about a 2.4 normal Ardent.

About the same volume as the HD. I’d say a slight drop in grip over the HD but a massive improvement in rolling resistance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Less "gnar" versions of a Hans Dampf ……..’ is closed to new replies.