Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Les Gets with family – first timers
  • larkim
    Free Member

Booked accommodation for a family holiday in August in Les Gets this year – wanted to get away from traditional beach holiday in the UK.

Eldest son (16yo) is decent MTBer, but the rest of us are unadventurous or unfit or too small to get too much out of the hardcore stuff, but that’s fine – looking forward to scenery, walks, lake swimming, etc etc.

Any tips for families visiting there in the summer? Is it worth getting eldest son’s Canyon Nerve “upgraded” for the visit, or is it better to hire something more DH / Enduro for a proportion of the time we’re there? Are there any cheap bike rental places which would have decent deals for families (e.g. 7 / 10 year olds)? Daily rates generally seem quite pricey.

Grateful for any tips from families that have done this in the past which “first timers” might otherwise miss.

Cheers!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but the rest of us are unadventurous or unfit or too small to get too much out of the hardcore stuff, but that’s fine – looking forward to scenery, walks, lake swimming, etc etc.

I think you might be going to the wrong place…

Samoens over the hill is much nicer, better place for all. (sorry)

larkim
    Free Member

Yes, but went there in the winter this year so didn’t want to go back so not concerned about that. Les Gets is a done deal for this year, so its about making the most of that. It’s hardly a barren industrial estate location anyway!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I stayed in Morzine for our family holiday for 2 years in a row but we spent as much or more time in Les Gets, we went Pony Trekking (or the wife did, I can’t stand Nags) walked, visited the lakes, enjoyed the restaurants, rode the Luge (wife lost a decent amount of skin on that by mistaking brake for, well less brake and binned it) – spent the evenings sat by a bar overlooking Jnr playing with a group of kids from all over Europe and a couple of Yanks. Best family holiday we’ve ever had and the only downside was on the first year I didn’t know how much non MTB stuff to do so I only booked 5 days, the lad was gutted to leave and would have been very happy to cancel Euro Disney on the way home to stay longer.

He was right too, Disney was shit.

Robz
    Free Member

Les Gets will be a great place to take the family. There is a lot to do both in the town and in the immediate area ( I assume you will have a car – if not hire one).

Highlights include:

Rafting in the Dranse river down towards Thonon
    Canyoning in Nyon gorge in Morzine
    Paraponting
    Lake at Montriond (and little lake in Les Gets)
    Tennis courts in Les Gets and Morzine
    Skatepark in Morzine
    Pump track in Les Gets
    Lots of pretty places to walk & picnic (everywhere) Cirque at Samoans, Mines D’or in Morzine, Chappelle du Jacquie Cours in Les Gets
    Lindarettes goat village.
    Via Feratta in Avoriaz
    Horse riding
    Summer luge in Morzine

all sorts to do…

All a bit relient on nice weather though…

A trip to lake geneva is good too – I recommend a visit to Yvoire. Beautiful spot.

Lots of places to rent bikes – biggest shop in Les Gets is Evasion sports although there are several other shops.Bike hire aint cheap though. Kids bikes are available.

larkim
    Free Member

Cheers guys, yes – we’ve got a car so expect to be heading out and about. Booked for 14 nights so (weather dependent) should get plenty of time to do different things.

igm

Acquariaz in Avoriaz for a centre parks style swimming pool.

K2 burger bar beside Bar Bush and Evasion.

Actually, just drop me off at K2 and leave me there.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

we’ve got a car so expect to be heading out and about

I would head over to Sixt Fer à Cheval, beautiful place, as are some of the valleys around that side.

Chamonix is worth a visit, for the high mountain experience. If your feeling flush, the cable car up the Aiguille du Midi is an experience.

zero-cool
    Free Member

There’s a High Ropes course in the woods at Morzine. Caters for all ages (from a mini course for the really young through to adults). Pony rides, rafting, para-sailing, and everything else mentioned above.

Tom KP

larkim
    Free Member

Did anyone buy the “multipass” thing for your family? It’d either be two euros per day (if we’re lucky with the way our accommodation pans out) or 65 euros max each if we buy the seasonal pass (effectively nearly 5 euros per day) (or we could just buy it on a daily basis at 8 euros).

P-Jay
    Free Member

larkim – Member

Did anyone buy the “multipass” thing for your family? It’d either be two euros per day (if we’re lucky with the way our accommodation pans out) or 65 euros max each if we buy the seasonal pass (effectively nearly 5 euros per day) (or we could just buy it on a daily basis at 8 euros).

Yes, but for the life of me I can’t remember what we used it for – we did, I just can’t remember what for.

It was good value as I remember, plus is helped reign in my Wife’s weird way of thinking “it’s expensive, it must be good” which meant spending £500 to spend a day near Paris being sworn by by surly Parisian teenagers as they jumped the queue at Disney.

pigeonthing
    Free Member

multi pass is great if your using the pools ( doesn’t cover aquaria now) 2 euro a day for access to pretty much everything and discounts on some of the more expensive things like high ropes in morz, does all lifts to.

with regards bikes, if your riding lots take your own but if its the odd day then hire…

honourablegeorge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Les Gets with family – first timers’ is closed to new replies.