Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Les Gets
  • pedrodelgado
    Free Member

Going to Les Gets this summer. When doing the XC is it possible to cycle up without using the lifts? Also any other advice for a first timer would be appreciated..

nickjb
    Free Member

Possible. There is plenty of fire road. Cycling up the trails would be a bit suicidal. Lift pass is very cheap, though. There are also plenty of other routes away from the main lifts with ups and downs

jambalaya
    Free Member

Really don’t bother to ride up. Why not take the lifts up and do your XC riding at a higher level, there is plenty of opportunity for more climbing, the lifts don’t unnecessarily go to “the top” anyway.

Two suggestions – definitely take in lunch restaurant at Mont Caly (you can ride up various ways if you want or take lift to Mont Chery and ride around) before either descending to Les Gets via red route or a bit of a detour down into Morzine. Great food, spectacular views.

Search on here for details of Les Gets – Samoens, top of Les Gets lifts ride to Col du Joux Plane and Bourgoise then descent to Samoens, if you wish to a ride up the road climb back is used on the TdF (edit: we got a taxi)

There are various XC rides in Les Gets and in the PdS in general which take in a mix of lifts and riding up climbs

MSP

I hate the climb up the Col du Joux Plane, I did it on my road bike last year and lost pounds of flesh to the horsefly’s, it was a **** nightmare, worst experience on a bike ever.

pedrodelgado
    Free Member

Nice one guys. Much appreciated. Any recommendations for accommodation?

jambalaya
    Free Member

As I posted on the Morzine roadies thread (which @MSP is referring to) – I’ve stayed with these guys and can recommend them, based just outside the town and they run a very efficient and cheap airport shuttle transfer which I’ve also used when staying elsewhere

Blue Ridge Chalet

EDIT: View from my window at the above Chalet

View from the lunch place I mentioned (not included here is Mont Blanc which is out of shot on the right, bikes out of focus ridden by two women who had biked up the road from the valley) – you also get a fabulous view of Mont Blanc from the Bourgoise on the Les Gets/Samoens ride

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Les Gets’ is closed to new replies.