Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Les Duex Alpes, first half of July – riding, transfers
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Booked flights to Les Duex Alpes (well, Geneva), heading there 9th-17th July, so we’ll catch most of Crankworx too.

Anyone else out there?

Not been there (only done PDS before) – is there a good range of riding?

I know it seems a bit stupid booking a holiday before knowing much about the destination, but I’m heading out with Laurence CE who is shooting for Teva.

We have the option of taking DH bikes or trail bikes – what would you recommend? I’m keen to hit some proper DH tracks, big ol jumps etc, but also love a good bit of Alpine singletrack..

Lastly, what’s the best way to get to Les Duex Alpes from Geneva? Transfers seem silly pricey (and hard to find in summer), and hire car is pricey too. (If we are on DH bikes we won’t be bringing bikes with us).

Thanks,
    Duane.

peteimpreza

You are aware of whats happening on the 18th July in that area? I hope you have accomodation arranged already.

The only public transport up to that part of the world is the bus service from Grenoble.

Marko

Hi Duane,

We’re out there for the ‘Mountain of Hell’.

DH bike is the best option by far. Not that there are that many jumps, apart from the small bike park right next to the resort and a few runs with a stack of table tops. 2Alpes is more steep and fast rather than rocky and technical.

Getting there will be your problem. I think a train to Grenoble will be the best option and then a bus.It’s not that far from Grenoble.

Hth
    Marko

Duane…
    Free Member

Yes, hence saying that we’ll catch most of Crankworx (and MoH)too 🙂

Thanks for the travel info, will do some research!

ianv
    Free Member

Most people ride DH bikes there, there is not much alpine singletrack. Its really good though, loads of trails, plenty of variety and usually reasonable weather.

It will be a ball ache to get to on public transport, I would seriously consider the rental option (at least from Grenoble)

extremenik
    Free Member

Hi, took me 5 hrs from Chatel last Summer so the transfer is not good at all from that way.

Had 4 years on DH bike but took Remedy for the last 2 and will be again this year. All the tracks are fast! but you don’t need 8″ of travel.
    I had a look last night and I

extremenik
    Free Member

Hi, It took me 5hrs to get from Chatel to LDA last summer.

4yrs there on a DH, but the last to on a remedy-which i prefer. You don’t need 8″, all trails are fast and flowing.

When i looked last night I think the Tour goes down that way the weekend you come back-whatever you are in make sure you have Aircon.

Also there is 2 new trails on the map for this year so the bike choice could change!

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh, didn’t realise TdF is passing through around then!

peteimpreza

It’s the 100th Edition of the Tour this year. On the 18th they are doing the stage which goes up Alpe d’Huez. Twice.

The area is going to be mobbed by millions of fans. Hence my point about accomodation.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Hence my point about accomodation

And to be fair it’s not set up as well as a lot of the other resorts for summer accomodation in the first place – it’s certainly a fair bit more expensive to stay self catered than in the PDS

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I know this is of no use to you but if Laurence is going then please link to some of his pictures when you get back. I’ve loved loads of the shots he’s taken. A truly skilled photographer if ever I’ve seen one.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

We did a single day in 2Alpes last Summer, as a change after a few days at the Mega, but were quite impressed with the resort.
    We were riding a mixture of 140 to 180 bikes and these coped fine. There are a few lesser-ridden, slower, techier trails like Satan & Super Integrale which are marked as “black” but are ideal for trail bikes.

We only scratched the surface in a day though and if I was going there specifically, then I’d have preferred a bigger bike than the 140 that I was riding.

ianv
    Free Member

I doubt deux alpes will be mobbed by spectators for the tour. It’s a pain to get to and most people seemed to be stopping around Bourg d’Oisans and up towards Alp d’huez.

Also, I got the impression that there was loads of places to stay in summer, the resort in pretty busy with skiers/snowboarders as well as mountain bikers and there was loads of chalets that seemed to be rented out. Another option might be the cabins at Camping Les Cascades in Venosc. We arrived at the campsite the morning after an Alp d’huez finish and the place had a fair bit of room.

vickypea
    Free Member

We had a couple of days at Les Deux Alpes last year. Mr Pea and I were on hardtails and I stuck to the blue and green trails, though Mr Pea also had a go on the reds. The colour rating definitely doesn’t tally with UK trails like Llandegla!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Les Duex Alpes, first half of July – riding, transfers’ is closed to new replies.