Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Les Diablerets, Switzerland – MTB?
  • davey_clayton
    Free Member

My girlfriend might be going to a conference in Les Diablerets this summer and it looks like choice lift-assisted riding territory. Anyone been? All I get from Google is the same few generic tourist-info paragraphs in english and french. There’s quite a bit about skiing but I can’t seem to find anything specific about MTBing.

darrell
    Free Member
    furry_marmot
    Free Member

take a freeride bike and do the glacier traverse. lift all the way up to the top at 3000m, cross the glacier towards Tour St. Martin, down to the Col de Tsanfleuron, turn left, stop at the café (don’t miss this out, you won’t regret it), down to Gstaad, up the road via Reusch to the Col du Pillon, back down to Diablerets on the footpath to the right of the road (go via Pont du something, I forget what). this is one of the definitive Swiss big-mountain freeride routes – not for beginners or xc bikes, but you’ll never forget it. Try to start early in the morning since that way the snow on the flattish part at the top of the glacier is hard enough to ride across. also, make sure you get all the way over to the Tour St. Martin before heading down the glacier or you’ll end up in a crevasse.

btw the conference centre in les Diablerets is pretty nice too – I get dragged there every 2 years…

as far as other riding goes in Diablerets, you’re a bit limited. certainly as of last summer there were no groomed DH tracks. However… Leysin (Swiss cup track) and Chateau d’Oex (site of the worlds in ’97, though the DH track is distressingly poorly maintained) are both under half an hour’s drive away. also Zweisimmern (another WC DH venue) is under 45 minutes away at a guess. lifts in these resorts should be open all summer. another 45-minute option is the funicular railway up to Rocher de Naye above Montreux – some great freeriding down from the Marmot Paradise. you’ll have a mad one.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, that looks brilliant. Is there a defined trail on the glacier? How easy is it to navigate? I’ll be going at the end of june so hopefully there won’t be too much snow around. I’ll be driving too, and GF will be busy at her conference all day so 45 mins is no problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Les Diablerets, Switzerland – MTB?’ is closed to new replies.