Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Les Arcs Trip – Tyre Suggestions please?
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Off to try some singletrack in the Les Arcs area in the Summer, ride an Yeti ASR5c with 140mm up front (not that that is relevant I suppose), any tyre suggestions from experience please?

Northwind

Something allroundy. I used Clutch SXs- reasonably tough, but not too heavy. Tubeless’d em, I think everyone else in the group punctured at least once. I’ll switch to Butcher SXs this year just because they’re a little better and will deal with wet better should it rain. But I couldn’t fault the Clutches.

It was bone dry when we were there, don’t know if it gets properly muddy if you’re lucky enough to get a wet week.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Im going in August, and have never gone before but my plan is
    2.5 dual ply 60a minon on the rear
    2.5 single ply supertacky (UST) on the front.
    Both will be set up tubless.

but then I am not a subtle rider 😉

scruff
    Free Member

I had dual plys F&R, Minion ST F on front, HR 60a on the back. I didnt puncture.

chrismac

We’re going too for the first time. We are intending to use conti rubber queens unless we find out there is a much better option

honourablegeorge

Our guide was on Minions, so that’s what I’d recommend

dan45a
    Free Member

dual ply minion 2.5 DHF’s ST did ok for me, no punctures. That was on an SX Trail.

I have an ASR5C (also 140mm upfront, awesome bike!) but would be on the nervous side taking it to Les Arcs just in case I broke it…. it gets pretty rough and rocky on some of the off piste stuff. So big tryes are the way to go.

If you dont have the 142×12 rear axle fitted, i’d really recommend it as made a big differnce to mine.

Amazing place to ride though… enjoy 🙂

northeastAndy
    Free Member

Minion ST on the front and 60a High roller on the back, both 2.5 dual ply with normal tubes.
    This year I’m going to chance single ply folding minion and HR as doing a more back country orientated week.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rubber Queen 2.4s last time, with DH tubes.

Minion EXO 2.5s tubeless would be a good choice too.

Whatever you’d ride in the Lakes basically.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Tyres suitable for rocky terrain but I’d stick in DH tubes if you’re not tubeless. Most people seem to go for Minions up there.

bland

I ran single ply 2.4 Advantages last year and didnt puncture but then im quite a light rider.

Basically something you dont care about on the rear as they get shredded in the alps

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’m going to take ust 2.5 high rollers, supertacky on the front

mrplow
    Free Member

Are you riding up the hills?

sv

F&R Minions front was 42a, rear 60a both dual ply tubeless on Flow rims. No punctures in 4 days of riding and no riding up!

wallop

Last year I had DP DHF minions front and rear. ST up front. Standard tubes. We did lift assisted singletrack so didn’t have to worry about drag on climbs, but boy were they hard work on the road from Hautville Gondon back to Bourg!

This year I have new wheels – flow ex – so will stick with the minions but go tubeless.

I should add – we picked the dry weeks of July last year (so, so lucky!) so I don’t know what it would’ve been like in the wet, but I get the impression the ground drys up pretty quickly after a downpour anyway.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers guys, plenty of options to look at, yup, will be doing a fair bit of riding up the hills!

nickc

just dirt…y’know?

Hicksy
    Free Member

We are going to Bike Village (just up the road from Les Arc) again this year (can’t wait!), where there is a fair bit of riding up hill. Have taken 120mm Mount Vision for the last 3 years 2.35 High Roller on the front and a nice fast rolling Crossmark on the back (both LUST) and have found them a great combination – but that’s what I ride all the time anyway so am used to how they feel. We had one year when it rained most days but they were still good.

Have fun.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Hicksy,…… exactly where I’m going, oops, thoughts it was actually in les arcs, sorry guys! Just got rid of my Mount Vision Hicksy, any tips for the week there?

wallop

It is in Les Arcs! The BV base is in Peisey I think, which is round the corner from Bourg St Maurice (the base of Les Arcs). Les Arcs is the area.

Hicksy
    Free Member

You’ll have a great time (it’s only 5 miles ish from Les Arc). If you’ve not been to the Alps before, then the thing I found difficult to start with was tight switchbacks – there aren’t that many in Surrey, so worth praticing if you have some local. The riding is amazing and Sam and the boy’s will be happy to help with technique if required.

Even the days where there is a bit of uplift normally requires a bit of climbing, so you want something with a bit of volume but roll’s fairly well. I like the LUST tyres as they’re fairly tough and I think they feel better when running tubeless.

When are you heading out there – we are going 6-20 of July.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack guys, I’m going over on the 3rd august with a group. ATM I’m running high roller 2 front and high roller rear, should I take my 2.5 minion exo too??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dual ply 2.5 minion or HR in 60a unless you want them dead by the end of the week. Worked fine for me.

Minion vs HR is just a feel thing for me, I hate mixing them and on rocks I prefer the minions.

wallop

I had a HR on the front in the Sierra Nevada last autumn and fell out with them for life (still have the scars to prove it). Minions all the way for me.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

BikeVillage is in Landry which is down the valley from Peisey,was snowing there yesterday

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Les Arcs Trip – Tyre Suggestions please?’ is closed to new replies.