Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Les Arcs – Feb 2013 & a non skiier, what is there to do?
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We are booked for a family holiday with friends in Feb next year. Unfortunately my 9 year old son badly broke his elbow and has been told he is not to ski 🙁

So what is there to do in a ski resort for a boy who would love to be skiing but can’t, also not allowed to do ice skating, ice hockey, bob sleds, bike riding or any contact sports.

He’s not happy but cancelling would mean that the rest of the family would miss out & the friends we are going with would be saddled with extra costs for the chalet etc so not really an option.

At the moment all we can come up with is that my wife & I take turns not skiing and looking after him but having something fun for him to do would be a major plus.

Edukator
    Free Member

Get a second medical opinion and/or a BMX protection set. Broken bones are normally stronger than they were to start with by three months.

If he really can’t ski see if the holiday company will do a swap with a Scuba diving holiday somewhere hot. Les Arcs is great with organising activities for kids but your list includes the sort of things they organise. It’s really not a non-skier friendly resort.

wallop

I don’t remember seeing much on the slopes in Les Arcs (but being childless I wouldn’t have been looking).

The website doesn’t offer much for kids…
    http://en.lesarcs.com/something-a-little-bit-different
    http://en.lesarcs.com/pedestrians

Might be worth investigating what’s going on in Bourg St Maurice – the funicular goes right down into the centre of the town.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracey

Our daughter snapped her radius just above her wristguard last year. 7 weeks before our snowboarding holiday and on the night our holiday insurance expired. She had a pot on for six weeks and the hospital told us that she could do no sport for another 4 weeks.
    She decided to take her gear and decide once there if she would board or not. She boarded every day and had quite a few falls but no problems

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can he stay back in the uk with a friends family on the basis that he gets a “treat” over the summer or when his elbow is better, what else does he like to do ? Or you can promise him some special ski/board lessons next time.

Being a kid in a ski resort missing out is going to be painful – it will be really frustrating and boring (as an adult you can do some walking, shopping, lunching etc). I don’t suggest pushing it regarding the skiing, he’s 9 there are plenty more years ahead.

sandwicheater

I’ve skid with a broken arm/cast, will be fine (presuming he is a good skier).
    We were at Les Arcs 1950, plenty of swimming pools (unsure if elbow requires a cast) but other than snow walking i’ve not a clue, sorry. Bring an xbox?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Yeh, the not skiing is really not an option for him, he did a really good job having smashed his elbow & burst an artery, they only just managed to save the arm so we are not taking risks for as long as the surgeons say so. (Thankfully other than the fact that he is not allowed to do sport for a full year and some rather large scars he seems to be fully recovered with no side effects).

Am liking the scuba diving idea. That’ll not help this holiday but will give him something to aim at and improve his swimming which the consultants said he should do

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Les Arcs – Feb 2013 & a non skiier, what is there to do?’ is closed to new replies.