Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • L'eroica Britannia
  • MoreCashThanDash

Looks like fun, my bike isn’t old enough though!

Ride sponsored by great brewery

bikeneil
    Free Member

Oh. Not what I was expecting from this thread.

MoreCashThanDash

Did your sexually transmitted dyslexia put an extra “t” in the title? 😆

bikeneil
    Free Member

Something like that yes. I must learn to read things more slowly.

epicyclo

I’ll be doing the Bravo Scozia instead (prefer mountains), but this looks fun.

But the burning question is will entrants have to take the correct period drugs?

And where can we get them?

wombat

I think it might be the ideal excuse to break out my Dad’s 1930’s Hercules complete with rod brakes, a 3 of Sturmey Archer’s finest gears and enough steel to make a medium sized family hatchback 8)

righog
    Free Member

RIDE DAY RULES
    Staying true to L’Eroica Italy – our riders need to observe Ride Day Rules – we call them the ‘Good to Knows’.

Only cyclists with “heroic” bicycles will be permitted to participate
    ‘Heroic’ bicycles are road racing bikes, built before 1987.

Gear shift levers on the down tube of the frame (exceptionally, only pre-1980 bar-end gear shifts are allowed)

Not sure of the Date of the Wilson frame I have, but I am sure that I ground off all the cable stops to make it into a single speed ( idiot ) wonder if there will be an increase in pre 87 road bikes on E bay ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Field day for bellends and poseurs!

Be rude not to show my face, as it’s on my doorstep – should be interesting for a look round the Festival, if nothing else.

righog
    Free Member

Well, this Bellend will be doing any posing, just checked and I will be at work 🙁

Flash
    Free Member

This Bellend has signed up for the 100 on his single speed. Several other bellends will also be riding on their bikes.

Going to be the highlight of this years riding for me (hopefully)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I hope to turn up and watch: does this make me a wannabe bellend?

colin2011
    Free Member

Entry fee is £70.

Madness.

Flash
    Free Member

70.00 for a three day event, 55. 00 if you were amongst the first 500, doesn’t seem too bad value to me, especially if you take into consideration you will be riding in some of the best cycle land in the country.

I’m betting there will be a pretty eclectic bunch of characters there, from the ordinary, to the dapper, to the eccentric, with maybe a few bellends and poseurs there too.

Not sure I’d travel a long way just for a look, but fair play to anyone getting involved and it might be quite interesting to have a look as a local.

plus-one

Massive bellend here doing it 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

70.00 for a three day event, 55. 00 if you were amongst the first 500, doesn’t seem too bad value to me, especially if you take into consideration you will be riding in some of the best cycle land in the country.

How much is it to ride these Hallowed roads any other time of year?

PJ266
    Free Member

Free, the same as any other organised Sportive, Enduro or just plain “event”.

Difference is there’s loads of others so it will be a bit out of the ordinary.

I won’t be entering, but it seems pretty plain who the bell-end is.

fasthaggis

Thank goodness there is something for North of the border bell ends 🙂

john

Just click on the ‘festival’ link, and see how far you can get with a straight face.

Blackhound

I was talking to someone who is getting a Simpson era Peugeot resprayed up by Mercian – with all period era kit + Brooks saddle) for the event.

For local riders it may possibly mean a new cafe in the area.

plus-one

Gutted !!! Looking at some of the flash retro garb on display it appears I’ll only
    Be a trainee bellend 🙁

Need to up my bellendery 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Just been offered a mate’s Dad’s bike if I wanted to do it….. 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

They should open this out to all types of bikes, like the Italians do. I’d do it then.

Spud

Tried to register on the 20th (one of the 500) and was faced with technical glitch, which as far as I can tell hasn’t been fixed. Something unusual to do in my 40th year.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Plenty about this on Retrobike.
    The feeling is that 70 quid for a short days ride is a bit steep. The rest in cobblers.
    I appreciate that people need to make a buck so if that can convince enough people to spend then good luck to them! I wish I could find such an angle.
    I think its actually a franchise of the original but without the charm of the original.
    Wildly in accurate with their bike regulations as well. Quite amusing in an annoying sort of way.
    Good luck if that’s your thing.
    I wonder if the British version, being British will screw it up by insisting on helmets? Hope not

oldgit
    Free Member

Agree mattsccm, less charm and more cash. I’ve always wanted to do the L’eroica, so I was quite excited to see this, but then it just seemed a very commercial affair trying to drain you of every penny you have for a very average ride. And helmets.
    I’ll wait until I can do the real thing.

And also looking at the route, are they cycle paths I can see there? i.e old railway lines.
    And if it’s a British take on the Italian original stop using the word ‘heroic’
    So on Sustran type paths, and using the word heroic for that reason I’m out.

rOcKeTdOg

Difference is there’s loads of others so it will be a bit out of the ordinary.
    I won’t be entering, but it seems pretty plain who the bell-end is

Blimey, sense of humour failure? I bet all the entrants have breathed a sigh of relief that you’re not joining them

oldgit
    Free Member

I had another read, as I love my old bike and I’d like to ride with other like minded souls, but it’s the events own website that makes it sound pants, the more I read it the more put off I am?
    Garmin download??? and wtf? I don’t recall bikes having Garmins back in the early eighties.

john_l
    Free Member

What do you actually get for your £70? Not very clear on the website.

PJ266
    Free Member

Blimey, sense of humour failure? I bet all the entrants have breathed a sigh of relief that you’re not joining them

Sorry Rocketdog, that was aimed at Cynic-al 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘L'eroica Britannia’ is closed to new replies.