Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • L`eroica
  • Edric64
    Free Member

Has any one else pre registered for L`eroica this year?

landcruiser
    Free Member

Sorry ! I thought I read it with a ‘t’ in the title 😉

Digger90
    Free Member

I keep dreaming about riding l’Eroica… And musing over classic curly Hetchins’, ancient Bianchis, etc…

Post up a pic of your bike and kit!

mattjevans
    Free Member

me and landcruiser both. pity, i thought the forums needed some spicing up

oldgit
    Free Member

Not this Edric, every week and month is booked now with races until January 2014, but next year.
    I’d like to hear about it from someone that has done it. The rules seem strict, but an image search shows modern bikes and even some rapha blokes doing it on Pashley Guv’nors complete with leather googles, but they sure ain’t vintage.
    Got a nice original Italian number from 86 ready to go.

Edric64
    Free Member

This years event is October 6th I believe I have just paid the 2 euro pre registration fee.What do you mean about it being booked until next year? I`m new to the event and thought it happened annually in October?

Andy

Edric I think oldgit means HE is pre booked until Jan14 so cant do the event this year. What does pre-registration mean please?

Edric64
    Free Member

I assume I have paid to go into the lottery for a place in this years event.I thought it would be something memorable for me and a mate as my stag do !

flip
    Free Member

I’d love to go to ride this, my pride and joy 😀

corroded
    Free Member

It’s on my life list. Just need to find the right bike.
    EDIT: like that ^ which is a thing of beauty!

Andy

Ah thanks Edric 64. Yup that Swinnerton is lovely 🙂 Liking that chainset…

ton

one of my mates (a sweary northerner) rode it on a 1930’s raleigh sport
    bike.
    the stem binding bolt snapped halfway round. he tied it up with toe straps and continued and finished the ride.

well done Noggin….. 8)

Edric64
    Free Member

That Swinnerton is lovely

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done it five times, it’s ace.

Didnt do it last year nor doing it this year but back there next..

It can be hard,I’d say pick a group close to your ave speed and hang in there, if its wet it’ll be like a Cross event, but the road sections are just like single lane stuff here (Sth Downs) and are just as pot holy too.. Then there are the chalk roads which are hardpack and rutted. Climbs are like a lumper Sth Downs and they don’t go up as much they go on for a long time. The scenery is just amazing, you’ll spend most of your time looking around you, which if you are hacking along may not be the best thing to do. As ever the food and hospitality is typically Italian, attack the leader of the bunch and expect to be shot out the back until you’ve gained some respect.
    I rode with an ex neo pro whose back here now looking for another team, he towed me around and showed me the rights and wrongs of rising with Italians.
    It’s quite bonkers, there are all sorts of folks riding it these days, pre the sportive as is now it was just a hard core race, now there are bunches of shoppers and mtbers and sportive types. The good guys are let off the front, that’s the group we were in and thankfully so, as you just hack on and create some space, I’d not like to ride with the rabble, it’s very busy and such a mix of abilities you’d end up fighting your way through. Think of it like a Wiggle event over the Sth/North Downs on chalk roads and the smell of lemons and olives and rosemary and some spectacular churches and spruce lined lanes and you pretty much have it.

As far as a bucket list event it’s one of the best IMO.

If we’re still around next year perhaps Olgit and some others would like to make a trip together… Be fun that.

Captain_Sponge

I saw this video a while back, it seems to sum it up nicely.

I wonder how to track down a suitable bike?

jools182
    Free Member

I thought about it on one of my two road bikes

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d be up for that, even if it was just a meet.

bratty

Bikebouy, what are the rights and wrongs of riding with italians?

Andy

So whats the best way to do this, other than buy a ticket and turn up? Really want to do but all my mtb mates are not really into it and rather not do it as billy no mates 😥

Are there any local tour companies who arrange trips with entrance/accomodation included ir just fly out, turn up and ride?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’d be up for this next year if somebody is pulling a little group together.

Wool jersey – check.
    anything else – oops better start shopping for old gear inc a bike!
    😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Thing is you enter a lottery to see if you’re in or not, so that makes it tough for mates to sort.
    Another thing, my bike falls in the age category (1986) but has period aero levers. I hear it’s not blindingly strict on these matters.

Andy

I guess I’ll have to do what I did for the PPDS first time I entered. Buy a ticket and turn up!

mrelectric

[Sorry ! I thought I read it with a ‘t’ in the title ]

Sorry, I read that Beethoven in the subtitle…

gmac123
    Free Member

road it last year, tremendous experience. make sure and get there early, have a good rake around the market and register on the saturday. the roads are hard going, in terms of steep rolling short sharp hills that sap the energy as well as the rough strade bianchi. took us 3hrs longer than doing 205km back home. i was starting to bonk with a few miles to go. regarding bike rules, as mentioned you’ll see clipless, aero levers and even sti’s.. not really the spirit but not a problem…

we were denied our hampers, a bit of confusion over language at the time, turns out that it was because our jerseys weren’t woollen..ffs. we had retro looking jerseys made for the occasion but in modern material.

not going this year, but will definitely be back

bikebouy
    Free Member

Chaps, it’s on Eurosport 2 on this Sat 1430 & repeated on Eurosport 1 on Mon 1845..

garage-dweller

Curly stay Hetchins. Beautiful especially chromed and fabulous to ride 🙂

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ll be doing the 205k again this year on this again…

It was faultless last year!

MoreCashThanDash

There is a chapter on l’eroica in Deering and Ashleys ” 12 months in the saddle” Looks stunning and sounds tough. (Great book all round actually)

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Does anyone remember shiny bar tape, I had it on my first bike, no grip what so ever.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘L`eroica’ is closed to new replies.