Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lentils
  • whattyre
    Free Member

Got a massive bag..any good ways of cooking them? I had some a while back in a restaurant and they were ace..like they’d been cooked slowly ina beef stock..

ianfitz
    Free Member

What sort of lentils?

Make daal with red split ones or channa

Puy lentils are ace in a slow cooked stew as are green lentils but can be a bit too wholesome. Both soak up meaty flavours very well.

Bbc website is good for searching out recipes for random ingredients.

whattyre
    Free Member

Ill have a look…they’re dark ones

Philby

Cooked and drained green / puy lentils are lovely when gently fried with small slices of bacon / pancetta and onions. Can have this on its own or as an accompaniment to something like grilled or baked chicken.

Have you tried cooking them slowly in a beef stock?

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I’ll ask my mum. She cooked nothing but lentils for a month when she “discovered” them in the late 1970s. My brothers and I have never eaten them again.

Hmmm – my mum decided we were to be veggies in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I can’t abide any food containing nuts now.

*retches slightly, remembering nut cutlets and nut roasts*

Bleurghhh!

lucien

Lentils have the same effect as Picolax on me….. 😯 😳

Keva
    Free Member

I cook green lentils mixed with rice and various other pulses pretty much everyday for lunch, only takes ten mins to cook. drain them off, rinse well with cold water, serve as a salad with spicy chicken, mixed veg and a few chopped up tomatoes and olives. Add a dash of salad dressing and herbs to flavour.

binners

Lentils are best used as an ingredient in a Sausage, bacon and lentil casserole. Great done in a slow cooker

And like lucien, I find they make me a bit

crankbreaker

Daal! I use lentils instead of split peas, tastes lovely…

Daal recipe

Klunk
    Free Member

chicken dhansak

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I like the fact that the ” tad windy ” and the lentils discussions are now next to each other , accident ?????

mogrim

Cut up some chorizo or chipolatas (or both) into chunks, and fry in a couple of tablespoons of oil.

In a large pan, soften a chopped onion, at the end add a finely chopped clove of garlic. Keep frying gently for another minute.

Add the sausage (including the oil you fried it in).

Add 250-500g of lentils, and enough water to cover them. And a bit more water. Maybe a stock cube while you’re at it, and a bay leaf. You could probably try adding some stout or similar here, too. Or a teaspoon of paprika. Maybe some carrot.

Bring to boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 30-45 min or so until cooked, sometime before the end taste and add salt if needed.

whattyre
    Free Member

these are all great ideas! gonna try the lentil in stock idea…its these…i got em when doing the idiet(back on it now)
    2013-04-18 10.34.18

love the dahl as well…. 😀
    thanks dudes!

kayak23

This…

or this…

or this…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Try adding some dried porcini mushrooms.

molgrips
    Free Member

Puy or green lentils boiled up with a bit of seasoning, and served with fish. Nom.

Or – linsentopf, German stew type thing is also lovely.

sugdenr
    Free Member
    llama

fatty pork e.g. sausages/streaky bacon/pork belly all go well

balsamic vinegar goes well, esp as a salad with cold meat and stuff

dhal

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lentils’ is closed to new replies.