Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lenovo Thinkstation
  • tails
    Free Member

Anyone own one they sound very good and parts easy to swap parts as the years role on but very expensive.

tails
    Free Member

bump

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I like Lenovo laptops, haven't seen their desktops in the flesh but suspect you get a nicely put together pc with a good case.

My experience of PC's is that upgrades don't make a lot of sense. Within a pretty short amount of time you end up needing a new motherboard (chip sockets change, connection standards change) at which point you're better off buying a new PC. Adding memory and a larger hard drive is easy enough to do with almost anything – even laptops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've got a T510 Thinkpad which has been robust and reliable. Not cheap, though so it flippin should be.

I like the biometric scan power up. The kids think it's great.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We have a fairly newish Lenovo Thinkpad and TBH it's been pretty cr4p.

I think standards have seriously slipped since the IBM days – the first one was DoA, the current one has been unreliable to say the least. This is a fairly decent (apparently) one too.

Wouldn't buy another Lenovo.

Xylene
    Free Member

A longish story.

Bought my R60 in Bangkok, with three years international warranty.

Moved to Korea, fan played up, crap customer service, complained to Sam Palmerston the boss of IBM (really), took two days to get it picked up and serviced, then hand delivered by the head of Lenovo Korea, his head technician and the lad who dealt with my call – they also gave me an IBM cup as an apology.

Fast forward another 9 months, fan goes again, replaced again in Korea.

Return to the UK, fan goes again, picked up and then called to ask what the problem was exactly – fan error, oh sorry sir your computer screen, case, keyboard are all smashed up, we will fix them.

fan goes again, sent out sent back still not working,

and again it goes, sent out still not working

Fan goes again – customer service say they will extend warranty by six months, send it in to their secret head quarters in scotland – Thinkpad picked up and sent off.

Two weeks later phone call – did I send it? Yes. Oh.
    Week later they find it.

Two weeks later I get an email from a guy in romania or somewhere like that telling me it's customer damage and they aren't replacing it.

Complain to IBM – they call appologise, their hands are tied they know it's gone down hill very sorry.

Machine is returned to me with cracked keyboard, screen surround, back of case, hinge and to top it off they wiped the HDD saying illegal copy of windows, even when there is a serial number on the bottom of machine

Love the keyboard, but the company are a bunch of c***s

tails
    Free Member

Oh dear i have actually just won one on ebay but if it comes through I have a bargain!

Xylene
    Free Member

I love it still, resurrected it and replaced the hinges myself. A bit of glue here and there and it still runs, just a bit noisy.

Same can't be said for the wife's compaq that got hurled across the room. by accident though, had it on top of the dresser, caught the cable and in one of those can't believe it's physics moments, it catapulted across the room bounced on the bed and straight into the en-suite bathroom onto the tile floor and against the sink.

tails
    Free Member

Same can't be said for the wife's compaq that got hurled across the room. by accident though, had it on top of the dresser, caught the cable and in one of those can't believe it's physics moments, it catapulted across the room bounced on the bed and straight into the en-suite bathroom onto the tile floor and against the sink.

Thats brilliant!

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I'm writing this on an old T60 I bought off my last employer. Had it from new when I joined the company and when I left I only had to pay £100 for it. Great laptop which has taken a lot of knocks over the years.

My new employer has given me some kind of generic Dell thing. Terrible keyboard and rubbish to use. 😥

Xylene
    Free Member

Terrible keyboard and rubbish to use.

That's the problem, one you use a Thinkpad keyboard there is no going back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lenovo Thinkstation’ is closed to new replies.