• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Leith Hill dense ground vegetation
  • bubs

Does anyone know what the dense, shrubby plant is that covers much of the area around the tower (particularly to the west)?

skaifan
    Free Member

Rhododendrons I think. They’re an introduced species and are pretty successful.

padkinson
    Free Member

On open street maps that bit actually comes up as being called Rhododendron wood.
    Might not need to worry about any vegetation on parts on Leith hill soon 👿

bubs

Hmm. It’s ground cover rather than bushes in the same area as the Rhododendrons. Guess it could be a low level Rhododendron type. More googling needed.

marclelliott

They’re bilberries

bubs

No, not bilberries – I like those. These exclude all other species in large swathes. The hanging gardens runs through them as do a number of the other older trails on that side. Dirty green colour and generally a midge fest area as soon as it warms up. Looks like I need pics and a flora.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Pics?

deadkenny
    Free Member

skaifan – Member 
    Rhododendrons I think. They’re an introduced species and are pretty successful.

Considered invasive by some. Loads of it round Leith. Makes the little gully stuff nice runs with the shrubs though but they get overgrown at times.

nuke

I know what Bubs is referring and its not the Rho. Its the low level (almost like a heather) but with small waxy(?) leaves iirc seen over lots of the trails on the north side of the path between the tower & Starveall carpark. Got soaked the other day on a stroll as we pushed through…would also like to know what is as i did wonder at the time 😕

bubs

Nuke – I think yours might be bilberry or hurtleberry by the sound of it (heather height, small waxy leaves, flanged stems). This is a classic case of this thread is useless without pics.

burko73

Could be American strawberry – gaultheria

Introduced like rhodi and often in the same area. Really difficult to get rid of without lots of roundup. As invasive as rhodi.

bubs

Great call, Gaultheria shallon looks right and has been id’d on Leith Hill. STW never fails to amaze me. Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Leith Hill dense ground vegetation’ is closed to new replies.