Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • LeisureLakesBikes.com vs Ubyk.co.uk – angels or b*stards?
  • rhayter

Any stories – good or ill – about buying a bike from Leisure Lakes or Ubyk? Come on, spill the beans/your guts etc…

project
    Free Member

Both shops most probably sell decent brands with good warranties, and some crap stuff with poor warranties and poor after sales service.

Pick a brand and research it, some brands come up as poor warranties and spares.

NZCol

I bought some wheels from Ubyk last week, really fast delivery and good build etc.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Recently bought a bike from Leisure Lakes Daventry. Pretty good experience too. No pushy sales, guys who obviously enjoy riding and talking about bikes. VIP discount scheme makes them fairly reasonable on price too (5% off bikes, 12.5% off kit). New bike was ready when they said it would be (less than a week to deliver from the supplier) and well prepped to go.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Leisure lake in highcross Newport is a million times better than when it was broadribb cycles.

project
    Free Member

Leisure lakes between preston and southport are on a huge site mud ,tarmac etc, and they have a huge test fleet, and lads who dont presurise you.

Just be careful on the main dual carigewaay road outside some nutter drivers around there.

grizedaleforest

Leisure lakes are pretty good for mainstream mail order bikes.

kayak23

I live relatively near Daventry Leisure Lakes so have used them often, and bought a couple of bikes from there. Really helpful folks in there, helped me out when I had a Nukeproof warranty issue, despite me buying the frame second hand.

Recently bought an expensive #Enduro bag from Ubyk, again, had some issues with it quality-wise and they were very helpful in getting me a satisfactory result.

Thumbs up for both from me.

matther01
    Free Member

Only bought components from each but both have been good. When I bought a csixx chain protector from leisure they sent the wrong size… gave them a call, they sent the right one straight away and told me to take my time returning the other and paid my postage back.

rhayter

Thanks all. Keep ’em coming!

robmorphet
    Free Member

I went to leisure lakes in bury about an orange five.
    Not impressed, the guy I spoke to just went online to spec a bike, and bless him tried to help with frame size but lack of knowledge and shop experience meant it was a pretty poor customer experience for me. Even the qualified sales guy was un-interested and dismissive. Decided if I was going to spend that on a bike I’d want some confidence there’d be some reliable after sales service available.
    Maybe it was because it was 4pm on a Saturday pm.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Leisure lakes daventry experience here. They managed to crush a tube on the frame that I built, no idea how would have taken a tonne of force to crush an 853 tube in a park tool stand. Dragged their heels a bit (as the store owner was on holiday) but ended up negotiation on the price with them and they paid me a reasonable price for my trouble. Also claimed they had tools they clearly didn’t (as they didn’t carry out the work in the end.

8/10, would never go there again for any work being done on the bike but would buy stuff there. They were sensible and weren’t giant numpties.

rhayter

I’m thinking of using one of them to get a bike, mail order. Any experience, anyone?

ryan91
    Free Member

My last two bikes have come from these suppliers, though Leisurelakes are local so it wasn’t mail order.
    UBYK took their time delivering, but were helpful and called to let me know of the delay so was happy.
    L.L. are good too, and if you get VIP membership it brings the cost down enough to pay for itself pretty easily. More coverage for returning to a shop too.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I ordered something off Ubyk on Friday, item was showing as “in stock-available in 3-4 days” which I took to mean as in-stock at distributor level. I emailed ’em to ask if it was in stock for immediate delivery, got an email back within the hour stating no (really niche product), but he’d rang the distributor and it was on the shelf there and he could get it in sharpish if I ordered it online. I replied saying cheers that’ll do and that I’d ordered it. They replied again within 10 minutes saying they too had ordered. 12:30 today I got an email saying it had been despatched. So far I’m bloody impressed, looking forward to the delivery getting screwed up haha!

ralexd
    Free Member

I ordered a bike online, a Cube Stereo, from Ubyk. At the time i ordered all new Stereos were the same price, i ordered with Ubyk as they were offering free DMR Vaults, a very decent pedal for nowt :-)Bike was showing as available in 3-4 days. I placed my order and then phoned Ubyk to check when it would be delivered. Staff were friendly and knowledgable, they reckoned the bike would be delivered in 6 days as it would be built up in there workshop,checked over and then delivered on to me. It arrived in 5 days in good condition, exactly as described on the website, delivered by TNT. I’m in East Central Scotland.

fubar
    Free Member

I went to leisure lakes in bury

When the subject has come up in the past Bury kind of stuck out as the poor branch of the Leisure Lakes group. I assume it must have improved a little in the last few years by the fact it still exists. Still I’ll drive past it to visit other bike shops.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have bought three bikes from LL including my trusty Cannondale back in 2008. At the time Merlin and others were offloading very competitive Meta 5s but the LL fella advised they were the cracky frame models and how right he was

Nothing but great service from the Wolves shop

wors

I think leisure lakes Bury, is just pretty laid back. They do seem to have quite a few kids working there though..

wolfrider
    Free Member

I use leisure lakes I Wolverhampton for most things and have always had good service.well stocked shop too.

tymbian
    Free Member

Have used both, very satisfactory. A touch more personal going into ubyk.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Received my delivery from Ubyk this morning, ordered Friday, delivered Thurs after they’d got it from distributor. Communication always spot on. Very happy.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I’ve been using Leisure Lakes in Cheltenham for a few years now.
    Bought a bike and plenty of parts, I like the staff, they seem knowledgeable and friendly.

I do quite a bit of research before I buy ANYTHING but these guys know what sells regularly and what gets returned faulty so I’ll happily listen to their opinions.

Like the others say, it’s worth getting the VIP discount, which is one of the perks of the local MTB group’s membership 🙂

rob8624
    Free Member

Bought a bike from ubyk, there was a four week wait which was unavoidable. They were great in keeping me updated on delivery and in general were really good.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘LeisureLakesBikes.com vs Ubyk.co.uk – angels or b*stards?’ is closed to new replies.