Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Leightweight race grips
  • PaulBecks
    Free Member

One of those ‘persoal preference’ thangs i know but what are the choices?

The uber lights in the camp such as Pork Rinds and Ritchey WCS feel a little bulky to me. I did switch to bar tape last year but is there a light, skinny profile grip out there that i’m missing out on?

I remember Mary McConneloug using some ASI/ESI? grips on her Seven but i think they were only available in the states?

enfht
    Free Member

Sorry but isnt that taking weight-saving a bit too far? Do you also exfoliate before a race to shave another couple of micro-gramms off?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

As above. Do a big poo. Get a hair cut. Ride naked.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

Mum? Is that you….?

wwaswas

get false teet you can take out pre-race, they’re where weight savings are to be made.

fingerbike
    Free Member

do you really need your little toes?

james-o
    Free Member

save about 70-100g by swapping grips, costs about £8? best value weight saving there is. i prefer foam on the xc bike anyway, less dead hand feeling.

Velo make some really nice foam lock ons that are slimmer than the pork rinds, dunno who offers them aftermarket though sorry. lock on version’s a bit heavier though!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

james-o – Member
    save about 70-100g by swapping grips, costs about £8? best value weight saving there is. i prefer foam on the xc bike anyway, less dead hand feeling.

You could just take a power drill to your frame, potential savings are limitless. Costs nothing, assuming you have a drill.

MTT
    Free Member

Its a superb way to shave off 1/4lbs, I’d take a look at the poshbikes site, they have some ultra thin ones. I have used WCS in the past, cut down with X.O twisters, worked a treat.

MTT
    Free Member

PS. ignore the fatties above. 😉

PaulBecks
    Free Member

now i’m feeling the love!!

greeble
    Free Member

this is what you fatties need

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id64.html

they weight 60grammes

PaulBecks
    Free Member

They’re the fellas! good find greeble 😀

STATO
    Free Member

Ive used WCS ones in the past, but i also found them too fat and they spun round in the rain (never had that problem did you MTT, riding in the rain that is ;0)

Ive also used super thin ones which i pulled off one of those hand strength gripper things, they were ace! loads of feel (ie. no cushioning, tho everyone on here says ‘feel’ or ‘feedback’ from your frame is a good thing so i cant get flamed for that!) but in the end they wore out too quickly. Incidently they look exactly the same as the nitrile ones poshbikes sell as another mate now has some of those.

What i use now tho is ergon GX1’s, so much better! they add a good bit of comfort over normal grips with the added control over your whippet like bike on the downs, seriously, one of a few pieces of kit ive bought (like a stiff stem and forks) where performance won out over weight!

james-o
    Free Member

“You could just take a power drill to your frame”

that’s been done before.. in the late 80’s. in all seriousness some brand tried it.

taking the piss out of weight saving attempts is fair game, but riding heavy bikes ain’t fun. even DHers and BMXers are open to it now.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

Yeah… i know a guy too who swears by them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just don’t bother wearing your gloves…..?
    😉

MTT
    Free Member

Ive used WCS ones in the past, but i also found them too fat and they spun round in the rain (never had that problem did you MTT, riding in the rain that is ;0)

👿

It’s sad because it’s true.

sofatester
    Free Member

In the time you chaps have spent on this thread you could have done at least, say 10 intervals. Would that not have a bigger effect? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I like WCS ones, some of the best grips I’ve used, they don’t spin round (for me), only cost £8 and save 1/4lb. Can’t go wrong.. however if you want thinner ones then call poshbikes. In fact, I may have some of them lying around, they are really really thin tho.

I wish people would stop sneering at people that like light bikes. Why don’t you come and have a go on my race bike then tell me how stupid I am?

sofatester
    Free Member

…and we have a bite. 😆

lovewookie

Grab on foams, I love em. not bulky, profiled and support your hand.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

Cool, If you come across them Molgrips, give me a shout.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

james-o – Member
    “You could just take a power drill to your frame”

that’s been done before.. in the late 80’s. in all seriousness some brand tried it.

taking the piss out of weight saving attempts is fair game, but riding heavy bikes ain’t fun. even DHers and BMXers are open to it now.

Im well aware of that. Last year Ben Reid rode a “highly modified” WC Sunday which looked like swiss cheese around certain gussets.

The weight saving trend in DH,BMX and FR wont get out of hand though as a bit of weight aids stability.

dobo
    Free Member

i got a front x0 twister, so use a cut down pork rind, cheap and works ok, dont really know what other options there are if you use twisters tbh

doof_doof
    Free Member

Bontrager foams?

GlenMore
    Free Member
    simply_oli_y
    Free Member

ah, glen more beat me too it.

pinches
    Free Member

i’ve got bontrager race x lite foamies. £4 cant go wrong. i like them alot.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Leightweight race grips’ is closed to new replies.