Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leigh Woods – fun evening on the steeps, mixed success finding some old routes.
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Reminded myself how much fun you can have there, dare I say, off the Yer Tiz trail. I know, only for a few weeks for the year, so make the most of it.

Rode a few features I’ve always looked at doubtfully before (the middle starting line from Picnic Bench, the tight right hand switch back after the root drop a bit further down, the “Drop of Doom” near the car park – rooty and rocky lines negotiated, and the steep roll in to what I thought was the Knicker Trail, where I usually ride into a tree on the right).

Then rode into a small wooden post in the car park and had an embarrassing slow speed crash….

So, are most of the old steep trails still there? More lines seem to be appearing from the Picnic bench, but I’m not sure if it was Knicker Trail I started to ride from that roll in later on. It petered out to nothing and had plenty of sticks placed across it.

An observation – having done a few uplifted downhill runs at Cwmcarn last week (2 and 3 Dot starts), the Leigh Woods steeps are way trickier, even in the dry. OK, so I know it’s mostly wheels on the ground and slower speed stuff, but good practice for an Alps trip.

boxfish
    Free Member

It’s been great for the last 2 months…hopefully this rain won’t last!

wallop

I agree – I can fire down Cwmcarn and FoD with no probs but many trails in LW put the fear in me! Went down Picnic Bench a couple of weeks ago and squealed a bit… Aces.

SOAP
    Free Member

Being new to Bristol I’m still exploring but like the decent near the end of the skills section on yer tiz.
    Not sure if its got a name but a nice mix of rocks and off camber roots.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

That’ll be Rocky Horror I believe.

Thinking about it in the bath, some of those “features” probably scared me when I first looked at them a few years ago, on a small bike, maybe less skills etc. The fear can stay with you for no reason. Anyway, glad they’re ticked off.

When I can manual the rollers, I’ll be properly happy…

rondo101
    Free Member

Rode most of the steep stuff on monday night; a good mix of the old and some of the new lines that have popped up of late and it was all riding pretty well. I do need to find a different way back up than the picnic bench climb as it gets pretty tedious after the 4th or 5th time.

AD – Knicker trail is the opposite side of the gorge from Picnic Bench, starting on the apex of the LH corner of the climb back out & finishing with a drop off a wall.

If you want a guide to point you in the right direction, let me know; I’m always up for riding the steeper stuff & my wife tends to be happier if I’m not doing it on my own!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Might take you up on that. I have ridden it, I remember the wall drop at the end, and some off camber rooty corners. I think I was in the right area, but didnt find it.

So, ride down from the Picnic bench, turn left at the bottom and climb the first part of the track up, before it gets rocky. Turn right for an easier climb at the first junction (there used to be a log across the trail, but it’s gone now – pretty bad in the mud). Isnt Knicker Trail a short distance up there, off to the right?

I’ve seen what looks like a really nice trail that comes out on the Pill path, I need to take a walk up and see what it’s like and where it starts.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Quick moan – what @rsehat has been straight lining the little red descent on the way back to North Road – is this Strava sloblocks or just folk who cant steer around corners?

rondo101
    Free Member

So, ride down from the Picnic bench, turn left at the bottom and climb the first part of the track up, before it gets rocky. Turn right for an easier climb at the first junction (there used to be a log across the trail, but it’s gone now – pretty bad in the mud). Isnt Knicker Trail a short distance up there, off to the right?

Follow that path up, it turns a slight left, then slight right, follow a bit further up to where the path turns sharply to the left. Knicker starts on the right, next to the big tree.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ah, I didnt go far enough, but did pass 2 others of to the left – one well ridden that comes out opposite the bottom of picnic bench, and the other with the step roll in that doesnt seem to be ridden anymore.

“Big tree”……. ❓

wallop

Quick moan – what @rsehat has been straight lining the little red descent on the way back to North Road – is this Strava sloblocks or just folk who cant steer around corners?

Lots of people. Very annoying. It’s practically ruined!

rondo101
    Free Member

“Big tree”

Yeah, i know! As a wood, it’s full of ’em. And few other features of note!

There were 3 other trails you passed. The one with the steep roll in I’ve never tried as it appears unridden of late. The well-ridden one is a less-gnarly version of knicker. No idea on name; someone on here called it “distinct absence of berm” which is quite apt. The other, which is easy to miss, starts between the two & has some of the tightest, steepest switchbacks I ridden in LW.

andyrm
    Free Member

There’s loads of new lines appearing ATM – if anyone’s up for some evening riding on them, let me know!

🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leigh Woods – fun evening on the steeps, mixed success finding some old routes.’ is closed to new replies.