Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Leicester
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was having a think about that Roter. Thing is…they have a title now. It was easier for big clubs to asset strip the likes of Southampton as the players realistically thought they’d never enjoy anything other than a good cup run.

On the other hand, what the bigger spenders can offer is massive wages. Not so sure about Leicester. They have a billionaire owner but their wage bill was tiny in comparison. And it’s wage bills that normally win leagues, not total player expenditure (though that won’t stop the “your club spends more than mine” arguments I’m sure). That tells us all we need to know to infer that this season’s title was won, not bought.

So IMO, Varsy and Mahrez should be staying put next season, there’s nothing to say they can’t have another top 4 finish (and when I say “top four”, I include finishing first – if you’re good enough to finish top four, you’re good enough to win it). It’s not like they play a mysterious brand of football. Their opposition coaches knew what to expect and couldn’t break them down or stop Mahrez and Vardy winning games.

It’ll be interesting to see them in the UCL next year. They’ll be going into the hat with a very high seeding so won’t be the 4th place goal fodder club in the qualifying leagues. So who knows. I expect most of us think they’ll struggle but most of us probably thought they’d collapse before the end of the season.

One thing is for sure, with the extra pressures of the midweek UCL games next season, they now need an actual squad. The off-season spending will be intriguing.

EDIT: IMO, the worst thing about Leicester winning is that the EPL will use it as an excuse to say that nothing needs to change.

binners

Has anyone managed to track down Ranieri yet? You’ve got to admire the class of the bloke. Winning the premiership, and I don’t think he’s been interviewed, or anyones heard a peep out of him yet

theotherjonv

I’m sure i read he went back to italy for sunday lunch with his mum, and was flying back late last night.

Priorities, and Italian mums always come top.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

What the heck was with all fouling at the end of the match.

Spurs didn’t deserve to win with that kind of play.

All Mums come first. You mean you don’t have tea with your Mother?

binners

At the end? The clattering into people started in the first minute, and it never stopped. It just got worse.

Up until last night I would have said that Spurs were title contenders next season. After watching that shambolic, angry, ill-disciplined 2nd half display last night I’d say they’ve got absolutely no chance. The whole squad, including the manager, showed thats there’s no way they can cope with that kind of pressure. They’d totally lost the script. If they’d had a harsher ref, they’d have had a ‘team’ depleted well down into single figures by half time. There were a number of challenges that should have been straight reds. And would have been if that linesman hadn’t completely bottled it! And thats before you get onto the eye gouging. Seriously… WTF?!!!! Champion winning sides down put in ‘performances’ like that last night. Much cooler heads than that are required when it gets to squeaky bum time.

Rockape63
    Free Member

What the heck was with all fouling at the end of the match.

Spurs played without any pressure all season…that was the first one they had to win. Didn’t bring out the best side of them!

Even my old mate Costa looked a veritable Angel in comparison! 😯

senorj

Nice one Leicester.
    A colleague at work is a Spurs season ticket holder. Chortle.
    Any other season they’d have won it..I keep reminding him.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Any other season they’d have won it..I keep reminding him.

Maybe? But yes its a great wind up. 🙂

imnotverygood

I know, Leicester winning it obscures how astounding it is that Spurs are going to finish 2nd.

binners

They’ve not finished second yet. Fat ladies and all that….

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m a judgmental asshat.

More and more on this site – CFH comes across as a total cockwaffle.

I’m hoping he’s a nice person really. But I see total cockwaffle – based on recent performance.

BoardinBob

Nice to see Leicester win – few of the other big leagues in Europe would have a “minnow” win thier top league

In recent years

Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga
    FC Twente won the Eredivisie
    Montpellier won Ligue 1

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And not so long ago Porto won the Champions league, and a season ticket could be had for 70 quid…

dragon
    Free Member

A colleague at work is a Spurs season ticket holder. Chortle.

Really? As a Spurs fan provided we finish 2nd then I’m more than happy with how the season has gone. Youngest team in the league so yeah pressure got to them a little, but they’ll learn. If you want to chortle at anyone then I’d recommend keeping it for Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City who all should have been challenging for the title.

That Vardy goal posted on the first page winds me up, if Sako was even a league 1 level defender then Vardy doesn’t get that ball. It’s 50% awful defending and then 50% a decent hit. Vardy himself has scored better goals than that this season.

dannyh
    Free Member

Despite being from Leicester I can’t claim much reflected glory as football isn’t really my game.

On the style of play theme (which I assume was a troll anyway), I quite like watching end to end mad football (which was not Leicester’s only tactic).

It’s a bit like Wimbledon for me. I don’t like tennis, but I do like watching a big dude like Goran Ivanisevic larupping ace after ace. It’s a legitimate way of playing the game and is more of a spectacle to the ignorant (like me).

I don’t want to watch Barcelona or Spain play tiki-taka until the opposition get bored and make a mistake in the same way I don’t want to watch baseline slugging clay court tennis.

Anyhow – well done to Leicester City – that feeling of playing in a team that gets good results against ‘better’ sides through team spirit and a winning ‘habit’ is one I experienced a couple of times playing cricket and was the best thing about team sport for me.

binners

That Vardy goal posted on the first page winds me up, if Sako was even a league 1 level defender then Vardy doesn’t get that ball. It’s 50% awful defending and then 50% a decent hit.

Don’t get upset buttercup. Its called taking your chances. Which he did, in some style. Its how you win titles! 😉

As an aside, while we’re on Liverpools awful defending : I did enjoy Jamie Carragher on the Sky coverage describing how the Leicester team were feeling, and what it feels to win a Premiership title. As someone tweeted straight afterwards ‘like listening to your mate talking about shagging, when you know he’s a virgin’ 😆

Mackem

I assume my comment is the one regarded as a troll. It isn’t , it’s not the kind of football I like. I like teams that press and make chances thru good passing, like Spurs. Leicester just counter-attack, relying on a remarkably strong defence, some like this style, I dont. That’s it.

binners

I gather from your forum name that we’re talking about the sort of incisive one touch stuff you see practiced by Sam Alladyce squads? 😉

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

<snip>
    It’ll be interesting to see them in the UCL next year. </snip>

I agree. I would love to see them play Barcelona.

Barca would probably score a hatful but can you imagine the likes of Vardy etc. running at Pique and that standing joke that Barca have played on the rest of Europe all season that is Mascherano as centre-half?

They wouldn’t be able to cope with the pace and power.

It could easily finish something like 7-6 and I’m not gonna guess which way.

(Chelsea season ticket holder, great to see us stick it to the Spurs last night, 26 years)

senorj

😀
    That’s the spirit Dragon.
    Chin up.
    🙂

Mackem

Aye – total football from BSA.

moonsaballoon

I have been trying to think of other shocks and the only things i can think off that come close are Greece and Denmark winning the euro’s but i dont think they are anywhere near due to the number of games involved . What i love about this is it means for the first time in as long as i can remember every club will start next season thinking this could be our year and just aiming for 40 points is not good enough anymore .
    Will be fascinating to see how they get on next year , I imagine Chelsea and the two manchester clubs will spend big and Arsenal , well who knows .
    I’d be worried as a spurs fan as like Liverpool they wont get a chance like that again

binners

😀

I’ve had the misfortune of watching United try to play exactly the type of football you’re on about. Its been great! Really entertaining stuff. And no point have I dozed off half way through the first half. Honest. Or just wandered off to do something more interesting. The dishes, some DIY….

binners

What i love about this is it means for the first time in as long as i can remember every club will start next season thinking this could be our year

Anfield syndrome?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO its a one season blip and unfortunately next season will show Leicester where they really sit in the league

Gonna be a lot of 0-0 for them next season as teams just sit deep on them.

Still more likely to be relegated in the next 3 season than win it again

You can never win the league with luck alone but by Christ have they had a bucket load this season – injuries and other “better” teams being utter shite.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binners showing that even on a thread more or less congratulating Leicester on the title, he can’t stop banging on about Liverpool.

convert

An unbelievable season for Leicester and a sporting fairy tail story. But should it have happened (or should they have pulled off a blinder of a season and come 6th)? So much has been made of their team spirit and players playing beyond their preconceived ability level. Should not the ability to be part of a team and play consistently out of your skin, like it really matters, be default behaviour for a footballing superstar as employed by the truckload by the big clubs? Are the players at the big clubs just too monied and too powerful in the modern day game to genuinely care and do what their are told any more? Is this the year that gluttony at the top finally had a consequence?

Lifer
    Free Member

Definitely doping, just look at the palmares! [/cycling reaction]

binners

Oh hang on… I think I’ve got a bite…..

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just think it’s quite sad mate.

jekkyl

It has emerged that John Terry arrived late on Monday night at Jamie Vardy’s house in full Leicester kit to join the Leicester party.

Shortly after the Chelsea vs Tottenham game finished in the draw that saw Leicester’s historic Premiership triumph, John Terry was seen sprinting towards Chelsea’s disabled car park where he was parked.

He was frantically pulling a Leicester shirt over his head as he ran.

“Yes, naturally John went to join the party,” said a friend of the Chelsea captain.

“In many ways, John letting Tottenham score only two goals is the real story of the Premiership. It was his tremendous defending that lead directly to Leicester becoming champions.
    “He is definitely the true hero of the story.”
    An hour or so later, Terry was seen speeding up the A1 in full Leicester kit, frantically decanting some Asda value vodka into a Grey Goose bottle.

He arrived at around 11.30, ready to take up his rightful place in the midst of the celebrations that without him almost certainly wouldn’t have been taking place.

However, sadly he must have been two late as within ten minutes of his arrival all the Leicester players were seen leaving the party muttering about how it was late and they needed to get off but it was definitely brilliant that John Terry had turned up.

The John Terry and Leicester parade on an open top bus through the town is expected to take place at the end of May.

😀
    http://newsthump.com/2016/05/03/john-terry-surfaces-in-full-leicester-kit-at-jamie-vardys-party/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

I just think it’s quite sad mate.

Obsessed doesn’t even come close….

binners

Awwww bless. Group hug? …. and I promise I’ll stop any further mention of ‘our year’

Anyway… back OT. Has Claudio surfaced yet? He’s certainly playing it cool. To say the least.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Leicester’ is closed to new replies.