Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Leica – any point?
  • Nico
    Free Member

What does “imperious” build quality mean? Built like an emperor?

I have a Tower camera. A copy of a Leica 3 made in 1951, I think, with a lens by some upstart company in Japan. It just says “Nikkor”. It’s very nicely made – almost like a watch. Japan had an emperor and he was small. I think my Tower might be imperious.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Imperious
    Adj. meaning arrogant or domineering. This perfectly describes the build quality of Leica cameras.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Pre my washing up – Leica or XXXX?

Spoiler – it wasn’t Leica

ctk
    Free Member

Thankyou GT for explaining the “Leica Look”. The reason it puts me off is I think photography should be about the photographer not the camera.

I prefer the William Eggleston look or the Wolfgang Tillmans look etc.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The reason it puts me off is I think photography should be about the photographer not the camera.

Huh? You want all cameras to look the same?

I mean, the Leica system is very different in technology than many others, of course it looks different, right? And if you like it, then would you not use it to your advantage?

Disclaimer – I don’t have a real Leica, just a smartphone with a Leica-designed camera system and software.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thankyou GT for explaining the “Leica Look”. The reason it puts me off is I think photography should be about the photographer not the camera.

I prefer the William Eggleston look or the Wolfgang Tillmans look etc.

Well I definitely applaud that sentiment! I don’t think the two have to be mutually exclusive though. I think that bonding with your camera, developing the muscle memory for it so that you can shoot really quickly is a key part of creating your own look. It’s quite profound how one camera can make you shoot a completely different way to another. But yes, I agree 100% with you’ the camera is just a tool.

yosemitepaul

Be Warned: Shooting with the Leica M240 is Addicting

Worth a read for both the lovers and haters.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ that’s the down to earth leveler

*goes off to fondle a Leica*

mattyfez

My smart phone has a lecia camera, but after research, it is more of a licencing thing to use the name.

That said it’s an excellent all round snap shooter. But it’s not really any better or worse than any other high end phone camera snap shots.

I’d have to agree with the above.. You have to get used to what you have to know what works and what doesn’t.

Give Eric Clapton a squire guitar and he’ll make it sing like a bird, you have to know your tools.

yosemitepaul

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/photography-blog/2012/dec/28/leica-m-e-rangefinder-photography

Also this Guardian article. The M-E is now a little dated, essentially a cut down M9. Things have moved on to the 240 and M10 but you get the gist.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Leica – any point?’ is closed to new replies.