Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Legs to big for even Leatt 3DF knee pads, help STW big legged boys!
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Well after finding that the XXL Leatt 3DF arm pads fitted bob on I went and ordered the XXL knee pads too to replace my tired/ worn out and ripped from being stretched 661 d30s, I was gutted (probably should be it may help lol) when I slid them up my svelte ex rugby players calves and over my knees to find that they cut tight into my calves and the top strap would not reach round without cutting off the blood flow. So back to CRC they go…..
    Now I have full non pedal friendly Race Face hard armour that mrs S adapted the straps to be long enough to go round my legs but I really need some soft comfortable armour for my old knees for my general riding ie trail centres and off piste/ natural riding as I have a habit of riding up to and beyond my capabilities 😆
    So where on the face of this planet and what make are actually going to be big enough or do I just go for shorter hard armour and again get mrs S to adapt the straps when the inevitably turn out to not be long enough? I wouldn’t mind but when I measured with a tape measure sat so my leg would be in pedalling position I was within Leatts size guide for the XXL and their sizing is bigger than any other manufacturer I have found in the soft pad market!

Suggsey
    Free Member

If it helps in everyone’s search for me bottom opening 18″ or 45cm top 20″ or 51cm…………someone else must be wearing pads with tree trunk legs……..?

toby1

I got some 661 rage pads (I think). I use them for bmx though, definitely not comfortable enough for MTB though and only just make it to the 51/52cm mark. Sorry, clearly not all that much help!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ex rugby player here and Kyle Straits in XL fit grand

Suggsey
    Free Member

Got a pair of Kyle straits but they are old ripped and find they are tight too hence them ripping!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ok I’m out! Good luck

sprocker
    Free Member

I had a similar problem and found the d30 661 ones best but they did not last that long as I had the Velcro strap not on the Velcro. I have xl nukeproof now which are alright for a couple of hours but start to feel a bit restrictive from then on. I tried poc, fox to which were to small at their biggest size. I tend to just not bother now.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Finding it a tad annoying, there must be stacks of us big boned types struggling for kit and trashing stuff like the 661s within a few rides. I nearly kept the Leatt thinking the stitching will give ie rip, but then it doesn’t make sense to do that. I have seen that in Australia they sell XXXL G-Form knee pads so may just bite the bullet and order some and hope they fit!

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

16 inch lower, 19.5 inch upper.
    I’m using Raceface Dig knee pads in large. They cut in a little, so I guess XL would be ok?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers for that Sam, I have found some Race Face Zeros for £25 that Mrs S will adapt to fit comfortably, I suppose I will at least have some shin protection too so no more pedal strike cuts and grazes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Race Face d30 Ambush here. Comfy!

stomlinson
    Free Member

How about the Troy Lee Kg’s they are pretty big I have 17″ calves and found them too big had to change for a medium my riding pal has massive legs and is going from a medium to a large also depends on how much protection you need, worth a look into though

deluded
    Free Member

Yep, I possess V thick-set drummers – 19″ calves.

My 661 Rage Knee Guards 2014 XL arrived today from CRC and fit fine – very comfortable actually, albeit I’ve not ridden with them yet.

Big-M
    Free Member

Used a pair of Leatt XXL knees at the weekend for the first time, comfy enough for 6 hours use. As an ex rugby player I have big legs.
    Not sure how long they’ll last as I did feel I was stretching them a fair bit.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers for the extra replies guys. Like I say the stitching gave way just trying the Leatts on and I couldn’t stand how tight they were cuting into my calf. I know a lot of shopping is done online but like riding shoes if it’s new stuff I would actually buy from LBS if they actually stocked big clothing, pads and shoes. Seems you are okay if you are S or XS as there is always stuff on the racks but never any big sizes. Be interested in how long the 661 rages last before ripping too as the old perforated material just couldn’t take being stretched.

packer
    Free Member

I have seen that in Australia they sell XXXL G-Form knee pads so may just bite the bullet and order some and hope they fit!

They aren’t that big. I am an XXL in G-form and a large in all other brands.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Legs to big for even Leatt 3DF knee pads, help STW big legged boys!’ is closed to new replies.