Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Legoland – Windsor
  • dawson

Going in a few weeks, taking the kids (7 & 6) – anybody been?

Anything to miss/anything to aim for?

Coyote
    Free Member

It's like anything, it's what you make of it. It the kids like lego, the kids will be happy. If the kids are happy, so are you. Some good touches, like lego play areas in the queues, some bad like the little chargeable "extras" dotted around the place. It's very merchandise driven (where isn't?) but you should have a good time.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

ok for best part of a day – wouldn't go for a multi day pass thing

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

don't bother, if you had lego as a kid you will spend the whole day constantly frustrated that you can't pop that one missing brick back on….

luke
    Free Member

My 7 year old lad loves it we go a couple of times a year, look out for special offers or vouchers and you can save a good few quid.

cinnamon_girl

Leave the kids behind and head for Swinley Forest which is close by.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. 😉

dawson

thanks for the replies folks!

@poplarkin – that's useful to know – I had been toying with the idea of going for the 2 day pass

@mmw – I did have Lego as a kid…

@CG – sounds like a plan, but we are visiting friends, so no chance for a ride!

mudpup
    Free Member

Great for 6 to 8 year olds!
    Pit stop cafe at the entrance serves decent grub at reasonable prices. Theres a pasta place in Lego City thats good value too – avoid the hot dogs stands if you can. The pirate show is fun at Lego City, 3d cinema is good.
    Get there early and go straight to Tomb Blaster shooty thing 1st to avoid a long queue- don't get sidetracked q'ing for the rapids river ride on the way in. Might be worth getting a qbot if you need to max your day.
    The 2 day pass will take the pressure off if the queues are bad but you'll probably find you can upgrade to a yearly pass for the same sort of money. We have a 70 mile each way journey but have yearly passes (via Tesco clubcard deals) and get there once a month thru the summer. The November firework displays they put on are absolutely stunning too.
    If you get a yearly pass and use it 3/4 times its good value – it gets you all sorts of discounts on food and lego. We can feed 3 of us on pasta, fruit and drinks for about a tenner with the pass.

Tinners

We last went a couple of years ago, so please check that my information is still up to date.
    Firstly, you can use Tesco clubcard points to get your tickets. Need to plan it in advance because it takes a few days to get the vouchers sent through etc. If you're staying in any local hotels and planning to buy your own tickets, some of the hotels do deals where ticket/overnight stay works out cheaper. We stayed in the Copthorne on Slough (or "Slough-Windsor" as the marketing people like to call it). It was very close to Legoland and convenient.
    If you're going at a "busy time" you can pre-buy your tickets so that you can go through a fast track lane and avoid the queues. Sweets and food can be expensive, so taking your own stuff can work out a lot cheaper. I'd recommend getting there for opening (or just before) if you want to avoid the worst of the queues but beware, when you're through the main turnstiles and think you're in, you're actually held in a sort of waiting area (full of shops and merchandise – a nice touch….) so that your kids can have plenty of opportunity to pester you to buy before you even get in. Finally, the popular rides quickly develop queues. Somebody advised us to make your way straight to the furthermost part of the complex and work back rather than follow the herd and work your way along – that worked realy well for us, such that the kids had a great day and we spent more time having fun and less time queuing. Your kids will love it. Beware if you have really young kids (under five) because some of the rides have restrictions and they may not be able to go on them. If you have more than 2 children, also be aware that some rides are 1 child with 1 accompanying adult so you end up having to go through twice (with twice the queuing) so that everyone has a go (unless you also take grandparents) Hope that this helps.

dawson

cheers folks – all useful info

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Go once a year.
    Use Tesco Clubcard points.
    For the last couple of years we've only gone on those days when nippers school has teacher training days. As a result most rides are walk on.
    Went once during school hols. Never again.

prettygreenparrot

went last year. Spent 2 days in the park with children 5 & 6 years old. It was great. The new attractions were incredibly busy so on day 2 we got the roboqueue pager. Cost a bit, but made sure we got several goes on some of the very neat rides. I'd definitely go again. Used Tesco vouchers to make entry more affordable. And we stayed in Slough.

on the topic of Lego…
    I met a lovely lady from Lego who was stranded by the flight closures in Boston, MA the other week. Had a great chat about Lego and her team's plans to get back to Bilund. She even gave me a Lego keyring for each child. A great ambassador.

I support Tinners' plan. BTW, the Lego store at the entrance/exit is both great and terrible. They had some 'preview' sets in stock and a whole bunch of Lego-branded stuff. Irresistible. Especially irresistible to children.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Get there early and head as far from the exit first. The dragon is a good first rollercoaster. The queuebot is a good idea if you don't mind paying a bit extra and don't like queueing. The driving school and lego racers were also enjoyed by my son…

prettygreenparrot

driving school was super.

miketually
    Free Member

We're taking our two girls (4.5 and nearly-7) there in the summer. We got a good deal on hotel and 2-day pass combined, so the pass is essentially free. Combining it with a day trip into That London to see where the Queen lives.

Some good tips here. Were were pondering a queue-bot; as we're going in the summer holidays it sounds like it's probably a good idea. Disappointed that it's not an actual robot though 🙁

Tiger6791

It's ace, we have an annual pass. Get a queue bot for a tenner. As above head to the wrong end early and go on a weekday if you can. It's all good tbh.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Legoland – Windsor’ is closed to new replies.