Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Legoland – hot tips?
  • kimbers

Taking the young kimbers, 5&7 on Sunday

Any tips ?

I expect my wallet to take a beating!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Go to Harry potter world instead. 😆

salad_dodger

Go somewhere else. You’re welcome.

Northwind

Don’t go to legoland for hot tips, go to soldering iron world

tom200

Don’t take any money with you.

crankboy
    Free Member

Which one ? The que bot thing is well worth it during prime time , take a nice picnic. The dragon roller coaster out of the castle is ace. The nijago ride is basically a ps2 game on a moving sofa. Take a camping towel and spare tops for the wet ride. The Lego shop does not charge a premium for Lego models , the star wars exhibition and submarine ride are ace ( look down in the sub it isn’t really underwater)
    We really loved it.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

dragon rollercoaster +1. also at one of the shops there was a lego equivalent of pic’n’mix, . take some poundland ponchos for the water rides, and a picnic

Yak

It’s horrific. Well probably on par with other theme parks. The actual lego displays are quite good, but that’s not the draw these days.

You could bail out to Swinley….

Steelsreal

go long, everyone piles in and queues for the dragon ride, we went all the way to the submarine first and worked backwards.

Marvel at how many parts of the lego model cities are broken/faded/not working

Parking is not free!

Check out the price for an ice cream!

jonny-m
    Free Member

Take swimming stuff and towels, they’ll love the water park

poly
    Free Member

It’s horrific. Well probably on par with other theme parks. The actual lego displays are quite good, but that’s not the draw these days

I am definitely NOT a theme for park person, and am thoroughly meh about dolls houses or model villages. I went to Legoland Billund this year expecting to be thoroughly disappointed (it having been the dream when I was 10 that never happened). Actually I was positively impressed, with both the rides and the models. I can’t comment on Windsor.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Don’t go it’s hell.

Might be slightly more tolerable in autumn, maybe, but frankly all those Merlin places around London are just awful,

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just don’t go to Windsor on a weekday and jam up the bloody roads 👿 . Really frustrating when half term hits.

but on a Sunday you’re okay 😉

steve-g
    Free Member

Went there last year as we had merlin passes, and as many above I would say give it a miss.

It’s about the same size as the other theme parks, but with 60% of the rides replaced by rubbish old dirty run down pointless lego models to look at.

Spent the most time in the play park area of slides and climbing bits etc, things that are available for free and considerably less busy elsewhere.

kimbers

Just to clarify
    My sis-in-law got tickets & parking super cheap so it’s not costing much so far, otherwise we’d be doing swinley instead!

theteaboy
    Free Member

Ffs. Ignore this lot. It’s bloody amazing. We’ve been to Windsor and Billund. Windsor is bigger and more spread out so do expect a lot of walking. Also, standard theme park advice – start at the far end and work your way back. The lego fries are ace.

rossburton
    Free Member

We went recently on a random Saturday expecting it to be relatively quiet and it was still pretty busy, 45 minute queue for many rides etc. They have an app with live queue times which was great, all day we’d been checking the Dragon (the one proper, albeit short, rollercoaster) and it was between 45 and 55 minutes. About to leave and I did one last check, 15 minutes it said so we legged it across the park and go on.

Still in shock that they charge for parking.

The actual lego city stuff is amazing. The Star Wars exhibition is *epic*.

kongman28
    Free Member

My sister used to have year passes as they lived in Reading so our first trip wasn’t with them. They had the best plan.
    Get there for opening and when the gates open go to the back of the park and work back, it’s a bit tricky dragging your kids past everything but at the same time lots of others stop to look.
    It also worth deciding what the kids really want to do as you won’t do it all and go for those first too.
    That way the rest of the day is more enjoyable and you just do what you want with less pressure, and time spent queuing.
    Our kids love the driving school and the submarine rides.
    It’s not too painful. The all you can eat pizza place is also ok as you get free refills on drinks which are expensive otherwise. It’s basically a Pizza Hut but the fact it’s all you can eat makes it the best value, although it’s not exactly cheap, but you are in a theme park.

revs1972
    Free Member

if you have a vehicle with external spare wheel make sure its secured as theft is rife !

other than that, its mostly a bit tired in there, but its about the kids having a good time, so grin and bear it

Stoner
    Free Member

like poly, took Stoner’s Jr to Billund this year on road trip.
    Model area had some fantastic stuff, and while it looked dated it was still well looked after.

The rides were all great, although I nearly barfed on one.

Boys got to buy a bit of lego, but there’s no discounts or decent deals which is annoying.

We camped next to the park which worked fine for us.

Danish grub is disappointing though.

mick_r

Go to Billund.

No idea about Windsor, but if you have kids dead set on the driving school then go straight there and book a slot. Our youngest also had to (very convincingly!) lie about his age – rationalised as he was building lego kits for 7yr olds, so his lego age was 7 not 6 🙂

TiRed

I’m local and we lived in the road next to legoland for nine months, so use to take the kids in after school.

Top tip is to take in a picnic and some drinks.

It’s been a while, but if you are there early, walk down the hill and head to the bottom of the park and work your way back up. That way you get the lego min world at the end.

I think you might be in luck for fireworks. They are worth watching, we normally head over to the Great Park for a free display.

There is always a big queue to leave, just hang around longer. Then you’ll probably want to feed the family. Plenty of options in Windsor and around. Just say what you fancy.

Speeder

I’ve been to 2 Legolands this year Florida and Windsor. Both were extremely disappointing. The model villages look like they’ve been left out in the sun for 10 years and no-one has cared for them and the places are very understaffed. I totally agree with get there early and make for the back. I can imagine it’s the only way to get on any of the very inadequate rides.

If you want rides go to Alton Towers or similar where they actually care about that stuff. Legoland are very much just cashing in on the name.

martinhutch

Bit late for OP, but go to Billund +1. Stay in Lalandia, then you get theme park and Theme pool within walking distance.

Park closes early November. Just looked at flight prices from Stansted. Eight quid!

daviek

Your kids are 5 & 7 if they like lego at all they will like the place

Went there a few months back for two days, kids loved it and I was happy because they were happy!

as mentioned above take swimming stuff as they loved the water play area even if it was raining 🙂 and if you like star wars at all the display is bloody great!

if you go on the wee water slide near the water park youll need spare shorts/trousers

pack sandwiches and try the doughnuts!

submarined
    Free Member

To everyone that says don’t go, I’m guessing you went with kids?! Did they like it? Hint: you’re probably not going for you…

My 4 year old absolutely bloody loved it, and as a result we had one of the best days out we’ve had.
    Yes it’s busy, yes it’s expensive, but it’s all a bit magic for a tiny person.
    We stayed in the hotel so, as above, started from the back and worked forwards. Worked really well.

So yeah, so go, don’t be miserable, and revel in the inevitable joy it’ll bring to your little one(s).

natrix
    Free Member

Top tip is to take in a picnic and some drinks.

Don’t lug the food around all day though, leave it in one of the lockers at the entrance. Have fun 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

The pirate show is worth watching assuming it’s still on.

ransos
    Free Member

The one in Billund was really quiet when we went, no queues at all. I think Danish school holidays aren’t at the same times as ours, so you can go during their term time.

Mikkel
    Free Member

how does the UK ones compare to the one in Billund in regards to the Lego displays?

johnhe

It’s years since I took my son, but we loved it.

The Queuebot was the best purchase ever.

ctk
    Free Member

My 4&6 y/o loved it, me and OH had a great day also.
    Take a picnic.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t go barefoot. That’s just asking for trouble.

See also: Plugworld

P-Jay
    Free Member

To everyone that says don’t go, I’m guessing you went with kids?! Did they like it? Hint: you’re probably not going for you…

Yes and No, like Eurodisney “the unhappiest place on earth (c)” for the 3-5 mins the ride was running they were in heaven, for 10-15 mins afterwards when they told you how BRILLIANT it all was, they were in utter bliss – but for the 45-50 mins they queued for it, or the car journey, the over-tired afternoon slump, and in the case of my kids dragging tired little legs around the model villages they were properly, really, deeply unhappy and like all kids when they’re unhappy, they want everyone else to be unhappy too.

Theme Parks with some rare moments exceptions are horrible, I’m a devoted people watcher, look around next time you’re in one – apart from the short period when you get on to the ride till about 15 mins later when the rush fades, everyone looks unhappy.

I like Folly Farm, it’s lovley, it’s quiet by the standards of family days and you don’t have to queue to see a Horse or watch the Penguins swim about.

kimbers

Well we had a great day, thanks for all the advice.

By checking the app carefully we managed to avoid any huge queues, and getting in early we were able to get to the far side first.

Took plenty of food and snacks for the queues, so everyone was kept happy.

Would’ve liked to stay for the fireworks, but we were very much tuckered out by 5-30!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

If you drive a VW Transporter put the spare wheel in the van.

Edit: Sorry just seen that someone else mentioned this earlier.

Double edit: just read that you’ve already been.

I’ll get my coat

pictonroad

Well, I’ve had a night to get over my visit to this venue. I do not regard the experience as a positive one.

We paid £36 including parking as a family of 4 (kids 6&3) using vouchers donated by a friend. Full price should have been £246, for one day. The lady in front of us paid this in full after her vouchers turned out to be expired.

We arrived as they opened the gates at 10am, by 3pm we had been on 3 proper rides. THREE. The queues were absolutely atrocious, an hour for 3 minutes in a low end free drive sub par dodgem was the low point.

It’s not even the queuing that grates, it’s the reason for the queues. If you’ve paid your £246 you are of no interest to this place, you’re a low priority parasite and the park is set up to remind of this. As you queue you notice that most people on the rides get on straight away, the actual number of people getting on most rides via the insanely long queues is minimal. It’s all done via their version of priority pass called Q bot, which will cost you £28 per person. Without this, you can basically count on maybe getting on 5 rides for your £246 investment. You need to stump up £112 on top to feel like anyone gives the slightest sh1t about your valued custom. 😥

Everywhere you turn their rip off food is on offer, I expected this but I’d like the option to have a sandwich. All of the ‘nice’ seating areas are reserved for restaurant guests, thankfully most people ignore this for their packed lunches. There are two areas set aside that I saw, some rotting benches in the corner of the park and a laughable small patch of grass at a 30deg angle with a ‘picnic area’ sign.

The actual lego mini world display is brilliant, such ingenuity, genuinely fascinating BUT it’s filthy and not maintained. It’s seems bizarre to let such an expensive and unique asset just go to ruin, how hard would it be to get some people to brush the algae off? ❓

Then an hour, to get from the car park to the road. An hour of idling diesel cars. JOY.

I had to sit in the garden on my own in the dark with a beer to wind down from the experience.

The children seemed to enjoy it but they were pushed to the limits of tolerance by the waiting, fair play to all the kids there, I hardly saw any meltdowns.

TLDR – Legoland is the seventh circle of hell, go to your local fair instead, it’s better, it really is.

TiRed

Glad you enjoyed it kimbers. And pictonroad’s experience is sadly not unusual. Not been for a few years

The Q-bot system is the work of Satan. It’s been banned in some countries. What does it teach children?

I’ve always enjoyed legoland, but my favourite is Chessington, just because of the added zoo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We went with friends (who have kids and annual passes) who had some spare vouchers.

I have no idea why they invited us, I suspect for distraction and sanity.

The Qbot thing is mental, it’s tired too, so for your £20, you only get a promotion from proletariat to 2nd class where they will let you book rides in advance rather than que, for those “considerably richer than yau” there’s an option 50% more expensive again that halves the wait.

And there’s the “Seriously considerably richer than you” one, which is £80 (per person remember). It’s utterly f****** mental! I mean it probably pays for itself if you actually get on rides rather than que all day for your £250 family ticket, and for a day out it’s probably still less than 1/14th of a holiday in the caribbean, but it’s still ludicrous.

It’s probably great if you’re not very local and your kids school have a training day. But at weekends or holidays, why would you do that to yourself?

onlysteel
    Free Member

Only ever used to go when it was a teacher in-service training day. Last time probably 8-9 years ago, using Tesco points to make it affordable. Sounds like it has degenerated further into an exercise in money grabbing exploitation. Still want that Porsche technic set tho’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Legoland – hot tips?’ is closed to new replies.