Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Lego Discovery Centre Manchester
  • BillOddie

Anyone been?

Worth a 2 hour drive?

The wife wants to take the kids, I’m not keen…

Entry prices aren’t the issue as we have Merlin passes.

27orangeninjas
    Free Member

it’s not that big. I’m not sure i’d drive 2 hrs to look around it. Just my opinion. Also the kids didn’t rate it either.

hora
    Free Member

2hr drive to THAT?

Alton towers yes but that small place?

binners

Worth a 2 hour drive?

Not worth a ten minute walk

ourmaninthenorth

The one at the Trafford Centre?

I drove for 30 minutes to get there and regard that as a wasted journey.

Not very good IMO.

BillOddie

binners/hora, I’m assuming you have been inside?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Definitely not. Very limited interest for wee ones. The best bit for my kids was a big pot of Lego. If you have some at home use that.

Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times with my nephews (5 & 7) and didn’t think it was great, but my nephews loved it and that makes it ok with me. Make sure you book though if you’re going at the weekend, unless you enjoy queueing.

binners

binners/hora, I’m assuming you have been inside?

Yes… prepare to be monumentally underwhelmed! After sitting in traffic for an hour around the Trafford centre of course, on the top of your estimated 2 hour journey.

If you’re heading this way, then take them to the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester instead. Now that is worth a 2 hour drive, and its free.

hora
    Free Member

Mrshora has. Better is the steam train journey from Bury at Xmas time.

Or Alton Towers.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

is the steam train journey from Bury at Xmas time.

It goes past the end of my garden!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Worth a 2 hour drive?

No

We’ve been twice. First time wasn’t bad. It wasn’t too busy and the kids enjoyed themselves whilst we sat and had a cuppa. To be honest the bit they enjoyed most was the big indoor play area and we didn’t need to drive 2 hours for one of those. There’s plenty of Lego to play with and a 4D cinema which is entertaining. Think of it as a Lego-themed indoor play area rather than a high-standard national attraction.

If you’re in the areas and have Merlin passes it’s probably worth spending a couple of hours in there and maybe a quick whizz round the SeaLife centre, but it’s not worth a big drive.

Second time was horrible, mainly due to being so busy. Big queues for not very impressive go karts was the low point.

bland

second taking the kids to MOSI, that is a good day out! Lego place is a bit meh

Take the wife to the Corrie set if thats her thing as its round the corner from MOSI

MoreCashThanDash

Been twice as god children are in Didsbury, first not long after it opened, very disappointing, second was a couple of years ago when it had a couple more things on. Was better, but I wouldn’t have paid full whack. Or gone again if it hadn’t fitted in to see the boys.

Lego themed indoor play area is a good description. And if your kids have been to Windsor even they will feel cheated.

MOSI was better IMHO.

dazh

I’ve been twice. It was shit both times. I think even the kids agreed the second time, we were only there about half an hour (we won free tickets in a comp, would never have paid a second time).

martinhutch

Been. Shit.

Stevet1
    Free Member

5 minute ‘tour’ around a pretend factory
    2 minute ghost train where you get laser guns and shoot targets (I won). We did this 3 times. It was a quiet day.
    Walk through a really poor lego model village
    main area has small go karts (need to be 1m tall to ride), a largish adveture play area, a funfair style ride, a 4d cinema which sacred the beejeebus out of the kids who started crying after being sprayed in the face with water (we were sat at the front – big mistake) and pots of lego around the place. Best area was where you get to build your own car and launch it off a ramp to see how far it goes.
    Way out is through a massive lego shop naturally were everything is rrp.
    Only way you could consider it VFM is if you eat you own weight in lego in the main area and poo it out when back home.

mrchrispy

its a horrible horrible place.

expensive and pretty much always rammed, bored parents playing with their phones when the kids run riot. as for driving 2hours to get there….the most exciting part of the day would be the 2 hour drive home

hora
    Free Member

OP – you could drop them in there then buy a coffee/pastry in Valerie Pattisere, browse mags and buy CD/DVD’s in HMV.

Thats what I generally all do in the Trafford centre.

geoffj

martinhutch – Member
    Been. Shit.

Post of the day 😆

Harry_the_Spider

Ghastly place. Expensive, overcrowded and small.

Avoid.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Take the wife to the Corrie set if thats her thing as its round the corner from MOSI

I’m assuming it’s a few years since you went then? It’s not there any more.

hora
    Free Member

MOSI rocks for kids.

Cougar

MOSI rocks for kids.

FTFY.

funkrodent

Don’t bother, it’s certainly not worth any kind of journey, let alone a 2 hour one. Been there twice, second for a birthday party that was by some stretch the worst kids party I’ve ever been to (and I’ve been to some very, very poor ones).

MOSI on the other hand is great!

hora
    Free Member

FTFY.

We are ALL kids. We just pretend we aren’t…….

simmy
    Free Member

I’m assuming it’s a few years since you went then? It’s not there any more.

It’s reopened last year but it’s only the street set and backstage tour, not the big attraction it was in the late 80’s early 90’s

I went about a month ago and enjoyed it.

prettygreenparrot

I’ve been a few times. First time was enjoyable with young children. Once they’re a bit bigger it doesn’t quite have enough space to entertain them. It’s worth a visit if you’re compelled to go to the Trafford Centre anyway. It’s more fun than some other parts of the place. The shop often has Lego that’s hard to find outside of a Lego store. And it is just around the corner from Krispy Kreme. My suggestion? Buy some Lego, put aside 5 hours, play at home.

A 2 hour drive? You will get more value out of a trip to MOSI and a walk around Castlefield.

h1jjy
    Free Member

I’ve never been myself (as they don’t let in adults without kids) but not heard anything good about it.
    But MOSI is fab.

But if you still want to go be careful what time you pick as getting near the place can take a good hour as it does get very busy around there.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s reopened last year

It has, but it’s not near MOSI. It’s in Trafford Park so not an easy stroll from Castlefield.

midlifecrashes

MOSI is ok, at best. Sure some nice big engineering to look at, but the buildings are run down, dirty and cold. There are loads of empty galleries without exhibits, and lots of exhibits are in bad condition and poorly explained. Sure, it’s nice to have a techie museum close by, but MOSI doesn’t seem to be doing even adequate conservation, never mind education or inspiration. For kids inspiration, head to Halifax Eureka, for engineering, Quarry Bank or the canals, or the Thackray medical museum in Leeds.

unovolo
    Free Member

It’s reopened last year
    It has, but it’s not near MOSI. It’s in Trafford Park so not an easy stroll from Castlefield.

The street tour is still in Manchester, agreed the new set and filming is done in Salford quays, but the Corrie street tour is 2mins walk from MOSI, still wouldnt bother with it though.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Lego Discovery Centre Manchester’ is closed to new replies.