Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lego Dimensions. Yerwotnow?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Chuffed with myself for completing the xmas shopping today without breeching my tat ratio limit.

Just nipped into Game for a mooch around the pre-owned shelves and on my way out this new-fangled Lego Dimensions thing caught my eye. I was vaguely aware of it, and after a brief but, inevitably, unfulfilling moment of exploration with the young blonde (female) Game employee, I came away only a tiny bit better informed.

General gist seems to be, Base Game, with physical “portal”, comes with some characters and a 3-in-1 vehicle to build (£75). These get magic’d into the game.

You can buy additional “levels” (say, the Simpsons level £15-25) and you get to unlock difference characters and vehicles, again by building from the upgrade kit and up-portalling them intp the game.

So a few tech questions:
    I assume there’s some kind of NFC token in the characters/vehicles that is read by the upload portal, which itself communicates with the console?

How does the NFC know which configuration the vehicle is built in?

How does the portal communicate with the console? (spec XBOX 360)

Can the expansion levels be used on more than one console? Is there a s/h market in level packs?

When a Level is “unlocked”, is it downloaded to the console? How much space on storage does it need? Once downloaded and the new characters and vehicles unlocked, do you need to place them on the portal to use them in game again or are they remembered?

Have I got this completely rong?

Anyone else investigated this lot yet?

(top xmas prez find though was http://www.bigcheesemakingkit.com/ looks a laugh, and perfect for the cheese monster in your life. You know who you are.)

Olly
    Free Member

Probably no nfc. Either something boring like a scratch of card in the box, or it uses the kinetic camera?

rockhopper70

I think it is NFC chips in the base, similar to the Disneyt Infinity system
    FWIW, there was a review of the game and someone totted up that to buy everything that went with it, every game pack and character, would cost just over £800.00.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

would cost just over £800.00.

that’s kind of what Im worried about unless there is a liquid and unrestricted s/h market. I wont be starting the boys on it unless they can get substantial gameplay out of it for <£150 over 2yrs or so.

rockhopper70

my 9yo lad has just got the infinity 3 software.
    It seems a lot cheaper than the lego set and from what I read, add-ons like the back to the future kit on lego cost a great deal and open up about half an hour of locked game play.
    I thought about it, but decided against it. Part of the reason was the size of the portal and storage of that alone. The infinity mat is like a thick, wired mouse mat whereas the lego portal is a big lump of a thing.

Stoner
    Free Member

how does the infinity mat connect to the console?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

the problems is there will be a version 2 out and the characters have limited interaction.. see skylanders spyro, giants, swap force, trap team, super chargers and infinity 1.0 2.0 and 3.0

It seems even if you can use the previous characters it need new items to unlock the gameplay. A new twist on in game purchases i suppose

jb72
    Free Member

how does the infinity mat connect to the console?

cable to the USB socket on the front.

stonster
    Free Member

why don’t you just buy them some lego? A lot simpler to work out and will last approx 10x as long…

wrightyson
    Free Member

I just assumed this was a thread about what we call each size of lego piece. The mrs even managed to number the Indian sandstone pavers we’ve recently laid in a similar manner.

nemesis
    Free Member

Nem jnr (7.5) has it and it seems pretty popular. It’s essentially pretty similar to the other lego (eg star wars, marvel, etc) games but the portal does add another dimension though I’m not really convinced it’s that different to justify it and to me at least, some of the puzzles with the portal seem a bit similar.

The portal is usb and the figures, etc stand on a proprietary nfc chip. The cars, don’t really register specifically depending on how they’re built.

AFAIK the figures etc aren’t locked to a console but I’m not certain on this. They wouldn’t work though without the nfc tag being present so if you sold them you couldn’t then continue to use them.

Would I recommend it? At full price, probably not. Second hand or reduced, yes,probably.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks nemesis. Very useful info.

I think for now the standard lego games s/h cover it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lego Dimensions. Yerwotnow?’ is closed to new replies.