Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • LEGO acquire a new licence…
  • Cougar

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/04/doctor-who-in-lego-bbc-strikes-deal-with-toy-manufacturer

Doctor Who fans will be able to build their favourite characters out of Lego after the toy manufacturer struck a deal to make the first Lego Doctor Who set with the BBC’s commercial arm, BBC Worldwide.

The new range followed a worldwide Lego competition where fans were able to submit ideas and vote for their favourite product.

Lego Doctor Who will feature a “range of Doctors, companions and monsters [from] across the show’s history”, the company said.

Please, please let there be a TT Games outing.

davosaurusrex

I was hoping it was going to be Octonauts…..

nemesis
    Free Member

Hmmm… I’m struggling to get excited about that. Not really sure why as I like Lego and I like Doctor Who.

mogrim

Be interesting to see how they managed to make a TARDIS model bigger on the inside.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A LEGO Doctor Who game is a must!

sands
    Free Member

They’re already doing politicians for the forthcoming election.

Peter Brookes

lemonysam
    Free Member

I really want a Lego Strax.

TooTall
    Free Member

This licence-chasing has ruined Lego as a good kids toy. I loved Lego and played with it for the majority of my childhood. Modern Lego has no imagination left in it (cartoon characters, specific kits to build specific items, TINY blocks) and is no longer the big mixed box of imagination-driven fun.

Cougar

We’ve had this argument before. You were wrong then as well. (-:

LeeW

LEGO Daleks will be awesome!

CountZero

TooTall – Member
    This licence-chasing has ruined Lego as a good kids toy. I loved Lego and played with it for the majority of my childhood. Modern Lego has no imagination left in it (cartoon characters, specific kits to build specific items, TINY blocks) and is no longer the big mixed box of imagination-driven fun.

Nobody holds a gun to your head forcing you to buy it, all the standard stuff is still there.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Classic Clego! I’m really pleased to see them marching ahead and staying alive in a world increasingly drawn to screens. Lego is a great toy, shame Meccano can’t get similar traction, is there still Meccano even?

They should work on a light sabre kit, I need to build one.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m a Lego purist too. Keep up the good fight* TooTall.

*on the internet

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Pah, searched and found Meccano it’s French now, they closed the Liverpool factory, no wonder we don’t hear much about it the French have the marketing skills of a slug. They even have a license to build Star Wars stuff, got a license for it in 1978, and they’ve singularly failed to produce a construct your own light sabre kit – pathetic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you could get a lego copy – just the same and Have a Dalek factory and stuff anyway

Forget who makes it though

nickc

and is no longer the big mixed box of imagination-driven fun

If you lack the imagination to make something else out of a kit of whatever licence driven lego blocks you’ve got, that’s your problem. Don’t tar everyone else with the same brush

I_did_dab
    Free Member

and is no longer the big mixed box of imagination-driven fun

“everything is awesome”
    someone hasn’t seen the Lego movie…

Cougar

Forget who makes it though

Mega Bloks.

Drac

This licence-chasing has ruined Lego as a good kids toy. I loved Lego and played with it for the majority of my childhood. Modern Lego has no imagination left in it (cartoon characters, specific kits to build specific items, TINY blocks)

Most of them have been around for well over 30 years.

iain1775
    Free Member

The Lego Dalek and K9 do look quite cleverly constructed

Also approved in this round of the Ideas projects was a lego Wall-e that looks quite good and should be a reasonable price as it looks to be quite a small kit

TooTall
    Free Member

If you lack the imagination to make something else out of a kit of whatever licence driven lego blocks you’ve got, that’s your problem. Don’t tar everyone else with the same brush

I’ve got a 5 year old daughter and I’ve been trying not to buy the ‘set piece’ Lego kits they sell. Even going to a Lego store is an onslaught of one trick ‘build this branded thing’ boxes. They also contain far more smaller specific pieces than they ever did. Even the teachers at my daughters pre-school agree.

ads678

Lego’s great! Doctor who on the other hand is shit, always has been, always will be. Flame away it’s just my opinion. I’ll be giving this a miss though. 🙂

drlex
    Free Member

Rather sadly, until this is released, I’m hovering over “buy” on the LEGO Ghostbusters ECTO-1.

Northwind

I saw that just before Christmas, if I’d seen it earlier one of my brothers would have got it for sure. I reckon the ghostbusters could take that weeping angel…

Drac

I’ve got a 5 year old daughter and I’ve been trying not to buy the ‘set piece’ Lego kits they sell. Even going to a Lego store is an onslaught of one trick ‘build this branded thing’ boxes. They also contain far more smaller specific pieces than they ever did. Even the teachers at my daughters pre-school agree.

Ermmm!

Since the 1950s, the Lego Group has released thousands of sets with a variety of themes, including town and city, space, robots, pirates, trains, Vikings, castle, dinosaurs, undersea exploration, and wild west.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

My son seems to be able to invent new stuff to make out of his star wars Lego without any problem. But then, he does the same thing with toast to. when I was about 9i was over the moon with my space Legoset, and carefully followed the instructions to build the space ship, a useful skill. Then I dismantled it and created something else.

zilog6128

cartoon characters, specific kits to build specific items, TINY blocks

Not only are these the reason why modern LEGO is better than ever, without them (the licensed characters especially) the company would’ve gone to the wall years ago.

Still plenty of boring shite LEGO out there for you moaners purists, fill yer boots:

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘LEGO acquire a new licence…’ is closed to new replies.