Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Legally towing an uninsured/untaxed van ?
  • lasty
    Free Member

Got roped into helping a mate collect an untaxed/uninsured van won on ebay… 🙄
    Question for the massive is can I legally tow this behind my car ?
    The van seems in good shape and brakes etc functioning – as it stands at the moment hes up for driving it the 10 (busy) miles to his and chancing it. Only a small van btw so weight not an issue ..

jackthedog
    Free Member

Not legal I’m afraid. With towing, very little is.

If you tow him, you’re breaking the law as well as him. If he’s prepared to break the law you might as well just leave him to take the risk on his own and tell him to stay away from ANPR sites.

pictonroad

no need to risk it, book an MOT and day insure it to drive to the MOT. Depends if it’s worth the risk vs spending a few quid to do it properly.

him driving it = he gets in trouble, you towing him, you both get in trouble.

no brainer. I’ve bought and towed all manner of untaxed and dodgy nonsense over the years, given it all up now, too many cameras…

plus, you might crash into a child’s face etc etc

z1ppy

Not legal I’m afraid.

Well I wasn’t aware of that, always assumed it was, everydays a school day…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If the van is on the road (being towed by a rope, A frame or bar), or being driven then it needs MOT, tax and insurance (unless its on the way to a pre booked MOT (by the most direct route as well) then it only need to be insured). If its on a trailer then it needs non of those.

lasty
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – informative as ever !

Managed to get collection put off until Tuesday but would still prefer it collected on a low loader/trailer but hes struggling to get anyone interested. Worse case scenario being he`ll take out some insurance, book an MOT and chance it…

Thanks again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

place an add on shipley

tell them what you need moved and where to and from.

worked for me moving land rovers a few times

garage-dweller

hire a trailer if you have the right license entitlements and a tow bar. You might be ok on a towing dolly that lifts/supports the front wheels as then it is wholly Underthe control of the towing vehicle

andyl
    Free Member

look on ebay for car transportation services.

Lots of places that will do it for about £1 a mile. Has to be on a trailer as already said or you will get shafted.

garage-dweller

I should add I don’t know the answer on the dolly point. It may not be legal but logically if it doesn’t need to have someone in it then it seems logical that it is not being driven or used on the highway.

Logic doesn’t always come into these things though

benji
    Free Member

Out of interest what van? If it’s something big like a full size crafter you might struggle whereas a bipper teepee would be a doddle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dollys are not legal for towing untaxed or uninsured cars

Basically none of the car is allowed to touch the road while being transported. if it does it needs tax and mot

Any car breakers near you ?
    They’ve usually got a transporter of some sort for fetching scrappers in, they might do a local job for cash.
    Or hire a trailer for the day. Cost me £25 last time I needed to move an untaxed Land Rover

garage-dweller

Trail rat thanks for clarifying. On reflection I think I can see why that might be the case. Sure I have seen very not road legal cars at track days arriving by dolly in years gone by.maybe it’s my memory playing tricks on me – quite possible and it’s been a fair few years now

andyl
    Free Member

yeah dollys are really only for emergency recovery use I think. Unless you have some way to activate the cars rear brakes or you are towing a micro car thingy that is under the unbraked weight limit.

Car being towed still needs to legal though as it has wheels on the ground.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Legally towing an uninsured/untaxed van ?’ is closed to new replies.