Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Legally changing your actual name(s) – NOT Forum one!
  • cinnamon_girl

Serious question – has anyone ever changed either their first name or surname, possibly due to bankruptcy/divorce/widowhood etc?

Was it a huge hassle with officialdom and accompanying administration?

How did you decide on a name?

My first thought was Ethel Inbred then quickly decided that Juliana Santa Cruz made me sound like top totty 8)

Looking forward to the replies 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Either Busty St Claire or Chesty LaRue (thanks to Homer J. Simpson).

MrNutt
    Free Member

how about "whilst stocks last",

…it has a sense of urgency and could also imply that you're up for spending rigorous & vigorous evenings entertaining politicians in private quarters?

yamyamblade
    Free Member

you can do it online partner did it when she got divorced, cost about £30 and very easy, all online then certificate comes get someone to witness it and it's done!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I changed my surname. Dead easy. There's a legal form that your local solicitor that you just fill out saying you won't use your old name, that has to be witnessed by an upstanding member of the public that knows you.

After that, you just include your change of name form whenever you normally apply for something using your birth certificate, like your driving license, passport etc…

Once you've changed everything, it's dead easy and you don't really need to use it as most people will use your passport as ID.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It's an easy thing to do, but a tedious thing to convince people you have done.

You execute a deed changing your name, and there's then an optional procedure for enrolling it with the court. Once you've done that you'd then need to send a copy of it (probably certified by a solicitor) to everyone like your bank, landlord, utilties, passport office etc etc etc.

I believe if you're married you also need the consent of your spouse to the change.

I like Juliana Santa Cruz. Cool sounding names are the way to go.

alanf
    Free Member

Try the name of your first pet followed by your mothers maiden name….

jahwomble
    Free Member

Juliana Santa Cruz is ace, go for it, we can have a whip round if needs be.

cinnamon_girl

mitch – will pass on that, thanks 🙂

MrNutt – are you suggesting a way of maintaining my bike habit 😉 How are you btw?

Everyone – thanks for your help and nice to know my Juliana suggestion is deemed cool 8)

Er, what happens if I change it (as I tend to do)? Wait a minute, we may have another contender …

tankslapper
    Free Member

And apologies these are from the net!

Dixi Lot?
    Iona Bierhaus?
    Anita Morehead ?
    Mary Juana?

or

Ti Tanium ?

Bunnyhop

I changed my name when I got married. That caused so much hassel 'cos computers could only cope with the surname change and not the Christian one as well.
    I still get post and all sorts of funny variations of my old name and new names mixed up on various forms and bills years later.

I like Juliana too. go for it.
    Tara Palmer-Tompkinson has a sister called Santa.

Moses

Yes, years ago, via Statutory Declaration (easy, cheap) rather than by Deed Poll.

There was a bit of faff with banks, etc, but nothing serious. It was done when moving jobs & towns, so there was little confusion with the old name

samuri
    Free Member

no need to answer if it's a sensitive subject but why would you want to change your name? Although I could understand it if you wanted to change it to Felix Trousersnake or something.

allthepies
    Free Member

Witness relocation programme ?

cinnamon_girl

Interesting reading 🙂 Bunnyhop – I assume you just didn't like your first name and whilst one was being changed through marriage, why not change two?

I will shortly be in a position to not use my current surname, don't want to go back to my maiden name so, hell, why not change both 🙄

Actually, I don't really dislike my first name now that I come to think of it 🙄

Someone give me a slap 😯

cinnamon_girl

allthepies – sssssssssssshhhh!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

your name is whatever you say it is

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My girlfriend's sister changed hers coz she didn't like her surname. Wasn't much hassle although she was only 18 at the time so probably didn't have that many things that it would affect at that age compared to someone older…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Someone give me a slap

anywhere in particular ?

BigJohn

There was an Irishman who changed his name to Deed Poll.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Big John

I know his two brothers!

Liam Malone and Paddy O'Doors……..

addict
    Free Member

my mate alan changed his name to digital. fair do's. alan is a bit of a shit name.

BigDummy
    Free Member

your name is whatever you say it is

This is true, as a matter of common sense and indeed law. The issue is proving that a person calling themselves Juliana Santa Cruz should be allowed to clear out cinnamon-girl's bank account. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

anywhere in particular ?

Do you have a firm hand? 😉

Some amusing replies 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Do you have a firm hand?

you better believe it :o)

cinnamon_girl

you better believe it :o)

I'm impressed 8)

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Did mine online, piece of cake. They send you certified copies and then you just right a basic letter confirming details and send copies out to all banks utilities etc. No more of a headache than moving house and changing address details.
    Name change is same price how ever many names you give yourself.
    It took all of my will power to not change my middles names "the Champ"

whytetrash

Lass that cuts my hair is called Joanna Orgy…suprised she's not looked into this…or been in more of a rush to get hitched!

thejesmonddingo

Knew a guy who changed his name to Dante Gabriel Rosetti,but if I'd been born Martin Shufflebottom I would've too.
    Ian

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I believe the law is different in Scotland to England – so where are you? In Scotland all you have to do is announce to the world that you have changed your name. IIRC

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but if I'd been born Martin Shufflebottom I would've too.

Oh I dunno. Shufflebottom would suit me.

Peter Shufflebottom.

It has a certain ring to it I think…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Peter Shufflebottom.

It has a certain ring to it I think…..

it rather depends whose bottom you are shuffling…

BigDummy
    Free Member

In Scotland all you have to do is announce to the world that you have changed your name

I'm sure this is correct, indeed I think it is the strict position in England. But the Passport Office probably wasn't listening when you announced it, neither was your bank. Hence the need for a document in which your announcement appears, which is identifiably made by you. 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I knew a bloke called Arthur Smells, he went to the registrar to change his name by deed poll & the registrar starts laughing, 'ha haha, i'm not surprised you want to change a name like that, what do you want to change it to?'
    Arthur says, 'Fred Smells'

Coat, hat..i'm off.

Blackhound

This is apparently true, a woman called Pat married someone whose surname was Mycock!

DrP

Pete – you shall be forever more known as shuffle-butt!!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

What a hoot! Pete Shufflebottom! Love it!

OK, any more votes for Juliana Santa Cruz? Or should I just ditch the Juliana bit cos how on earth at my age can I remember a different name 🙄 Blimey, my rubbish hearing will get blamed again when I don't answer.

Jeez … why did I start this thread 😯 Better have a lie down …

Bunnyhop

Talk about hearing c_g. My memory isn't what it used to be, I just remembered I said I was interested in your 'octane'. Realised when mr.b.h. came home it's too small, as I prefer a big bladder, need my drink see.
    Eyesights going too. May need to start wearing psec on the trails now, as everything is in soft focus.

cinnamon_girl

Poor Bunnyhop 🙁

I carry a little magnifying glass with me for map reading duties … slight problem in that I can never find it amongst all the junk in the backpack.

This riding lark has to be better than sitting on the sofa?

oldfart

CG if you decided to become a nun you could be Sister Gnarrrr!!!! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Legally changing your actual name(s) – NOT Forum one!’ is closed to new replies.