Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Legal question – revealing email, IP of a forum poster to a third party
  • beej

So – if there is a public forum where people register using an email, but have a username (and email can be hidden), what’s the law if a third party asked for the email address of a poster?

IP address?

I’m guessing email could be PII so comes under DPA? Law enforcement could request under RIPA?

(Not this forum, not relating to me as the poster or the 3rd party)

matt_outandabout

What are you selling~? 😉

tomhoward

How thick are the posters glasses?

beej

I’ve got a Guerciotti Record frame and a damaged Scott CR1, plus some cranks and wheels. Not advertised them though.

I’m not entirely sure how that relates to my question?

Oh, links to relevant legislation would be useful too!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is it a European forum or an African forum?

Flaperon

Third party request should be ignored by the owner of the forum.

If serious enough to merit legal action then precedent exists. Google “Patel vs UNITE”.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it a European forum or an African forum?

I think my Dad used to read those in the 70s

beej

Ta.

Forum is US hosted.

Third party is UK. Poster could be in one of several companies. Data that was exposed in the post is UK related.

wwaswas

*waits for Edukator*

tjagain

MY understanding ( and its not an area of data protection I am certain of) is that they would either have to gain your permission to do so or have either a court order or similar legal request to do so

The Nursing and midwifery council who I have to register with as a condition of my employment obviously have my address. They sold this ( along with half a million other peoples addresses) to a marketing company. They had put it in their annual briefing that they were going to do this and asked folk to opt out. I did not see this briefing. The information commissioner took a very dim view of this. Forced them to stop the practice immediately. Forced the marketing company to destroy the list of names, forced the NMC to change their procedures and made the head of the NMC apologise to me. This was as a result of my complaint to the information commissioner

the basic principle is that you can only use information given to you for the purposes that you gave them the information and that an opt out in using info in other ways is not sufficient – it has to be an opt in and not a pre ticked check box hidden in small print.

tjagain

Ah – us based? If the info is stored in the US then does UK law apply?

rene59
    Free Member

Tell them to **** off. If they have a legal right to the info they can go through the relevent channels.

beej

I think I’ve found the answer (in my case). For this particular forum, the sign-up terms and conditions cover disclosure of contact information if 3rd party intellectual property is revealed.

This situation is a bit like:

– Company makes bikes
    – A contractor working for bike company posts design details of a secret bike on a public forum
    – Company wants to find out who did it

(It’s not actually related to bikes but you get the idea)

trailwagger
    Free Member

I think I’ve found the answer (in my case). For this particular forum, the sign-up terms and conditions cover disclosure of contact information if 3rd party intellectual property is revealed.
    This situation is a bit like:
    – Company makes bikes
    – A contractor working for bike company posts design details of a secret bike on a public forum
    – Company wants to find out who did it
    (It’s not actually related to bikes but you get the idea)

Scurries off to delete the post about see thru toilet cisterns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Legal question – revealing email, IP of a forum poster to a third party’ is closed to new replies.