Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Legal help regarding letterboxes [any posties?]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Is there a law that says that you have to have a working letterbox or equivalent way of a letter being delivered to your home?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I fitted a new door this Summer. Anyway, I got the two locks fitted on the first day and didn’t get round to cutting out the hole for a letterbox. Next day, I had the police at the door. They threatened to arrest me unless I jigsawed out a hole there and then. Bastards.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’m a postie , I reckon if you can arrange something with your local delivery office there shouldn’t be a problem. Just let them know you’ll collect your mail.

andyl
    Free Member

My front door with letter box is round the corner from a locked full height gate so the posite just throws the post through the gate.

You could always get a mail box.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m a postie , I reckon if you can arrange something with your local delivery office there shouldn’t be a problem. Just let them know you’ll collect your mail.

Not for me, I was delivering something today, and the guy had his letterbox taped up pretty well. Knocked and rang on the door for ages, no answer. Eventually got bored, peeled back the tape, and put the letter through the door. A minute or two later he came out and threatened to kill me if I didn’t take the letter back.

Thanks for the help DD 😀

Also there was no walled garden or anything, any letter left on the step would’ve been nicked/blown away. No conveniently placed rocks either, and if it rained it would’ve got soggy.

druidh
    Free Member

Surely all you’d have to do is put out a small box and write the word “letters” on it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

threatened to kill me if I didn’t take the letter back.

😯

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, he didn’t seem that nice. He also threatened to report me to the police, I’m guessing for unsticking his sellotape. Just got me curious about if he was actually in the wrong to start with or not.

andyl
    Free Member

crikey!

I take it the guy has probably got debts up to his eyeballs and keeps getting debt collector letters?

Next time take a hammer and 6 inch nail and nail the thing to his door 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s got to be a back-story. What were you delivering? Eh? Eh? Eh?

RealMan
    Free Member

There’s got to be a back-story. What were you delivering? Eh? Eh? Eh?

Packets of heroin, duh.

Electoral roll letters. Doesn’t go through royal mail, they all get hand delivered (at least in this area), so if he’s set it up to collect his mail at the post office or have everything delivered to his work, it’s a bit tricky to get it to him, as it’s got to go to the house. Probably should have just taken it back off him, there’s a £1000 fine if you don’t fill them out and send it off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Meh…not interesting enough 😐

🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

He also threatened to report me to the police, I’m guessing for unsticking his sellotape.

The unsticking of the sellotape by you was wrongful (possibly to the least significant degree possible).

I think he was in the right to be annoyed at you (although threatening to kill you is probably a bit extreme). If someone doesn’t come to the door, it might mean they just don’t want to talk to you, so sod off.

You couldn’t have just tucked it into the side of the door?

_tom_
    Free Member

Always take a set of bombers with you on your round.

spooky_b329

Should have just put it in the closest letter box. Then the Postie would have to deliver it, along with a nice sticker with the charge for the stamp and the handling charge 🙂

poly
    Free Member

I presume you have reported his breach of the peace (threatening to kill you) to both your employer and the police?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Legal help regarding letterboxes [any posties?]’ is closed to new replies.