Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Legal bods – please help. What's the definition of separation?
  • muddyfunster
    Free Member

Under UK law I mean? as it might be viewed say, by a bank? or similar financial body??

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

In what context?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

If you are meaning from marriage – once the two of you no longer inhabit the same home so far as I am aware.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddyfunster
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

In what context?

Sorry, yes I meant with regards to marriage.

If you are meaning from marriage – once the two of you no longer inhabit the same home so far as I am aware.

Yes, but what I mean is, is it a legal state? Like married/divorced or is it just a “term” that means nothing really in the eyes of the law?

The reason I ask is that for pretty complicated (but not in anyway illegal 🙂 ) reasons I’d rather not get into, it might be of benefit to my wife and I to declare we are separated. So, what I guess I’m asking is, what’s the minimum we would need to do to be considered separated?

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I have been trawling google, but I’m no solicitor and am finding it difficult to cut through the jargon. I’ve been asked to provide a letter from a solicitor stating separation. I haven’t been asked to provide any court ruling, or decree of judicial separation. Just a letter. Seems vague.

I cant really afford solicitors bills at the moment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are you separated?

iDave
    Free Member

you write a letter saying you’re now separated and you sign it and you live apart and do your best not to get caught, as presumably you’re partaking in a bit of the old fraud? – maybe

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Why do you need the letter? For what purpose?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Benefit fraud is illegal.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

Benefit fraud is illegal.

It’s not bloody benefit fraud.

Steve-Austin – Member

Why do you need the letter? For what purpose?

To prove to a bank that I am not my wife’s dependant, which I am not. This is what I’ve been er, advised by a financial adviser.

cinnamon_girl

If a letter from a solicitor is required then surely it will need to be a ‘Separation Agreement’ signed by both of you. It will also detail how your house/possessions/bikes/financial affairs are divided.

After two years you can then apply for the ‘decree absolute’ and be effectively divorced. However, if one party does not agree to this, there is bu**er all you can do. Which is what may suit your needs.

I would nevertheless consider very carefully your course of action.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Legal bods – please help. What's the definition of separation?’ is closed to new replies.