Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Legal and general insurance sucks. Do not buy
  • andyplasterer
    Free Member

Legal and general insurance sucks 
    Hope they go bust  scammers 
    Do not buy house insurance of  them 

scaredypants

sorry to hear, but please can we have a bit more detail ?

tomhoward

Worst. Rant. Ever.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lightman
    Free Member

What do you expect from a Classifieds only poster!

andyplasterer
    Free Member

?????? Knob head

paulosoxo
    Free Member

[/quote]

Concise, and to the point. A+

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but not wrong.

My mate worked for them – when he was done over they offered lowball amounts – such as £100 less for a Sony tv, saying that was what they could get it for.

They may well have been able to get it for that, but my mate couldn’t.

bigdawg
    Free Member

Sounds like the OP tried to claim for something that wasn’t covered – if it really is a cock up on L&Gs behalf then make a complaint through the FSA, theyve dealt with a couple for me with good results, if however it was a case of assuming something was covered and wasn’t then rightly thats not their problem.

Turnerguy – If L&G can source the same TV for £100 less then they have to offer replacement of the original. If however your friend wanted a cash settlement then they arent obliged to pay more than they have to provided they can prove they can get the TV at the price they state.

That applies to every Insurer in the UK not just L&G

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

?????? Knob head

Good reason not to insure through L&G?
    ..or good reason not to listen to you?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is that true? I’m sure TJ always used to say otherwise and talk about sureity or something like that.

thehustler
    Free Member

It depends on how your policy is written tbh some are ‘like for like’ some are ‘new for old’ and some will insure taking into account depreciation, the cost of each of these types of policy is different as the risk is different, no idea which the OP has, but I could give it a good guess (cheapest)

edlong
    Free Member

TJ always used to say

I remember those days….

#wistfulnostalgia

nealglover
    Free Member

Legal and general insurance sucks 
    Hope they go bust  scammers 
    Do not buy house insurance of  them 

So you didn’t read the policy properly then ?

Presumed something was covered when it wasn’t maybe ?

andyplasterer
    Free Member

No simply roof leak I was on holiday for a week and when I got home
    There was a roof tile missing next to the gutter which sent water through master bedrr and. The baby’s bedroom
    Sounds easy ring insurance job done
    But no the wind had to be 47 mph and 25mm of rain within one hour what a load of shit

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Turnerguy – If L&G can source the same TV for £100 less then they have to offer replacement of the original. If however your friend wanted a cash settlement then they arent obliged to pay more than they have to provided they can prove they can get the TV at the price they state.

all I can remember is him complaining – he obviously wanted a new TV and it would have been of the same type as the old one was a trinitron and there was no advantage in changing to a different set as it was a current model, or close to it, so having L&G source one would have been fine, but they weren’t going to.

MoreCashThanDash

There’s a difference between a storm (insured peril) and a lack of maintenence/wear and tear, I’m afraid.

Double check every weather report you can find around your area for any reported gusts that may qualify.

If you really feel you have a case, go through L&G’s complaints procedure and then the Insurance Ombudsman.

MCTD
    Associate Chartered Insurance Institute
    Chartered Insurer
    Property Claims Manager (Ret’d)

andyplasterer
    Free Member

Tried everything my house is 6 years old I’m in the building trade
    L&g insurance. Company is just a rip off I’ve never heard so much
    Bollocks just to get out of paying out I’ve been with l&g for 12 years never claimed never questioned when the premium shoots up year after year honest claim and just told to **** in a nice way and good to ya
    Any one claiming I say tell a pack off lies and screw them bas ds much as you can and smile all the way
    We should be able to take them to court but they cover there areses with the small print
    And I really think they all piss in the same pot
    So if there is any people reading this who works for l&g in hope your house floods or burns down lol

MoreCashThanDash

Let’s try again shall we…..

Your policy will cover you against certain specified perils, one of which will be storm. If there is no storm, based on an accepted crieria about strength of wind, then the policy cover will not be activated.

Now, if you have accidental damage cover on your policy, it is up to them to point out which of their exclusions will apply, so you might like to look into that.

Again, if you are not happy and think they are genuinely in the wrong, they will have a proper complaints procedure that will run right through to the Insurance Ombudsman, and you should be pursuing that.

You should not be making insulting remarks about their employees from the safety of your keyboard. Given the current climate here, the mods may want a word in your shell-like.

And it doesn’t make people warm to your cause.

totalshell

if the house is only 6 years old maintenace or lack of wasnt an issue .. HOWEVER that nice man at NHBC with whom you likely have a ten yr guerentee will sort you out.. just had our 9 yrs 9 month old redrow house re roofed and new windows courtesy of nhbc..

nealglover
    Free Member

So you thought you were covered for something, and you weren’t actually covered for it ?

(subsequent damage caused by badly fitted or damaged roof tiles ? )

It’s annoying for sure, but I’m not sure how the insurance company are at fault really.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Any wind turbines near you, they would know the wind speeds.

loum
    Free Member

I was just searching the forum for the general consensus on home insurance and came across this case. Hope things have begun to get sorted for you andy, it sounds like a bad situation with a bad insurance company. At least I know one company to avoid, so thanks for posting.
    IMO, it sounds like you were covered but they’re trying to cheat you out of settling on their responsibilities.
    I’ve seen a recent story somewhere on a very similar situation. I’ll try to dig it out and find it for you. If I recall correctly, the argument came down to whether local weather conditions, like your gust and rainfall measurements, could be proved to have occurred at that exact address.
    I’m pretty sure that the court ruled that it was an unreasonable term in the insurance conditions for the home-owner to have to attempt to prove that those exact weather conditions occurred in his exact location, in his street. It was an impossibility. It was ruled that were there was a reasonable likelihood that they had occurred, and the damage itself was sufficient proof, then the responsibility was with the insurance company to prove they had not happened if they wanted to refuse paying out. It doesn’t sound like a good thing to go through because it must be very difficult to take a large powerful company to court, but the home-owner won the case.
    Good luck and don’t lose hope.

LapSteel
    Free Member

looks like you’ll be needing a cheap plasterer….know any?

mike_p
    Free Member

But no the wind had to be 47 mph and 25mm of rain within one hour

Lots of basic no-frills policies have this type of clause, it’s how they keep the premiums down. It’s sharp practice IMHO. But anyway it sounds like it’s irrelevant to your claim as the damage was not caused by a storm but by a fault in the roof for which you were not responsible nor could you have reasonably been expected to forsee. There is no doubt that the policy should pay out if that is the case. L+G would then have the option of pursuing NHBC to recover their costs.

Alternatively NHBC is the way to go for the roof repair, but not sure that it’ll cover ensuing loss (although it may do).

Take photos, write to the ombudsman (use a spell-checker, eh?) and don’t give up!

njee20
    Free Member

Take photos, write to the ombudsman (use a spell-checker, eh?get a friend to write the letter) and don’t give up!

Don’t think a spellchecker will suffice.

Bollocks just to get out of paying out I’ve been with l&g for 12 years never claimed never questioned when the premium shoots up year after year honest claim and just told to **** in a nice way and good to ya

Then you’re a mug for not shopping around.

andyplasterer
    Free Member

L&g do not buy end of

althepal

It’s nothing to do with it being a basic policy, this is a standard thing with home insurance. At least it was with the group of companies I worked for 5 years ago.
    For the damage to be dealt with as storm damage there has to be storm conditions noted around the time of loss. If you were away for a week check the full week prior to discovery.. Insurers usually use data supplied by the met office but sometimes it’s not accurate. The nearest weather station might be at a local airport 20 miles away etc.. The comment about any wind turbines nearby is a good one and worth checking.. Also- see if there’s been any similar issues in your street- folk having to make similar claims, newspaper articles etc- that would help prove that there had been “storm” conditions in your area that week..?
    Was any part of the gutter damaged? You might (big might) be lucky and see if it can be dealt with as accidental damage or even possibly escape of water perhaps- depends on the policy wording?
    On what basis was your claim repudiated? Because there was no storm conditions present? Or because of wear and tear to the roof?? Did an assessor or loss adjuster come out to your property? If so did they actually climb a ladder and look at the roof and the area where the water came in? If so would be good to get details of their report.. If not, why not? You must be looking at a few grands worth of damage?
    Without knowing the full details, I’d at least contact L and G and tell them you’re making a formal complaint and you’d like it re-examined.. They have a duty to acknowledge this and follow their complaints process- that includes sending you a copy of it. Gather the info above, get a complaint in and see what happens. You have to go through the company’s complaint process before approaching the Ombudsman remember.
    Oh aye, and make sure the person who you’re dealing with is someone who knows what they’re talking about- not some 18 year old that’s never seen a roof up close..

labsey
    Free Member

What Althepal (and others have) said. ‘Ranted on a bike forum’ probably isn’t part of their official escalation procedure. I’m not going to come round and fix your roof. Escalate it as far as you can, keep copies of all correspondence and if required, take it to the Ombudsman.

Check your terms and conditions, make sure they’ve been fairly applied and if not, you should have case. Make sure you check with the Ombudsman’s terms of reference about what sort of cases they can take on. There will be restrictions.

Be restrained and concise. You’ll get much further cooperating and being reasonable with them than you will being a d1ck. Statements like “L&g do not buy end of” don’t help anyone. Least of all you. Remember, they might not have done anything wrong.

Good luck.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Legal and general insurance sucks. Do not buy’ is closed to new replies.