• This topic has 52 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Legal advice please – second hand car woes
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

11/10

Cracking result.

hora
    Free Member

Im guessing here but I bet he knew there was a problem when he sold the car to you and that was praying on his mind (NOT conscience) and he was worried just how much a Solicitor would cost him to in fees…

What are you after/looking for next?

40mpg

Just off to look at buying a 2nd hand car

< shudders >

swisstony
    Free Member

cheers, yeh well one of his main arguments was that it was a common fault on A6’s ( i’d since found this to be true)and the last 3 he’d sold plus another he had on the forecourt where exactly the same and no one else had complained, but i said if he’d made me aware of this it would of been another matter but as he hadn’t….

I don’t know i’ve spent all morning on autotrader and ebay but nothing stands out at the mo, it’s put me off audi’s a bit though.

My current shortlist is a BMW 525/530D tourer, a Volvo V70, Saab 93/95 or i’m trying to resist but i keep coming back to a Ford Mondeo!

hora
    Free Member

Out of the above (no offence to owners)- I’d go with a Beemer 5series. The Saab (I test drove a 93 saloon, a 93 estate-thingy and a 53 plate 95 estate)- they just felt vague/lower quality. Im thinking along the lines that you looked at Audi you see.

Buy from a trader again- but make sure they come with a 12month warranty- if a trader wont offer this (or they try and sell you an aftermarket one)- it says to me that they are two-bit operations or know something about the car they are selling and dont want a comeback..

Edit: (The above isnt supposed to read as condescending at all).

hora
    Free Member

You know….you wouldnt go too far wrong if you went for a Legacy or Outback estate.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Just read the other posts. Excellent result.

Can this just be used to highlight that not all Main dealers are conning shysters. Back St garages are just as bad, if not worse. At least with a main dealer you can complain to a customer services rep if a sales manager states “I would rather tell you to eff off!!” Thats shocking.

Oh and as said before, wherever you buy, make sure you get a major mechanical & Driveline warranty minimum. Hell you can buy them from RAC & AA

swisstony
    Free Member

The BMW is my prefered choice at the mo, there don’t seem to be many subaru’s around, there is a legacy which is local but it’s a petrol one.

I don’t think i’ve ever had more than a 3 month warranty on any of my cars, do dealers give 12 months on cars for this sort of money?

hora
    Free Member

Yes. The smaller they are the less so. You’d think they are doing that to save themselves hassle/money yet they still want ‘book’ value for the sodding cars! 12month warranty should be a min. IMO- any less then it says to me that they are a real shoe-string operation or they know something untoward/hidden about the car. In that case, why are you paying a premium over a private sale?!!
    You pay the premium over a private sale for peace of mind!?!

I like this one:
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/SUBARU+LEGACY/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-41-55-144-240-4294965183-4294966891/advert.action?R=200921334684851&distance=39&postcode=M32+0DQ&channel=CARS&make=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=60000&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=55

although only 30mpg combined 🙁

Although the 2.5 engine gets 34mpg combined
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/SUBARU+LEGACY/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-41-55-112-144-240-4294965183-4294966891/advert.action?R=200922335136709&distance=38&postcode=M32+0DQ&channel=CARS&make=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=60000&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=05

Mind you its not everyones cup of tea. I respect the Mondeo- why not a flashy estate 05/06 Ghia in dark grey or black?

swisstony
    Free Member

yeh i like them but i’d hold out for a diesel

i keep coming back to the mondeo’s, they tick all the boxes but i can’t help thinking that every time i looked out of the window i’d be dissapointed?

hora
    Free Member

Because you want a shiny fascia and kudos with your neighbours?

Bet Audi’s etc are circa £500 to service as well.

swisstony
    Free Member

It hasn’t got anything to do with neighbours or shiny things it’s just that they seem really dull. On the one hand i used to think if you can’t think further than a ford you must be a bit sad but now i’m coming round to the idea that they are a sensible option and paying a premium for a badge is sadder, all i really want is a good realiable family estate. Also it’s not going to be my car, it’s will be my wife’s car and will be used for lugging kids and bikes about, i drive an Alfa GTV when i’m not riding which is alot more fun.

The search continues but at the moment i’ve had enough of cars so i’m going to ride home, swap bikes and get out for a ‘proper’ ride.

hora
    Free Member

swisstony, Alfa GTV? What year/mileage? Bar the electrics- have you hand any mechanical probs? I know bushings etc go – but the main bits?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Legal advice please – second hand car woes’ is closed to new replies.