Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Legal access on otley chevin.
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

a quick one,does anyone know the legal riding access on otley chevin,or who owns the chevin.
    Bruce

StuE
    Free Member

Not much in the way of interesting legal riding,mainly wide fireroad type stuff.
    http://chevinforest.co.uk/explore/bikes-and-horses/
    http://chevinforest.co.uk/chevin-through-time/timelines/late-20th-century/

nealc
    Free Member

I assume its owned by Leeds Council.

Is this in relation to the ‘No Cycling on this side of the Chevin’ signs on the East Chevin side? Given that there is a byway on the East side I think these signs are misleading, and some may have disappeared in the past!

The over-managmemnt of chevin is one of my pet hates. The plethora of signs saying no cycling, walker welcome, disabled access etc is ridiculous. Not content with trying to cover the whole place in gravel theyve also started to tarmac up at suprise view.

Sancho
    Free Member

Basically ignore all the signs
    be polite and give way to everyone, hit the singletrack in the woods in between the fire roads, keep out of the way of the walkers, there are some old jumps down at the bottom end, and basically quote that Leeds city council tolerates cyclists access on footpaths as long as the riders give way and are courteous.

ive ridden there over 20 years and never had a problem

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Here is the recent history of who owns what and how it all came about
    http://chevinforest.co.uk/chevin-through-time/timelines/late-20th-century/

It’s all owned by Leeds city council by the look of things.

I’ve been ‘local’ for a few years and it all seems to be a highly mis-managed really. The general view is No Cycling on the Whitehouse side and stick to the bridal ways only on the otherside.

In practice I and almost all the riders I know and have seen ride all of it with care and so far without incident. I’ve never been challenged by ‘authority’ for riding what can be some really rather good little trails.

I believe the Friends of Chevin were approached by singletraction (or a similar group) to discuss maintained MTB trails on the chevin and basically told ‘You’ve got Stainburn for that’

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Doh, should have read StuEs post, Sorry for the double up.

Simon

What Sancho said, there’s some great trails up ont Chevin.

Wolfdog
    Free Member

There sure is some great riding on it, just keep out on the peak times (night is best) Singletraction lads (I’m one) often go up if we can’t be bothered going further afield. check out the rides section for times. Monday’s usually.
    Be careful of logs in the track or deliberate trail blocking, there’s been a bit recently. I just make sure I’m second man down!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Legal access on otley chevin.’ is closed to new replies.