Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Leg warmers or bib tights?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Well its getting cold now and I’m thinking of taking the plunge into the world of roadie clothing rather thn getting a pair of baggy trousers for riding in.. i normally just ride in a pair of slim fitting mtb baggy shorts and unless I’m doing a longer ride (not often) I’ll wear a padded undershort with these. So should i go for some long bib tights or will leg warmers be ok and have the advantage of being able to take them off if it gets too warm? Any suggestions for brands to go for?

grahamg
    Free Member

Leg warmers are great for putting on under bib shorts and baggies, but probably risk being a tad uncomfortable for longer outings – simply due to the extra seams. So… both! Bib tights for longer winter rides.

_tom_
    Free Member

I dont really do long rides by roadie standards – usually a 25-30 miler once a week then a 10ish miler before or after work on work days. I could see problems with leg warmers slipping down etc getting annoying though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

wiggle have some unpadded dhb bib tights for £17, haven’t used them yet but seem decent.

grahamg
    Free Member

They should not slip down – as long as they are worn UNDER lycra shorts (and they fit properly of course!). Just get some nice thermal warmers then.

deadkenny
    Free Member

MTFU and stick with the baggies 😀

Though I wear knee pads pretty much year round which keeps them warm and handles the odd few offs. Just leaves a bare bit of shin and I rarely feel the cold there.

Bib tights – just wrong. One step away from mankinis! 😛

_tom_
    Free Member

Road ride with knee pads… I’d rather not 😆 Graham i don’t wear lycra shorts other than the odd ride with a padded undershort so are normal leg warmers just gonna slip all the time?

Edric64
    Free Member

Real men wear lycra to start with ,and leg warmers dont fall down Aldi have some in next Thursday.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t care about what makes you a “real man”, i just want to be warmer on those cold evening rides 😛

Edric64
    Free Member

You will be fine with legwarmers I have never had them slip but I do wear mine pulled up under bibshorts

vondally
    Free Member

autumn knee warmers

winter bib tights/polartec powerstretch leggings

spring knee warmers

summer bib tights with waterproof shorts

aftershock
    Free Member

Bib tights, been using them lately as well, saves me from damage by the undergrowth.

Fed up of brambles and stingers ripping my legs to shreds.

Lifer
    Free Member

Bib tights have the advantage of kidney-warming goodness as well.

Kryton57

autumn knee warmers

winter bib tights/polartec powerstretch leggings

spring knee warmers

This. The general rule for me is 12 degrees or over = shorts, 5-12 degrees = knee warmers, <5 and its bib tights.

Knee warmers are one of the most underated products about IMO.

stufive
    Free Member

Get some three quarter lenghth padded lycra shorts or bib shorts and wear the baggies over the top…you can even get lined ones for when its really cold..leg warmers are fine when there tucked under lycra shorts etc otherwise they can move espeacialy on MTB when your jumping about etc and it is VERY frustraiting

pdw
    Free Member

I’d go for bib tights first, particularly if you don’t have bib shorts – the bibs are great for stopping the cold getting in around your waist. Leg warmers are a nice third option, but they’re a bit less comfortable, and most days I could happily survive with either tights or shorts instead.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ok I’ll probably go for the tights then (can’t believe I just typed that sentence 😆 ). Recommend some good ones for under £50!

DT78
    Free Member

Wiggle. Dhb.

aftershock
    Free Member

Decathlon do a good range and cheap.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Lusso max repel tights are pretty sturdy, but only good for the very cold days. You’ll stay warmer if you get rid of the baggies though.. Cold wet fabric flapping against you does nothing.

Haze

I love my knee warmers, very comfy and has to be pretty warm before I ditch them.

Too cold for knee warmers then it’s bib tights…

tonyd

CRC have a sale on at the moment, I just took delivery of some very nice looking Campag Ardennes winter bib tights. I think they’ll be toasty (not not too toasty). Expensive and over budget at £70 (half price!) but well worth it IMO.

Would second the above comments on how nice bib tights/shorts are – I recently bought my first pair of bib shorts and they’re lovely and comfy.

Scapegoat

SPEG bibshorts from cycleclothing dot co dot UK are not too shabby. I wear those, plus a pair of Aldi legwarmers (available from Thursday) . The stay up OK if you put them on under your bibshorts.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Leg and arm warmers for autumn and spring. Rouax bib tights, base layer and a good jacket for the winter.

bruk

Looking at some bib 3/4 for this time of year as tend to run warm but want to protect my knees. Looking at Endura ones, anybody got any other suggestions?

TiRed

Roubaix 3/4 under enduro Humvees see me out through the autumn, then I replace with some full length roubaix tights. My nice road winter wear is too good for the trails (and too warm).

cyclistm
    Free Member

bruk – the DHB ones are very good.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Here’s an idea.. Just buy some stuff. Wear some of it when the weather allows. Take the rest off and put it back on when it’s colder.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I got some Enduro thermolite bib tights last winter and can highly reccomend them. Kept me toasty on the coldest of highland night rides (as well as hipflask of malt)

benjbish

+1 for Endura Thermolite winter biblongs. Their 3/4 are brilliant for most conditions when the Thermolite’s are too much.

DaveRambo

I’ve got all sorts of leg attire – normal shorts, bib shorts, 3/4 bib shorts and leggings.

I find that I’ve tended to wear my DHB 3/4 bib shorts as the weather gets colder and it’s enough. Feels a bit chilly to start but you soon get warm.
    I do wear leggings over normal bib shorts as well but it’s often to make it easier to remove all the muddy stuff before I go inside the house and it’s often too warm unless it’s very cold.

When it’s approaching zero it’s bib shorts + leggings. I’m going to get some Roubaix bib shorts at some point.

If it’s chucking it down I sometimes wear some waterproof baggies to keep the water off.

saxabar
    Free Member

To echo the above – Wiggle > cheapo DHB tights are the way forward. 3/4s for autumn and full length for winter!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Leg warmers or bib tights?’ is closed to new replies.