Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Leg Strength
  • hainman
    Free Member

i have crohns disease and recently have been having a flare up,resulting in no cycling in about a month and a half.what little fitness i had has quickly left me.

so my question is what would be a good way to keep up my leg strength when house bound and not well enough to go out cycling or go to a gym…..

any tips or idea’s would be greatly appreciated

many thanks
    craig

crapknees
    Free Member

Try and do some work that involves the things around your home. One legged step ups on the stairs, one legged squats (maybe with some weight in a rucksack), lunges, calf raises (with your heels hanging over the edge of a step).

hainman
    Free Member

thanks crapknees……will try those out

BoardinBob

ass to floor squats
    tuck jumps
    squat jumps
    jailhouse squats
    burpees

repeat until you’re a heap on the floor

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Pliometrics. A quick Google will find you a video session.

The P90X version takes about an hour, and you will feel it the day after.

wwaswas

are you ok to sit on a bike? a turbo and a slick tyre at the back might be ok?

hainman
    Free Member

wwaswas im ok on the bike just if havin a flare i need the loo a lot but if in house shouldn’t be a problem,just a lot of money for a turbo trainer

wwaswas

It’s difficult to quantify ‘a lot’ for other people but they come up on here for £60-£80 fairly regularly.

It’s a good way of getting aerobic exercise indoors rather than just doing strength work.

hainman
    Free Member

thanks i’ll keep my eyes peeled for one

stumpy01

I think I saw a CRC ad the other day for a Tacx turbo trainer reduced to £80 or keep your eyes peeled for bargains on eBay.

I was given a series of leg exercises to do a while back by a physio…

– lay on back with knees bent & push hips off floor. Keep a straight line with body & thighs, then lift one foot off the floor to straighten your leg. Keep back/hip/thighs aligned. Hold for 10 & swap legs. Do pyramid of 10secs down to 1 & back to 10.
    – Lay on floor with feet raised off floor on a chair/foot stool and keep straight line between shoulders & feet (hips off floor). Lift one leg off, similar to above exercise & do same pyramid set.
    – stand side on, on bottom step of stairs with one leg overhanging. Keep toes of overhanging foot raised to stop you bouncing off your toes & do one legged squat so heel touches floor. Try to keep as straight as possible.100 reps each side.
    – same squats as above but facing stairs, not side on & do one legged squat so hanging leg comes backwards off step. Same reps.
    – take 1 shoe off , so that foot is off the floor. Swing leg backwards & forwards in a smooth, deliberate action. Keep body still & hips level.100 reps each side. Will probably get to 70 or so before it starts burning the outside of your hips. Apparently good for hip flexors.

I was told to do all reps required. If you can’t hold form, have 2 mins rest & carry on.
    2 mins rest between exercises too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Leg Strength’ is closed to new replies.