Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Leg Shaving Roadies?
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ok I’m toying with the idea of shaving my legs now they are nicely tanned and tonned, however I would feel a bit of a fraud as I don’t race. I will join my clubs chain gang if only to sit on.

Any other wannabe or social roadies shave their legs. Come on don’t be shy. 😀

lunge

I went through a phase of doing it but stopped when I realised Mrs Lung was a tad unkeen on it. In honesty, I quite liked it, but I am a bit odd like that.

PJ266
    Free Member

I’m tempted, don’t race, just curious.

Is it worth dreaming up some kind of charity thing as an excuse ? :p

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve considered it but the wife has made it clear she’s not keen. However, I’d wager it would take her 6 months to notice.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i did it, they are growing back rapidly, its a constant maintenance issue more than anything!

It’s more hygenic, to get muck and dirt off you, or if you get a cut and it looks good in lycra

jeffm
    Free Member

I trim so it doesn’t hurt when I massage my calves. I get sore calves so need pretty regular massage maintenance. Cant bring myself to fully shave them.
    Most of the guys I ride with (racers or not) shave their legs.

JEngledow
    Free Member

It’s not my thing so I don’t do it, but if you want to shave your legs just do it and don’t fanny about making up excuses or trying to justify it! Life is too short to give a toss about other peoples opinions (with the exception of other half etc)?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I used to but couldn’t be arsed with the upkeep. I trim with clippers every now and again.

njee20
    Free Member

if you want to shave your legs just do it and don’t fanny about making up excuses or trying to justify it!

+1

I always used to do it, looked better, good talking point, felt nice! Ms njee20 hated it though, so I stopped 🙁

terrahawk
    Free Member

I do it to avoid painful dried mud “leg clinkers” in long races. Wet mud on hairy legs, mud dries in a clump on each hair, rest of race clumps tug on hairs. Annoying and sometimes painful.

gdj001
    Free Member

Out of interest, if you do shave, where do you “stop” or do you do the whole leg?!

JEngledow
    Free Member

if you do shave, where do you “stop”

Just below the nose? 😯

zippykona

On holiday there was a bloke with shaved arm pits.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve tried it, MrsMC didn’t like it, and maintenance was a constant job.

I did like the feeling. It also made women want to stroke my legs, which I suspect is the real reason roadies do it.

I once worked in a gym with an Aussie who raced mtb. In the gym, you could tell he shaved his legs, as they were smooth while he had clumps of body hair sticking out the neck of his shirt, like a gorilla.

One day I was in the changing room when he walked out the shower. He only shaved up to the hem of his shorts. I am still scarred by the experience.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I remember my first road race. I found myself doing my stint at the front when I heard a shout from behind ‘Leave old hairy legs at the front’ And there I sat, with no willingness from the group to help, until I was totally done for.

That night I went home and shaved my legs.

Conclusion: to be accepted as a racer you need to shave you legs.

Drac

dazh

I once suggested to Mrs Daz that I might shave my legs and she said she’d take the piss out of me forever and tell all my mates so I bottled it. Terrahawk’s right though, I can see a real practical benefit in it for MTBers in being able to clean all the mud and crap off your legs easily once it has dried.

zippykona

Hairy legs must offer some nettle protection but come the mud my legs resemble a hairy sheeps arse.

grilla
    Free Member

There seems to be a pattern here of female disapproval (mine was the same). Why should we let them oppress us, brothers !

radoggair
    Free Member

i shave, from neck downwards. Upkeep aint too bad, chest one day, feet to lycra short line another day, above short line and crotch area etc another day. Maybe 3-4 minutes per day upkeep so not too bad. You look alot better on lycra when shaved, it has its benefits of course and it feels better as well. Prepare for itchyness levels never felt before though the first times doing it 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shave or Veet them? There’s a difference 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shaved mine for a while now. I like but the girlfriend doesn’t but that’s tuff as as she refuses to shave her top lip.

mooman
    Free Member

Aside from racing cx. Done only a couple crits this year – so def not consider myself a racer.

I not shave legs. Do use epilator on them though..
    Wife doesn’t approve.

mudshark
    Free Member

Wife thought I might be hiding something about my sexuality when I started using an epilator but she doesn’t care now. Hairy legs in lycra isn’t a good look.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there anything stw will not ask about rather than JFDI?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What I want to know is where do all the roadies get their tanned legs from?? And so early in the season??

Do they spray tan or sunbed???

unklehomered
    Free Member

On holiday there was a bloke with shaved arm pits.

I do, but mostly so I can have riding jerseys that don’t have to be burned after a month. I’m a sweaty chap.

garage-dweller

Since their shaved legs are so hygienic they believe they do not need to wash. The brown colour is actually road dirt and effluent that has stuck to their perfectly prepared surfaces.

Haze

What I want to know is where do all the roadies get their tanned legs from?? And so early in the season??

Mallorca

garage-dweller

On a more helpful note (maybe) shave/wax /sugar/epilate/pluck what you want from your toes to the top of your head so long as it doesn’t upset your partner. Merciless **** taking you should man up and tolerate. After all its unlikely to be the first time for people on here that someone’s thought their fashion, clothing or choice of hobby or hairstyle is slightly odd.

stevious

I do it because I think hairy legs look silly in lycra. Wife doesn’t like it but she’ll get used to it.

Try it. Worst case scenario is that you don’t like it and you’ll have to wait a couple of weeks for hairy legs again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I first shaved my legs in 2008 for a long distance multi day event, thinking it would be more practical, for massage etc.
    To be honest I just preferred it. It’s cooler, mud falls off easier and I think it looks good and my legs tan better! I’ve kept them smooth ever since and I won’t be going back anytime soon. That said, I’m a very unhairy bloke anyway, it’s all blonde and very fine, so I don’t look like I’m wearing hair shorts when nekkid..! That could be a mistake I think! 🙂

Haze

Think my girlfriend is beginning to accept it slowly, I think it threw her a little at first with me having smoother legs.

booktownman
    Free Member

This is so darkside I can’t see my hand in front of my face.

aracer
    Free Member

Beard and smooth chest (etc. 😯 )? Is that a good look?

jag61

If I were bothered I might but upkeep would be a pain ,however having reached a certain age, My legs have that half shaved look anyway From shin to back of calf going outwards nice and smooth shin inwards gorilla.It must improve the airflow! 😯

TiRed

Wax first time, then an epilator. Yes i race, but found it better for mud clearing duties too. Pasty white legs and blonde hairs mean they dont show and i only suffer every two weeks.

Suitcase full or courage IS required!

mooman
    Free Member

zippykona

All I’ve ever wanted is a cyclists suntan.
    I wear shorts 7 months of the year , so you would expect a bit of difference between my covered bits and those that are not.
    Just back from 2 weeks in the caribbean and still deathly white all over.

MoreCashThanDash

This is so darkside I can’t see my hand in front of my face.

Now there is a phrase to savour and roll out at every opportunity from now on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Leg Shaving Roadies?’ is closed to new replies.