• This topic has 28 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kfish.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Leg Cramps
  • bricktamland86
    Free Member

Does anyone else suffer from leg cramps when riding? Always seem to get it in my hamstrings (when peddling uphill) and thigh muscles (when standing going downhill) ive tried all these anti cramp pills and they dont seem to work, im no tri-athlete but have a decent level of fitness, i can run for miles and have no issues but on a long bike ride get terrible cramps. Any tips? or anyone else have this?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do you run more than you ride? To me it just sounds like you muscles are not used to riding long distances and you are cramping when they get knackered.

Same happens to me when I up distances, the 1st few ridea I am on the verge of cramp towards then end, but after my legs get conditioned to the distance then Im ok.

TheSanityAssassin

Is your saddle the right height?
    I suffer really badly with cramps (was woken at 3.00am last night with my inner thigh cramping badly) both during and after rides. My daily hydration is pretty poor though and if I forget to drink adequately then I will cramp regardless. However, since I discovered nuun tablets, then I can stave off cramp within a very short time both riding and afterwards. They really are a miracle cure for me personally and there’s no way I could ride the distances and speeds that I do without them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bricktamland86 – Member

Does anyone else suffer from leg cramps when riding?

almost always after riding – even easy rides. I can’t remember the last time i cramped during a ride, but if i ride more than about 30k i can guarantee an episode, about an hour after i stop, that’ll nail me with little provocation.

where? inner thighs.

pain? 11/10 – i had to stop my wife phoning an ambulance last week, she thought i was having a fit.

i’m even considering giving up riding long rides, i never get cramps after running, even silly-hard fell races that leave me a shattered broken mess for weeks.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I suffer calf or thigh cramps during and/or after a biggish ride. As above, if I use Nuun tablets it seems to stave it off for me. Ultimately I guess the reason is what funkydunc says, I’m not a regular rider and hardly at all in the winter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I get it in my feet when swimming, or worse, just as I’m getting out. High5 zero tablets help a lot but haven’t cured it.

cnud
    Free Member

Isn’t the latest thinking “altered neuromuscular control” Google is your friend there. I used to suffer terribly after about 17miles climbing in the Peak or after about 2-3 hrs in the low hills. I too tried everything, electrolytes, cramp supplements, bananas, quinine, etc. Strength training and training at an intensity level harder than the target rides seems to have sorted me out. Almost to prove that theory for me, I did a off road 37 miler yesterday (way further than my norm and about 3 1/2 hrs) and was beginning to get those tell tale twinges.

Clover

Started pushing myself a bit and get cramps. Gels, drinks and easing up slightly work for me.

bricktamland86
    Free Member

As far as i know my saddle is right height, i do go to gym so might include some more leg weights to strengthen muscles, i rarely get them after riding, mainly during. I dont drink much water through day so may up my water intake throughout the whole day.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I tend to get cramp only when very very dehydrated. Are you drinking enough water?

bricktamland86
    Free Member

I do drink a lot when riding, my camel back is only 1.5l and usually finish that in like 3 hours so could look at getting larger bladder!

nickc

you’re riding at a level your muscles can’t sustain. Ease back, or get fitter.

bricktamland86
    Free Member

Sound advice nickc, will take that on board!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m completely convinced that cramps occur when you push muscles way beyond where you usually push them to. First race of the season I always cramp, after that am usually ok.
    To avoid cramps sign up to a training session, race your mates, enter an actual race. Get the initial twinges over with then enjoy a summer of high intensity, low consequence riding.

brodie
    Free Member

I’ve been through hell with cramp too. Nickc has a good point, for me it was recognising my limits, my mind is capable of pushing my body well past its capabilities! I’ve learnt to let my fitness set my pace rather than my head.

I also found decent sports drinks and tonic water seem to help.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I always cramp an hour or two after riding (usually lying on the bed!).Rarely during a ride.Raced a 3 hour, very frantic 2nd Cat road race on sunday.No post ride cramp.Went for a 2 hour mooch on the mtb last night.Horrific sweary cramp from hell.
    Might try Nuun.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nickc – Member

you’re riding at a level your muscles can’t sustain. Ease back, or get fitter.

i cannot accept that a steady 20 mile pootle with my wife is ‘riding at a level my muscles can’t sustain’.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😆

bricktamland86
    Free Member

What separates nuun from other supplements??

TheSanityAssassin

Basically, nuun works. That’s what.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I used to suffer really badly nice I hit the three hour mark.

I’ve since made sure that I drink much more between, during and after rides and it seems to be helping. I can’t bare electrolyte drinks because they make me want to gag. I can’t stand the metallic that’d which I believe is magnesium.

Getting a bit fitter has helped too.

bricktamland86
    Free Member

Might try the nuuns along with leg weights and fitness, should hopefully help, you guys continually supply great info, much appreciated

paganman
    Free Member

I was told tonic water helps to stop cramps, can’t remember who by, but a large G&T after a ride helps stop my cramps. 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What separates nuun from other supplements??

I’ve also used High5 Zero tabs in water mentioned above with the same positive results as Nuun (I just prefer Nuun for some reason). I think either might help, but only to an extent, I still believe what most have said, conditioning your muscles over time to the workload with hydration before, during and after.

bricktamland86
    Free Member

Do you guys use nuun before, after, during or all 3?

user-removed
    Free Member

Might try these nuun things – I have the same issues. I can usually make a reasonable recovery with bananas and lucozade but there are still occasions when I’m left crying at the side of the trail. Always attributed it to dehydration, too much beer and not enough bike time…

IanW
    Free Member

Niickc has it for me , once you’ve ticked all the usual boxes it’s just a case of easing back for a few minutes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0QyZmLluF0

IanW
    Free Member

Niickc has it for me , once you’ve ticked all the usual boxes it’s just a case of easing back for a few minutes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0QyZmLluF0

kfish
    Free Member

I too cramp like death, following early season rides when I begin to up the mileage and intensity. I found that careful warm-up to begin, even more careful warm down to finish a ride, followed by SIS Rego rehydration drink have been effective 90% of the time. Seriously though, some of my post ride cramps have me blacking out and collapsing often with injury associated with just hitting the floor on the way down…not fun, just ask my wife. Also, try a warming muscle rub, like tiger balm, post exercise..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Leg Cramps’ is closed to new replies.