Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lefty servicing expectations
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

When it comes to suspension forks I generally take the fit and forget approach, other than an occasional wipe down. Clean seals, lube and adjust air I do t do anything else to them. it’s worked well for rebas and X fusion velvets.

I’m sure there is some drop off In performance but not enough for me to notice.

If I take this approach to a lefty will I or rather it die a horrible death, will it drastically reduce the live of the fork?

Thanks

RobHilton
    Free Member

Bearing resets regularly if its an older model; otherwise very little to do.

amedias
    Free Member

Brand new or older model?

If new then just keep the seal area clean and as long as nothing breaks it shouldn’t need much attention.

If it’s an older model with concertina boot then jsut lift it occasionally to inspect and stick a bit of grease on there if needed, and periodically check the air filter foam. Occasional bearing resets are a 5 min job on most of the models, newer do it automagically. Make sure you get the boot replaced if there are ANY splits in it.

Longest period I’ve been between services with one is ~4 years, and even then it just ended up getting a precautionary oil change.

Have had a couple of minor hiccups with older models, sticky SPV valve etc. but nothing more than any other kind of fork and they are exceptions rather than the rule.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Damn it, I was hoping you’d say it needs constant attention. It’s a 2013 model.

If the end does come, can they be changed to a standard fork fairly easy?

amedias
    Free Member

yeah dead easy, fit new headset and plug in new fork and bolt on a new stem and wheel, job jobbed.

you not getting on with it then?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Not at all, just trying to talk myself out of a potential bike purchase. You lot arent helping.

I always fancied a lefty but thought they might be hard to live with.

amedias
    Free Member

What are you not liking?

the up-and-downy ness of them isn’t any less tunable than a normal fork so if it’s in that regards then some tweaking might get you sorted, but if you simply cant get on with the one-sided-ness or getting annoyed by the wheel removal then there’s no harm in changing it if you really don’t like it.

What model is it? they hold their value pretty well

EDIT – just realised I might have misunderstood your post! Is it that you’re looking at getting a bike with Lefty on and are trying to talk yourself out of it? Can’t help there sorry! do it do it do it do it!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Yeah your edit is spot on. Thanks

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Have an F29 with Lefty and is just magic. Others have tried the bike and cannot believe how it tracks and its plushness. It does take a few hundred miles to bed in and smooth out but it is fantastic. Do it….

parkesie
    Free Member

Got 2 love them had 1 before for 5 years didn’t touch it just rode my bike and enjoyed it. Really missed it and after rebas and minutes for a few years it was back to the lefty. And then another 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Had one for 2 years all year round riding and pretty well used and abused. Pretty trouble free, regular bearing resets (5 min job every few rides or so) and apply grease to bearings once a year. No problems at all during that time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lefty servicing expectations’ is closed to new replies.