Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lefty onto 29er scandal
  • geman
    Free Member

anyone got the run down on which leftys can be used(any after travel reduction?)
    whats needed besides fork on a v2 29er scandal
    and how to do it ?
    thanks

letmetalktomark

The primary measurement needs to be the distance between the headset cups (crown race and top cap etc) must not exceed 137mm. As the Lefty clamps (certainly the more recent ones) are a fixed distance apart this measurement is crucial*

You’ll need a Lefty 4 All steerer. These can be tapered or straight – its the same steerer with a adapter for a 1.5” crown race.

If your frame can accept an integrated lower headset cup you can “cheat” a little extra back on the 137mm measurement as you don’t have to take into account the depth of a lower cup.

This is what I did for my Skookum:

I went with a PBR90 fork. Love it. I did need to use a negative rise stem though – 10 degrees.

* You can get the lefty in an XL which has the clamps further apart but these are less common

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cannondale-lefty-on-to-cotic-simple-frame

Some more info here. I’ve put loads of Lefty’s in different frames. As about the gap between the clamps is crucial. But there are different Lefty clamp sizes on the old ones. The is the XL clamp too.

cyclebiker

Hi, you will need a tapered lefty4all , it is not possible to use a straight lefty4alll and a reducer as you are not able to put the reducer in. I know this as I had a lefty on my 29er inbred, just building a new scandal v2 29er and I cannot put the left on it 🙁

I have a 110 speed max lefty that I have converted to use with a 29er (two spacers so I now have 90mm travel) so it will fit.

everyone
    Free Member

Leftys on skinny tubed bikes looks so wrong it’s right. I want one.

letmetalktomark

cyclebiker – Member

Hi, you will need a tapered lefty4all , it is not possible to use a straight lefty4alll and a reducer as you are not able to put the reducer in. I know this as I had a lefty on my 29er inbred, just building a new scandal v2 29er and I cannot put the left on it

You are.

The new Lefty 4 All kit can be used for both 1 1’8” HT, tapred and 44mm as the steerer has split ring pre crown race to accept a 1.5” crown race.

Its std 1 1/8” without.

I could run my Lefty on my V2 Scandal using a Hope headset

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love the Lefty on my Love/Hate, but as it’s 12yrs old, it’s on it’s way out…
    Looking for a new one, but can’t justify the £800 price tag..

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Want one on my Charge Cooker now, time to start shopping!!! Letmetalktomark is that thetford?

DanW
    Free Member

I have a Lefty XLR carbon and Hi-Mod Scalpel for sale if anyone feels the urge 😀 Also have OPI stem/ steerer and the Lefty for all kit so the Lefty will fit any frame. 1270g of smooth gliding goodness 😀

The new Lefty 4 All kit can be used for both 1 1’8” HT, tapred and 44mm as the steerer has split ring pre crown race to accept a 1.5” crown race.

Its std 1 1/8” without.

This is the Lefty for all kit I used on my Scandal with Hope headset too. Very easy to fit a Lefty to either a straight or tapered headtube so long as the headtube isn’t crazy long. The Medium Scandal is an almost perfect fit with only a mm or two of spacers required

letmetalktomark

@ruggerbugger tis indeed 🙂

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have mine on a salsa at the min with a std carbon 1″1/8th steerer on a tapered frame have leftys on all sorts of frames.

cyclebiker

Ah…I do not have the reducer bits for the steerer, I have been trying to use a standard hope headset reducer and was not able to fit it on. I’ll have to get the KH106 kit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lefty onto 29er scandal’ is closed to new replies.