Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Lefty Forks – Worth The Money?
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

Also, removing wheels? Only a faff if trailside.

But on a lefty you don’t have to take the wheel off to fix a puncture so it’s a bit of a moot point.

retro83
    Free Member

Is it true that the new ones don’t have the roller bearing any more, just some kind of bushing?

stoffel
    Free Member

Please tell me you don’t work in a bike shop ?

No; I work in a bike workshop, servicing, repairing and renovating bikes. Everything from old Sturmey Archer hubs to Di2. Your point? 😕

No one uses a ‘cycle computer’ these days, literally no one!

‘Literally’? Are oyu sure oyu know what that word actualy means? 😆

I probably see/work on more bikes than you do. Loads of people use cycle computers. Hardly anyone I know, bar one or two ‘fanatics’, bithers faffing around with GPs, smart phones etc. However, I won’t be so stupid as to say ‘literally no-one uses them’. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Also, removing wheels? Only a faff if trailside.

Well no, it’s a faff wherever you do it, a lot of people take wheels off to transport/store bikes, so it’s a consideration. Didn’t say it was a show stopper, but it’s relevant.

Your point?

You come across as a bit of a clueless, hamfisted oaf.

‘Literally’? Are oyu sure oyu know what that word actualy means?

Yep, it was tongue in cheek, I think one person somewhere in Cumbria still has one, and you. But close. Obviously I was talking about the sort of people who buy £1000 forks, rather than your average chipper using a “bike workshop”, by that token we could say that resin pedals and rusty chains are extremely de rigeur among cyclists…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    Is it true that the new ones don’t have the roller bearing any more, just some kind of bushing?

No. That’s not true.

And really? Loosening two Allen bolts and undoing one is a faff? MTFU

stoffel
    Free Member

You come across as a bit of a clueless, hamfisted oaf.

All this rudeness, all because i happen to have a differing point of view to yours. Why the hostility? Oh, and what do you do for a living? How old are you, and what experience do you have with cycle mechanics?

Why are you so quick to want to judge someone you don’t know, and haven’t a clue about their experience/skil? You, who were so sensitive and upset over a bit of gentle banter about your (questionable, in my opinion) taste in cycle footwear. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I made a snap judgement based on what you’ve said on here – and I maintain that few people buying £1000 forks would be concerned that fitting a cycle computer is marginally harder than a normal fork. That you think they’re ubiqutious, and that you’d recommend a fork like a Reba for reasons of questionable merit, including that you can service them without need for proprietary tools tells me enough. I’m a wonderfully judgemental person you see! You could be the best mechanic in the world, but you just come across as being a little out of date, and I’m not encouraged that you’re tasked with bicycle repair.

Be assured there’s no ‘upset’ or senstitivity on my part, and no rudeness, just ‘banter’ 🙄 To answer your question… I’m younger than you, and have 15 years intermittant experience working in the LBS.

Anywho, I’m derailing the thread, my apologies.

And really? Loosening two Allen bolts and undoing one is a faff? MTFU

It is… I didn’t say it’s difficult, or hugely time consuming, or anything similar, but it’s a procedure that you don’t need to do with a normal fork. It’s just something to be aware of if you’re taking wheels on and off. Not quite sure why that’s a sticking point 😕

ratherbeintobago

I maintain that few people buying £1000 forks would be concerned that fitting a cycle computer is marginally harder than a normal fork

+1.

c_klein87

ive had two lefty’s and they’ve both broken and the stanchions have worn out, i never ride the bike its on, instead riding my 2k chinese 29er, i need to get rid of it

retro83
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member

No. That’s not true.

Ah yeah, just googled it, they’ve apparently changed just the bottom bushing for a round one.

Cannondale 2013: New Lefty Fork

DanW
    Free Member

ive had two lefty’s and they’ve both broken and the stanchions have worn out, i never ride the bike its on, instead riding my 2k chinese 29er, i need to get rid of it

You also ride more in a weekend than most of us do in a month 😀 The service intervals in terms of days for a regrease (or top out to reseat bearings) must be painfully short! Not that this necessarily excuses the stanchion wear compared to other forks of course

jimification
    Free Member

Chris: when you say the stanchions wore out, is that on the newer “hybrid” design? (So I guess they wore where the lower legs slide through the bushing?) What broke on them?

Removing the front wheel with an Allen key really is no hassle at all but admittedly friends etc usually think it would be.

Love the “cycle computer” stuff, very “rough stuff fellowship“. 😀

stoffel
    Free Member

I made a snap judgement

..based on **** all knowledge of anything. How surprising. 🙄

I’m a wonderfully judgemental person you see!

I gathered that. 🙄

Don’t get hung up on the computer thing. You’re wrong, bbut then you’re probably a saturday boy in some fancy shop in Surrey that sells overpried bling to folk with more money than sense. 😉

you just come across as being a little out of date, and I’m not encouraged that you’re tasked with bicycle repair.

Rest assured you don’t need to bring your bike in to me. Its’ probably far too new fangeld for me to comrehend! 😆 I’ll just stick to sorting out stuff that the vast majority of London cyclists use.; a veritable corniucopia of cycling paraphernalia, spanning many decades of history. Never mind; one day they might let you progress to ficing punctures. 😉

Anyway…

Lefty’s are good, yet relatively expensive, not so easy to service, and don’t, in my opinion, represent as good value for money as other brnds. They do look mad, and will turn heads. And if you’ve spent over £1000 on a fork for a bicycle, you might believe they mke oyu a better rider.* 😀

*You still won’t be able to mount a normal bike computer witohut spending an extra £15 though…

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I had one… Never again. Hated it
    Think it was a 2010. Was about as stiff as a 90 year old and as plush as a pube. The later ones post 2012 are meant to be good though. They look a bit…. Well…. Strange too.

Mine was the one with the rubber boot though which was never going to be pretty.

njee20
    Free Member

as stiff as a 90 year old and as plush as a pube

Eh? I’d expect a 90 year old to be very stiff? How plush are pubes?

DanW
    Free Member

Don’t threads go downhill quickly when the OP doesn’t get involved after the first post?!

njee20
    Free Member

I fear I had a significant hand in the degredation of this one too, sorry about that! 😳

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m starting to learn about posting here..

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Don’t threads go downhill quickly when the OP doesn’t get involved after the first post?!

I’ve been reading the posts but I’m still none the wiser, from what I can gather they’re either great or terrible and either worth the price or a waste of money 😆

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I probably see/work on more bikes than you do. Loads of people use cycle computers. Hardly anyone I know, bar one or two ‘fanatics’, bithers faffing around with GPs, smart phones etc

nah

nickc

I fear I had a significant hand in the degredation of this one too

not for the first time, don’t it stop you though 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I won’t! 😀

I like to think I’m more helpful than argumentive! Poor tolerance of muppets, forgive me!

stoffel
    Free Member

Poor tolerance of muppets

You must find t a struggle to live with yourself.

Garry_Lager

notmyrealname – Member

I’ve been reading the posts but I’m still none the wiser, from what I can gather they’re either great or terrible and either worth the price or a waste of money It’s clear that they’re great – this is not in question. For someone looking at the top end of xc forks, as it sounds like you are, then it’s just whether you want to push the cost out a bit more.
    For someone who can’t see the performance benefits of a lefty over a reba, then it would be a terrible mistake to buy one. This is also clear.

Been mentioned already, but the servicing costs need to be considered a bit differently to other forks. A lefty is a complex machine, relatively speaking, but it can be kept in tip-top condition forever. OTOH, don’t bank on servicing it yourself unless you’re a fettler of distinction. The info and tools are all out there, but it’s an order of magnitude beyond a regular fork service.

monkeyp

And as for cost, check this out:

Lefty

For the same price as a fork and wheel, you get a whole bike that you could sell!

My servicing cost on my last Lefty was £180 over 6 or 7 years. I don’t think that is too bad, and it had a real hammering.

slackman99
    Free Member

Stoffel was your lefty on a 26er or 29er?

LLOYDSTEVENS
    Free Member

Back on track………

Pros: 1. Very light weight, 2. Very low unsprung weight making them very responsive, 3. Very easy to reach and use the lock out, 4. Stiff as a mother, 5. No faffing to remove a wheel to change a puncture on cold wet winters morning./Fast puncture change in races, 6. The most mud clearance on any fork, 7. Look cool!!

Cons: 1. Perceived as being expensive but what Carbon fork is cheap? 2. 5mm allen key wheel removal, not as quick as a quick release when putting in the back of the car, 3. One or two “Cannondale” specific tools needed for a service others are standard tools.

njee20
    Free Member

And as for cost, check this out:

Lefty

For the same price as a fork and wheel, you get a whole bike that you could sell!

Whilst that is a great deal, that’s not the lightest Lefty – more akin to the SID in weight, and if you wanted to transfer parts onto another frame you’re still left needing a 3rd party Lefty steerer kit.

But yes, for an £1100 hardtail that Flash is stonking!

stoffel
    Free Member

Stoffel was your lefty on a 26er or 29er?

26er. I might ressurect it if I can be bothered, then flog it to someone on here,seeing as how many fanbois there are. 😆

Been mentioned already, but the servicing costs need to be considered a bit differently to other forks. A lefty is a complex machine, relatively speaking, but it can be kept in tip-top condition forever. OTOH, don’t bank on servicing it yourself unless you’re a fettler of distinction. The info and tools are all out there, but it’s an order of magnitude beyond a regular fork service.

Bikes are relatively simple, easily maintained vehicles, that’s the whole **** apeal. complicating thingsunnecessarily defeats the object. If Cannondale actually designed the Lefty to be more user-serviceable, and more tuneable, lke Rockshox have done, and bring the price down, then they’d have a truly killer fork. But as long as some people are prepared to fork out (!) for a ‘premium’ prouct, such excessive marketing will continue to flourish.

slackman99
    Free Member

That was the purpose of the question. Had it been 110 travel for a 29er is probably have been after it myself 🙂

jimification
    Free Member

Garry_Lager:

it’s an order of magnitude beyond a regular fork service

Is that based on your own experience? On which models?

I’m only familiar with the 29er PBR but that model, at least, seems pretty similar to conventional suspension forks to me – You take the top off and there’s a damper and a spring in there. (both fairly simple to dismantle and reassemble with an oil change) What’s so different / difficult about it compared to other forks?

The only aspect I can see being a bit tricky is dealing with the bearing strips. I’ve not taken mine apart yet (because they work fine and have no play after 3 years) but that job doesn’t look particularly more difficult than the equivalent replacing of bushings on a conventional fork…

Have I got the easy one and the other lefty models are much more difficult to work on?

Garry_Lager

I’ve owned a few leftys but not in the last couple of years – so dlr2s from a while back, so could well be out of date. Even if the rebuild is still a complex job, it must be far easier now in terms of the availability of information and parts.
    I recall it being a real production, had to use mtbr.com a lot just to know what to do, and even then I’d say it was in a different league to any other bike job I’ve attempted.
    But as you say, things may well have improved – the lefty is going on 15 years old now so you’d expect it to get better in this area.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Lefty Forks – Worth The Money?’ is closed to new replies.