Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lefty fork – can you service them at home?
  • strike
    Free Member

Or do you need speacial tools?

glenh
    Free Member

You sort of need special tools, depending on the variety of lefty, although I always managed to service my 2 leftys at home without a problem.

Garry_Lager

You can do minor preventative maintenance at home v easily – stuff like bearing resets, air filter clean, grease the internals etc. This will keep it ticking over no problem.
    There are instructions on line for a full on dissasembly and oil change which seem fairly involved and do require a special ‘castle’ tool. Never been arsed to do this myself, but would probably be fine if you have a fettling frame of mind.

lovewookie

If you have the castle tool it’s easy to service the cartridge, all you need is a park pin spanner and some fresh oil.If you do though, be careful not to knock the race retainer clip off the slider. It’s fairly easily done and can be a PITA to pop back on properly.

strike
    Free Member

A mate has asked me to service his Lefty’s (seeing as I like fork fettling and he doesn’t!) – however, I have no previous experience with the Lefty at all. Am I just getting involved with a load of hassle….? Plenty of experience servicing various Fox and RS forks and shocks, but the Lefty is quite a differant beast!

glenh
    Free Member

I used a park tools flat ended pin spanner in place of a ‘castle tool’:

http://www.parktool.com/product/pin-spanner-yellow-spa-4

Works for the old dlr2 cartridge, not sure about other versions.
    Don’t think the lefty max needs a castle tool if irc.

lovewookie

Ahh, does that get into the cartridge? I have an old ELO so have the big 2 piece castle tool for that. Works for headshoks too.

Don’t recall having to use a castle tool for the coil sprung lefty’s. The dampers were in the base of the leg. (although my knowledge of that is limited to the 140 FFD)

disco_stu
    Free Member

Theres lots of info on servicing Lefty’s on the Cannondale MTBR forum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lefty fork – can you service them at home?’ is closed to new replies.