Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Lefty Adapter for Cotic Soul frame…
  • Stealthbike
    Free Member

I have Finally for round to purchasing my new Cotic Soul frame. I’m switch my old Cannondale F800 frame for the new Cotic – all should be fine, only issue is getting the lefty to fit.

The Cotic soul has a 34/44 tapered head tube, so I’m going to need some sort of adapter. My Lefty is the old ‘clamp on’ sty;e with a 135 gap between the brackets.

Most solutions seem to point to the Project 321 Lefty Clamp on adapter – http://www.project321.com/products_bike-lefty-adapter-clamp.php

The guys at Project 321 said this would do the job, but that I would also need to use with a crown race conversion, whatever that is?? Any ideas people, can you enlighten me/point me in the right direction please?

All knowledge gratefully received, and if anyone has an old Project 321 ‘clamp on’ adapter they are looking to sell, then even better!
    Thank guys.

wwaswas

Unless you *really* like the Lefty I’d probably sell it and the wheel and buy a conventional fork and wheel.

The overall cost may well end up being less than the conversion kit once you take sale value of the fork into account.

I’d check with Cy regarding warranty on what is, in effect, a triple clamp type fork too.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Slap the Lefty on if you can. Mine was awesome on my Simple. 8)

letmetalktomark

Personally I would use an internal lower cup to start with then you can use a std Lefty4All steerer if you can find one! This way you should be able to use your existing clamps.

I think this is also the cheaper of the options.

Its the same (IIRC) HT configuration as my Skookum.

amedias
    Free Member

The 321 adaptor is what you need, or the Cannondale lefty-4-all (same thing basically)

http://qwertycycles.co.uk/collections/lefty_parts/products/cannondale-lefty-4-all-11-8-steerer-kh075

You’ll also need to decide on what headset to use, that will dictate what you need to do about getting a crown race adaptor, some will need an extra reducer for the bottom race to make the 1 1/8 steerer fit the 1.5 lower cup, where as some headsets will have a different crown race to make this conversion with one piece.

I’d keep the lefty, they’re great, serviceable and will go on for years. Theres more than a few of us that have run one on a Soul or Simple and they suit them very well, although if yours is an older 100mm travel model it might be a little short travel for the frame depending on what kind of build you were going for. (personally I think Soul rides great @100-120mm)

fozzybear
    Free Member

Stealth.
    Is your headtube tapered.
    (needing a bigger headset at the bottom than the top).
    If so you may need a step down adapter for your lower headset race.
    normally you would put a 1.5 inch steerer in this part but the adapter for your lefty needs a 1 1/8 headset top and bottom.
    Speak to Cotic as i don’t what your headtube sizings are and tell then you need a headset for a none tapered 1 1/8 steerer.

letmetalktomark

No need for crown reducers etc …. just use an internal lower 1 1/8” cup 😉

RustyMac

As per Mark,

The 44mm standard allows for an internal 1 1/8th headset or an external 1.5 headset.

The 34mm is a traditional external 1 1/8 headset.

The headset cups you would need would look just like his pipedream.

ben10
    Free Member

Iv looked in to this when I was thinking about swaping my f1000 jakyll. If you loom no ebay you can get standerd and tapered shear conversions . Whant lefty are you using.

gavrobb
    Free Member

Lefty is a great fork. Ebay right now has a 2011 Lefty advertised for 29’er (90mm – 120mm model) Gus also mentions he has the Project 321 adapter for sale seperately. Worth a look.

Good luck

amedias
    Free Member

ben10, while I applaud the spirit of your post and the attempt to help, I have to ask… are your fingers drunk?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Smart phones aren’t so smart.

unovolo
    Free Member

Get a standard 321 or Lefty 4 all steerer adaptor.
    Then mix and match your headset parts,
    Standard 1-1/8th External uppercup
    Internal 1-1/8th lowercup to fit 1.5 Headtube.
    Might as well go with Hope like Mark has

Job done.

Stealthbike
    Free Member

Guys, thanks for all the feedback – looks like the ‘Lefty for all’ may be the best option with an internal lower cup at 1-1/8th, it’s all very technical! Certainly looks the cheapest option, although someone mentioned the Leonardi Racing, if that would work?

My lefty is a 2003 HeadShok Lefty DLR (max 90mm I think). Still great and VERY MUCH part of any future build.

DanW
    Free Member

Unless you *really* like the Lefty I’d probably sell it and the wheel and buy a conventional fork and wheel.

The overall cost may well end up being less than the conversion kit once you take sale value of the fork into account.

The only bad advice here 😀

My lefty is a 2003 HeadShok Lefty DLR (max 90mm I think). Still great and VERY MUCH part of any future build.

It is either a Lefty (single sided fork) or a headshock (forks either side of the wheel). It can’t be both and it very much changes if it is possible. No way to get a headshock on the Cotic!

135 gap between the brackets

Sounds like you have a Lefty. In which case a tapered Leonardi would be my pick since it is lighter, cheaper and can be used with your existing headset. Project 321 also do a tapered version if you prefer.. A good video here of the fit.

wwaswas

Not bad, just different 😉

Stealthbike
    Free Member

It’s just a ‘DLR lefty’, was reading of the old manual cover

Stealthbike
    Free Member

The key to point out to casual observers is there is a difference between the old style ‘clamp on’ Lefty and the new, fixed ‘in mould’ bracket version – the ‘Project 321 tapered specific adapter’ does NOT work with the old style ‘clamp on’ lefty – as advised by the guys at Project 321 – hence my reservations about other recommendations.

I have gone for the Lefty for all – as I”m hoping Cannondale made something that would work for both old and new styles !? :-\

letmetalktomark

Where did you get the adapter from?

DanW
    Free Member

I think the two Lefty designs refers to the old style where the steerer was bonded in to one of the clamps but I’m not sure. Like this is what I have in mind:

In this instance you wouldn’t be able to remove the steerer and swap it for something else. Not 100% if this is correct though and you are best off emailing a picture of your fork to P321 and get their advice. The STW thread from that pic is here

amedias
    Free Member

In this instance you wouldn’t be able to remove the steerer and swap it for something else. Not 100% if this is correct though

For ref, you can, there are adaptors out there for the old style clamps, but a bit more involved as you have to drill out a pop rivet from the bottom crown, then press out the original steerer and then press in the new one with reducing collar, and replace the pop rivet with a small m4 screw

Not sure if the lefty 4 all’s will work, but there was an older 321 version that did (not sure if still produced), I have one fitted to an original DLR with those style clamps ^

unovolo
    Free Member

For ref, you can, there are adaptors out there for the old style clamps, but a bit more involved as you have to drill out a pop rivet from the bottom crown, then press out the original steerer and then press in the new one with reducing collar, and replace the pop rivet with a small m4 screw

This is pretty much what I did with mine however instead of using a screw I drilled and tapped the hole and fitted a stainless steel grubscrew and had the clamps powdercoated to match my frame.

You can just see it on the left below the bottom cup on the pic below.

Stealthbike
    Free Member

Mmm, this is all making me think it’s a step too far, maybe stick with what I have. Loath to lose Lefty, but it all seems to much hassle and coat to switch it to a new frame, shame, the new frame idea will have to be put on hold.

J273
    Free Member

I’ve a project 321 adapter for sale tapered – brand new and uncut.

They come to over £100 shipped from project 321 and then there’s customs.

If your interested drop me an email in profile

Cheers

amedias
    Free Member

It’s really not that much hassle, you buy a steerer, and spend ~30mins fitting it and get to keep your lefty!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Do it!

Love my a Lefty… I’m due a new one now.. This ones 10yrs old, but still spotty dog.

Stealthbike
    Free Member

So, Teetosugars – That means your Lefty is pretty much the same age as mine, and if your running it on a Dialled frame, then whatever you’re using to get it to fit, is what I need?

Amedia & J273 – if only it were that EASY! But virtually all the adapters around don’t suit the old style ‘clamp on’ Lefty, the guys at 321 said the ‘tapered 321’ would not work, shame would have had that off you J321.

Amedia – I’m afraid it’s not just about buying a steerer as they don’t all allow the lefty to fit.

unovolo
    Free Member

I used the ‘lefty 4 all’ from Qwerty cycles
    http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/cannondale-lefty-4-all-11-8-steerer-kh075

Even though its not listed as being for use with the clamps that I have on my fork (Lefty Max 130)it will fit , as stated before it just needs the rivet drilling out and a grubscrew fitting in its place.
    The rivet/grubscrew is only to help prevent any unwanted movement ,the replacement steerer with spacer is that tight a fit that the rivet/screw is almost redundant.

IMO its worth the effort.

“Stealthbike” where are you based? if you local to Manchester/glossop area I will happily lend a hand fitting it up if you get the parts, I have headset press,drill,taps etc.

unovolo
    Free Member

One last thing to bear in mind is the overall stack height of headtube and headset cups, if its more than the 135mm spacing on the lefty clamps then you can forget fitting it.

I’d imagine with a internal bottom cup for the headset it wont be but its worth checking.

Rickos
    Free Member

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Lefty Adapter for Cotic Soul frame…’ is closed to new replies.